Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon 28mm 7/7 AR flare questions.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Konica Hexanon 28mm 7/7 AR flare questions. Reply with quote

Hi everyone (first post),

I need to get a 28mm for my a7s and there's an early Konica Hexanon 7/7 element version available, however the 7/7 version only has a single coating due to the age of it's design.
Does anyone have any experience with the lens and flaring issues?
I've heard it's an immaculate lens however I'm a film maker and will be using it on a stabilizer so I'm concerned that the flare might be an issue.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 7 element version and have had good experiences using it on the A7II, however I don't recall ever using it in circumstances where flair would be an issue.

The Buhle website addresses the issue as:

"The Hexanon / Hexanon AR 28 mm / F3.5 is not very sensitive to stray light. With its big and not recessed front element, the consequent use of a lens hood is recommended in most situations to avoid loss of contrast, however. A matching rectangular metal lens hood was part of the lens kit delivered by Konica at least for some time. For later, non-preset versions, it is the same lens hood as for the other 28 mm and the 24 mm lenses. This original lens hood is quite deep and shades very well. Of course third party lens hoods can be used as well, but the original lens hood is worth it, if you can get one."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh okay, I didn't think the hood shape would have such a significant difference here.
Overall newst how do you find the lens?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Konica hood is not difficult to find on Ebay nor very expensive. It is the same hood used on the Konica 24mm.

I am not an accomplished wide angle photographer, more comfortable between 45-85mm, but I am working on that.

How do I like the lens? It is very good. Easy to focus on the A7II and paints nicely. Edges and corners aren't the sharpest with this combo but I would prefer not to drag this discussion into the Kolari mod debate...enough already.

I don't do video so I can't help you there, except that the Hexanon lenses have an aperture control that is primarily designed to work with Konica's camera auto-aperture control. The aperture ring may be the most difficult to operate of any of the major SLR brands. Not really a problem for photography but it could be a pain for video. I would recommend that you actually play with a Hexanon AR lens (they are for all practical purposes the same in this) before you spend money on any lens.

Admittedly post procesed but provides an idea of what the lens can do.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more samples i took: http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-28mm-f-3-5-7-7-version-t71738,highlight,%2Bhexanon+%2B7+%2B7.html

Cheers René!