Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon 100mm f2.8 EE. 2nd version, w samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Konica Hexanon 100mm f2.8 EE. 2nd version, w samples Reply with quote

Konica Hexanon 100mm f2.8 EE, 2nd version, all metall build.
Using with nex5n.

I have use this lens just a few times, but keep looking back the images... due to it's buttery bokeh.

First time use, a mix between f2.8 and f4, but if I remember correct, these images are at f4.
no PP. WB set to daylight in nex5n - Before noon, I like the light as is.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent painting on a 5n! Beautiful bokeh too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tipical hexanon's short tele rendering. My 85/1,8 did in the same way. Not excesive contrast very good sharpness and something cooler the colours. Congrats!!

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say WOW when chiming the first image from this lens.
and recently another WOW with the hexanon 85.

Both mine are all metal build.
I should collect them many years earlier when they were cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice hoan. i had not seen samples from this lens before. very smooth and good color.
tony

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much like the rendering. Nice shots.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Woodrim.
At first I though some of the images was wide open at f2.8, but examine closer, and more test shots, they are all at f4. The sharp edges in bokeh highlight rending were well hidden for this lens. In certain distances, the hexagon bokeh still visible.

Hi Tony,
I was surprised how this lens was rending the bokeh highlight. 100mm was not the most used focal for me since they are both hard-to-find and some what pricy. I tend to pay for an 85mm than for a 100mm. F4 is just perfect for 100mm.

I also have some more samples for you to see how this lens rending in different f-stops. Wide open will be later. All images taken with the nex5n, no PP, colors are a bit warmer, but I like it very much.

#1 At f8

#2 At f8

#3 At f8

#4 At f5.6, 4-6 feet/1.5-2m distance

#4 At f5.6, 100% crop

#5 At f5.6, about 4 feet/1.3m

#6 At f4, about 4 feet/1.3m

#7 At f4, 6-7 feet/2-2.5m but closer background distance

#8 At f4, 7-10feet/2-3m distance, Both subject and background are in typical portrait distances.

Last edited by hoanpham on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoan this is pretty impressive, maybe more so than the 85/1.8? bokeh even at f8 seems very nice. lens also seems to have very narrow DOF even at 5.6. i just bought one yesterday for very good price, i hope i like it better than the 85...
tony

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Tony!

I haven't play much with the hexanon 85/1.8, but first impression is good.
Without compare directly, I think 100mm at f5.6 and 85mm at f4 is the best for portrait distance, at least my style of shooting.
I like 85mm at f4 because I would like to have a slightly background context, not just completely blurred out.

The flowers photos are typical portrait distances. The bumblebee has 4-6 feet/1.5-2m distance. MFD of the 100mm is about 3 feet/1m. #5 and #6 is about 4 feet/1.3m. #7 is 6-7 feet/2-2.5m.

I also have the Olympus 100mm/2.8 not MC that haven't been used much, and the Pentax M 100/2.8 which had been my trusted lens for years. Pentax too has no hash edges in bokeh, but it has more visible shape. A few steps back with the 100mm, it's like 85mm f2. And FYI, I also got the J9 silver, 7/10 condition, in m39 but with m42 ring - my first russian.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hexanon 85 is sharp from 2,8 and better at f/8-11.
Medium contrast.

The 100 is an animal of different specie. Another formula.

The 100 rendering is similar to the minolta 100/2,5.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rino, I wasn't aware of the differences.

They are all different:

Zuiko 100/2.8:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/100mm1.htm

Pentax M 100/2.8:

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/primes/short-tele/M100f2.8.html

Hexanon 100/2.8:

http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e100_28.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful samples, people usually pass Konica Hexanons which is silly , Konica was one of the oldest factory in Japan and top maker. You did prove it with this series , beautiful pictures!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila,
With the right distances the lens is just awesome.

I didn't know that I can use f8 with a 100mm to give the result of #1 from second series.
#3 hasn't the same 3D effect as #1 until I view the photo in full screen.
At f8, I need to plan the distances, but at f5.6 and f4 the outcomes just... nice.

I like f5.6 most, as the background is not washed out too much.

Funny is I had only shot very few photos at wide open, and just focus on f4, f5.6 and f8 - very unlike me Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenses usually perform best at F8, I always use them F8-F11 if I can and very helpful to get surely sharp image.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Beautiful samples, people usually pass Konica Hexanons which is silly , Konica was one of the oldest factory in Japan and top maker. You did prove it with this series , beautiful pictures!

I wish they did, then I would have bought a lot more of Hexanons Laughing

Btw, when I tested lenses with test charts, I found that f5.6 is the optimal aperture for most good lenses 100mm and below. Beautiful images indeed and the lens is a cracker for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VG results from another Hexanon lens that I'll probably never buy because of silly prices Sad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is almost no "konica ar hexanon" in the local ad, once or twice a year.
I wish people jump over hexanon as well.