Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon AR 1.4/57 @ NEX-7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Konica Hexanon AR 1.4/57 @ NEX-7 Reply with quote

Most of the shots at f/2 or f/2.8, some at f/1.4 or f/5.6.
All images just shot in JPG, ISO 200. PP = basic levels adjustment, some reshapening after resizing and the frame, of course.

HexNex02 by LucisPictor, on Flickr

HexNex03 by LucisPictor, on Flickr

HexNex04 by LucisPictor, on Flickr

3 (100% crop, no sharpening!!)

digger_crop by LucisPictor, on Flickr

HexNex05 by LucisPictor, on Flickr

4 (100% crop, no sharpening!!)

digger_crop_mud by LucisPictor, on Flickr

HexNex06 by LucisPictor, on Flickr

5 (100% crop, no sharpening!!)

deco_crop by LucisPictor, on Flickr

HexNex07 by LucisPictor, on Flickr

HexNex08 by LucisPictor, on Flickr

7 (100% crop, no sharpening!!)

bike_crop by LucisPictor, on Flickr

8 (just cropped from #7!)

HexNex09 by LucisPictor, on Flickr

HexNex11 by LucisPictor, on Flickr

HexNex10 by LucisPictor, on Flickr

11 (100% crop, no sharpening!!)

drops_crop by LucisPictor, on Flickr

If you use an even better lens and stop it down a little, you don't need a close-up lens any more!

And boy, I am so happy to have a new and fast computer now. Those JPGs are about 5 MB not to mention the RAW-files! Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see that NEX-7 exercise outdoors! Wink

How do you find the sharpness of the lens at f1.4. See my thread here, a cousin of your lens.
http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-50mm-f1-4-goes-to-the-park-t45801.html

50/14 supposedly better than 57/14. But I don't see that so far. My OMZ 50/1.4 MC is way better at f1.4.

I did not shoot anything smaller as if I wanted good performance at anything smaller, I could choose any lens in my collection.

Last edited by stingOM on Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #1. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Great to see that NEX-7 exercise outdoors! Wink

How do you find the sharpness of the lens at f1.4. See my thread here, a cousin of your lens.
http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-50mm-f1-4-goes-to-the-park-t45801.html

50/14 supposedly better than 57/14.

Yes, that's what they say. I cannot compare, since I do not own the 1.4/50. I also think that my Zuiko 1.4/50 might be a little sharper. The Hexanon 1.4/57 is probably on par with my Nikkor-S.C 1.4/50.
But when I buy such an "old" lens like the 1.4/57, I do not aim at perfect sharpness, rather at a special character.
This 1.4/57 shows considerable CA wide open but sharpnes is not really an issue (as you can see in the 100% crops).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know what you mean. Thanks Carsten!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive, Carsten. That Hexanon renders very well saturated colors and the NEX-7 does an excellent job of recording them. Neglecting the CA, of course, which can be removed in PP.

So, have you tried it out at high ISOs yet? I'm curious how it performs at high ISOs with such a high megapixel count.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Decoration photo is fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

So, have you tried it out at high ISOs yet? I'm curious how it performs at high ISOs with such a high megapixel count.

http://forum.mflenses.com/yes-yes-7-times-yes-t45740.html#1194427

http://forum.mflenses.com/yes-yes-7-times-yes-t45740,start,15.html#1194472

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That ISO 6400 shot has about the same level of noise that I get with my Canon XS (1000D) at ISO 400. Sad My camera's high ISO performance is so poor, I rarely take it off its ISO 100 setting. Another reason why I'm feeling the NEX temptation. Honestly, the NEX-7 is pretty much exactly the camera I was hoping Sony would come out with -- except its APS-C instead of FF. Oh well, can't have everything, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
-- except its APS-C instead of FF. Oh well, can't have everything, I guess.

Honestly, I am pretty happy that is it APS-C for two reasons:
1. Had it been developed as FF, I would not have been able to afford it.
2. With such a short register distance, a FF sensor would have caused serious trouble with corner performance!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good to me Carsten!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Next will be some shots with a "better" lens. Perhaps the Summicron 2/50...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn good!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one from tonight. Taken "free hand" with the Konica Hexanon 1.8/40 (Pancake), JPEG, ISO1600, 1/15sec:

Last edited by LucisPictor on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
-- except its APS-C instead of FF. Oh well, can't have everything, I guess.

Honestly, I am pretty happy that is it APS-C for two reasons:
1. Had it been developed as FF, I would not have been able to afford it.
2. With such a short register distance, a FF sensor would have caused serious trouble with corner performance!

Yeah, I can unfortunately agree with number 1, but I'm trying to understand number 2. The Nex allows one to place the lens at the registration distance it was designed to be used at. So why would there be a problem with corner performance, unless the lens already had a problem with it to begin with?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
... but I'm trying to understand number 2. The Nex allows one to place the lens at the registration distance it was designed to be used at. So why would there be a problem with corner performance, unless the lens already had a problem with it to begin with?

The bigger the sensor, the flatter the angle in which the light shines on the surface.
The flatter the angle, the more it deteriorates image quality.

If the register distance is rather long, this effect is not as visible as with a shorter one - and the NEX has a very shot register distance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That means, I think, that lenses like 35mm Jupiter for RF would not be succesfully applicable. But a 35mm or 28mm Rokkor can hardly be seen like that. Sensor - lens distance is not that short!

Nice pictures and lovely portrait anyhow.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation. Hrm . . . all the more reason for me to continue shooting slides with my old 35mm cameras. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it does a great job. Seems like a really nice camera.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
That means, I think, that lenses like 35mm Jupiter for RF would not be succesfully applicable. But a 35mm or 28mm Rokkor can hardly be seen like that. Sensor - lens distance is not that short!

That's perfectly right!
Some NEX-7 users have reported about a colour cast in the corners when using wide angle RF lenses (below 24mm). I cannot tell if that is right, because I do not one of those. But on Jan 4 I'm going to meet a friend who owns (and brings) a Zeiss 2.8/21 ZM.
With SLR wide angle lenses such as the CZJ Flek 4/20 this colour cast does not exist. (OK, I still have to really test it and try to provoke it, but I have not seen it so far.) That'S becaue the adapter adjusts the register distance to that of the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely set Carsten.

Are we reaching the point with these digital cameras where the IQ is a diminishing issue and the character becomes all?

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Lovely set Carsten.

Are we reaching the point with these digital cameras where the IQ is a diminishing issue and the character becomes all?

patrickh

I think so, Patrick. Thers is not much difference in IQ if I shoot with my 40D, 5D, NEX-3, NEX-7 or even the Sigma DP1s.
Nowadays, it's rather the handling and "feel" of a camera that distinguishes cameras.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
patrickh wrote:
Lovely set Carsten.

patrickh

I think so, Patrick. Thers is not much difference in IQ if I shoot with my 40D, 5D, NEX-3, NEX-7 or even the Sigma DP1s.
Nowadays, it's rather the handling and "feel" of a camera that distinguishes cameras.

much agreed! I bought a NEX5N not looking for better IQ than that of my Pentax K-x but obviously because of the difference of shooting experience with the small and light body, the manual focus aids, LCD and EVF..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results, Carsten, love the smooth bokeh in these, the colors.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the first one the best. Autumnal brown colours and you can almost feel the texture of the leaves Cool