Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica C35
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, the problems for guys like us who still like to shoot on film every now and then are increasing almost everywhere.

Once a man in local shop asked me why I "still shoot on film" and if I "do not have a digital cam" with an expression on his face that showed a mixture of pity and arrogance. I told him that I had so many digital cams that I could open a shop myself, but just "like" to shoot on film sometimes.
When he said that developing a film would at least take a week, I left the shop and never was seen there again.
It is a shame, since this shop is the traditional local camera shop with a history of several generations.

Thank God, we have another shop close by, a new one, which, however, offers great service.

C41 colour negatives incl. scan on CD needs about 2-3 days and is per film Euro 6,-.
The same is true for C41 B&W and slides.

"Regular" b&w needs about 5 days incl. scan on CD and is a little more expensive.

Medium format needs about a week and cannot be scanned, but they develop it. And that is most important.

I will get about 4 MPix images on CD that show a acceptable quality, fair enough. If I want highest quality, I have to scan for myself.

They sell colour negative films from ISO 100 to 400 and slides with ISO 200 and Kodak CN400BW rolls, no medium format, though, but you can order it, as you can with ISO 1600 film.

Let's hope that some shop owners understand that film is not dead yet (and, I guess, will never die). It also depends on how many people still hand in film rolls.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
Hello,

Here (Oradea/romania) is a bit different:

-The developing can be made in 1 hour till 3 days (depends on how much you pay).

-The C41 is the only developing process used (bye bye slides and B&W) . For B&W I have the chance to do it at home but for E-6... Sad

-The only accepted format is 35mm (no medium, no large, no nothing) Sad

-The films you can buy are of ISO 200 (no 100 or 400 or else) and mostly cheep ones (and bad) - some Konica , old Agfa . The best I could find are Kodak Gold 200 and Fuji Superia 200. So you can't buy slides and very, but very rare whtn you can find a B&W film (Fomapan).

-The films are kept in store, no frige is used (I didn't see it). Sad

-The scannings are of relatively poor quality (here too, the option is to scan it myself)

With all this, my joy of shooting film is turnin into disappointment Sad .

Well, I hope this cheers you up a little!

First, it is possible to do C-41 and E-6 processing yourself with these kits. I've recently started developing and scanning B&W film again after many years. It's good fun and the results are much better than the lab's. I'm going to try the E6 process with 120 Velvia 50 soon.

If you have any trouble sourcing film or chemicals, try Speed Graphic. They ship worldwide.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thank you for the tip.

But to develop C41 and/od E6 don't you nedd high temperatures (~38 Celsius or so). For BW it would be needed ~20 degrees celsius . Am I wrong ?
Thanks again.

Cosmin.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Let's hope that some shop owners understand that film is not dead yet (and, I guess, will never die). It also depends on how many people still hand in film rolls.

Carsten, you're right. This is one of the reasons why I do want to shoot film...

On the other hand, once I've gotten my pictures on paper on my hands and the red film in its envelope, some great feelings have come back.
Looking at the pictures, I realised that these digital years have come handy to improve the shooting ability. 23 out of 24 were properly focused, reasonably aligned with the horizon and following the basic composition rules. Digital is a good trainer to shoot film.

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

If you have any trouble sourcing film or chemicals, try Speed Graphic. They ship worldwide.

Hi Peter!
Thanks for the reference!. My next experiment is B&W, and I'd like to take the dust off from the Patterson tank...

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
Hello and thank you for the tip.

But to develop C41 and/od E6 don't you nedd high temperatures (~38 Celsius or so). For BW it would be needed ~20 degrees celsius . Am I wrong ?
Thanks again.

Cosmin.

Hello Cosmin. I don't know anything about the Tetenal process yet, except that it is intended for use in ordinary home equipment and it has three stages. The person who will know all about it is "rootprompt" on the other forum. I guess he wouldn't mind a question by email and if you get an answer please tell us all! Smile