Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon 55mm f3.5 sometimes also with Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Konica Hexanon 55mm f3.5 sometimes also with Macro Reply with quote

Hello Forum,
here are some results of experiments with the Hexanon 55mm f3.5. Soimetimes I used the macro distance ring. I cannot remember in which cases I used the macro setting on the lense (there is a macro switch..). The first series is a play with a face motive from a simple plastic puppet (typical housewife rummage) under candle light.

And now some garden pictures:

Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 55/3.5 macro has no Macro switch, it goes from infinity to 2:1, so you have me puzzled, okay, it does have a switch, I've just never used it, sounds like an innovative solution.
According to http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e55_35.html
Quote:
The Macro-Hexanon AR 55 mm / F3.5 has a very user-friendly and simple system to compensate for this loss of effective speed. When the respective lever ist set to manual exposure, the actual size of the aperture opening is adjusted automatically when shifting focus. For example, if the lens is set to aperture 11, the lens has an opening resulting in an effective speed of F11 at every focusing distance. When set to close focus distances, the actual opening of the aperture blades is larger than when set to longer focus distances. Thus, the loss of speed is compensated for automatically. Obviously, this does not work when the aperture is fully open already, as the aperture cannot be opened any further – in this case you can see the effective speed on a scale on the lens barrel (the green figures in the image). With all other aperture values, the lens always has the effective speed set on the aperture ring, no matter what distance focus is set to.

When using the body's own through-the-lens light meter in AE mode, this compensation is not necessary. The light meter meters the light level that passes the lens. If this level is becoming darker, the meter would automatically choose a wider aperture, so that the light loss is automatically compensated for with TTL metering. For use with the TTL meter, the lever should hence be set to the automatic exposure position. But for use with external light meters and manually controlled exposure, the built-in compensation is a real help and simplification.

My aperture does change as I approach MFD with the M setting, does yours? It's easier to see with a small aperture, focus the lens to MFD, than switch from EE/AE to M and watch the aperture become a tiny bit bigger.
Oh, and the M = Manual, not Macro.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this comment, I did not notice this meaning of the "M" position. Does it have an effect if I use the A Mode of my Olympus Pen? Usually, the camera is calculating the exposure time and I do manually set the aperture. There is no drive to readjust the aperture automatically depending on focus shifting. May be I'm a little bit slow-witted at this late time... Confused

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Here are some pictures more Reply with quote

The procedure for these macros is still not optimal, since I work more or less freehand, a small tripod is presses against my body.
There also no light extension, no flash, only the daylight. Because this, I try to handle exposure times usually in range of 1/2 .. 1/15 sec.
Of course I get a lot of waste. On the other hand, the fun is bigger, if despite these conditions I get some nice pics.
I'm feeling a little bit like a hunter in the micro scale of our garden.

Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly shoot hand held too, I find tripods to restrictive with the exception of night shots.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Here are some pictures more Reply with quote

Dachs wrote:
The procedure for these macros is still not optimal, since I work more or less freehand, a small tripod is presses against my body.
There also no light extension, no flash, only the daylight. Because this, I try to handle exposure times usually in range of 1/2 .. 1/15 sec.
Of course I get a lot of waste. On the other hand, the fun is bigger, if despite these conditions I get some nice pics.
I'm feeling a little bit like a hunter in the micro scale of our garden.

It could eventually increase your success rate dramatically to use a flash for macro (free hand) photography.
Here is an (old) example of using a ring flash for insect hunting (original picture, no crop):