Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica 85/1,8 hexanon AR EE
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Konica 85/1,8 hexanon AR EE Reply with quote

I just got this lens.not cheap. I haven't test it.
I saw different version of 85/1,8 konica, mine has 55 filter ring. Any info of production?
tomorrow will test this lens.
@ Attila...you the one who responsible of this Konicamania Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing You will love it , most Konica lenses has 55mm filter thread. Congrats! It was wise descision to buy it, this lens never was inexpensive and I believe it's price will be higher and higher due we can use them on all mirror lens camera.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great lens well worth what you paid when you compare it to price of competitors that yield it's kind of IQ.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see pics, congrats, it's next on my Hex list.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my opinion at first day
Not as sharp as Takumar 85/1,9 at wideopen but I can see detail
very thin DOF, even at 2,8
Shows some CA
Ok, here's first shot
All wideopen except 2nd & crop

f2,8

crop from above

iya by iaza, on Flickr

lamp by iaza, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide open it seems to be not the best performer. It looks like it has exactly same "unsharpness-character" as the Konica 40mm F1.8 wide open Wink But it's a very very nice lens anyway Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, no offense to anyone intended, but i'm not quite sure what folks lens performance expectations are or how realistic they may be. in my experience no lens is at optimum sharpness wide open, and not many photographers i know shoot wide open to achieve sharpness. for portraits, i guess i always thought to shoot wide open BECAUSE it will yield a slightly softer focus. in my experience the sharpness, or lack thereof, of a lens is judged about 2 stops down from open. by 2.8 this lens equals the planar 85/1.4, imho.

also, any 85mm lens ive ever seen has an extremely narrow wide open DOF--usually less than 1foot. if anyone knows an 85 with a wide DOF wide open let me know!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
wow, no offense to anyone intended, but i'm not quite sure what folks lens performance expectations are or how realistic they may be. in my experience no lens is at optimum sharpness wide open, and not many photographers i know shoot wide open to achieve sharpness. for portraits, i guess i always thought to shoot wide open BECAUSE it will yield a slightly softer focus. in my experience the sharpness, or lack thereof, of a lens is judged about 2 stops down from open. by 2.8 this lens equals the planar 85/1.4, imho.

also, any 85mm lens ive ever seen has an extremely narrow wide open DOF--usually less than 1foot. if anyone knows an 85 with a wide DOF wide open let me know!

+1

Use a little PS , sharpening , contrast, color boost and it will improve a lot! or/and shoot with your camera in vivid color mode and set more sharpness there if possible.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also focus and shutter speeds come into play. at 85mm, or 130mm on apsc or 170mm on m4/3, must have at least shutter speed of 1/85, 1/125 or 1/180 respectively to not get camera shake interfere with clarity. whe subjects are moving, like these, you need even faster SS's. and with the narrow DOF of 85mm wide open, absolute accuracy in focus is imperative--6 inches off will ruin focus and give 'appearance' of lack of sharpness.

if you really want to test against your pentax, put camera on tripod, ensure critical focus, shoot same subject in same light at same settings. would be a good experiment, no?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:

Well, I do not expect a lens to be perfectly sharp at wide open aperture, but I expect that it could be at least "not soft"

Just take a look at the Canon AF 85mm 1.8, is AMZINGLY sharp wide-open, so sharp that it's strange, other lens that is very sharp wide open is the Zeiss 135/1.8, ans lots of other lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
also focus and shutter speeds come into play. at 85mm, or 130mm on apsc or 170mm on m4/3, must have at least shutter speed of 1/85, 1/125 or 1/180 respectively to not get camera shake interfere with clarity. whe subjects are moving, like these, you need even faster SS's. and with the narrow DOF of 85mm wide open, absolute accuracy in focus is imperative--6 inches off will ruin focus and give 'appearance' of lack of sharpness.

if you really want to test against your pentax, put camera on tripod, ensure critical focus, shoot same subject in same light at same settings. would be a good experiment, no?

I don't think it's camera shake, look the picture of the woman singing, it has that "bloomy" effect, the same thing happens with my Rokkor 35/1.8. Soft wide-open and super sharp at f/2.8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell:
Quote:

You right about that, too bad I already sold my Takumar.
I know what I'm doing. I almost always shot wideopen except I need to stopdown. I used Tak a lot that I can feel the different with this lens. like Ivan said, itsn't about speed/shake. I shot stop down for leaf shot, it's sharper, and not shake.
I think the important point is, this lens has narrower dof,in wideopen, little difficult to get focus. This is same case with my Hexanon 50/1,4

Attila, I don't do PP for lens sample Smile I did PP for fun or real chalenge or other reason.

here's the leaf at stopped down (I dont remember F)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make no PP just some bad than make over PP, we have different cameras from cheap ones to high ends. PP makes camera independent samples. Just one example Tamron SP 17 did look crap on Olympus E-1 and Panasonic G1 and looks to very good on NEX.
If I make no PP and publish result straight from camera who don't know this lens he think , this lens is crap ...
Camera settings also very vary, Olympus E-1 with default setting made soft . crap images. had to increase saturation , sharpness in camera body. So makes no PP not better at all than make proper PP and show best from lens... a crap lens with best PP still crap, but PP can help to a lens to show best IQ what lens able to produce.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree for that Attila Smile I'm too lazy to edit
here's other sample taken just few minutes ago
wideopen

crop from above

the lens

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing IAZA.

This lens was one of my dream lens once, before I knew that Konica lens is not adaptable to Canon FF without saving mirror Smile (I am still stay with FF and not have plan to buy a mirrorless cam Very Happy )

By the way, is it still adaptable to APSC camera?

How many version does this 85/1.8 have?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Thanks for sharing IAZA.

This lens was one of my dream lens once, before I knew that Konica lens is not adaptable to Canon FF without saving mirror Smile (I am still stay with FF and not have plan to buy a mirrorless cam Very Happy )

By the way, is it still adaptable to APSC camera?

How many version does this 85/1.8 have?

I dont think it's adaptable on APSC cam. I saw 135mm adapted but never 85mm
check this out for version http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e85_18.html
still WO
other sample

F4

crop from previous picture

Last edited by IAZA on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A used NEXT body cost not high better idea to buy one instead of ruin lens with conversion. I know three version of this lens, EE this les, AE latest one and earliest Konishiroku made for Konica F (I never see any perhaps it is not exists)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@IAZA & Attila: thanks for the info.

The bokeh highlight on the first photo above looks like Pancolar bokeh, which has pronounced ring.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to like this lens. color is amazing, true color. I rare using such lens with capability to produce good color with standard setting on cam.
Green is real green.
look here, with other lenses, usually I must change setting to vivid mode to get real green
with this lens, vivid mode just add more contrast (it become more dark, I should increase speed of other setting ), but green color actually remain same.
took this few minutes ago;
landscape mode

vivid mode

portrait mode

now bokeh sample from other day

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nixland

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thaidphoto.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D134102&act=url

The above Thai link seems to have a conversion of the AR 50mm f1.4. I found this as I have a AR 57mm f1.4 that I'd like to convert and try.
So it seems it can be done, the conversion is a destructive one Very Happy -seems like it involves shaving/grinding- to achieve infinity.

Last edited by Kathmandu on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eek, don't convert such a great lens, there are lots of other 1.4s you could use instead!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Eek, don't convert such a great lens, there are lots of other 1.4s you could use instead!

I know , know -I've been saving it for a mirrorless camera or a M4/3rds-just have not decided yet. Smile

Seems this 85mm produces -Lovely bokeh Iaza.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, I already made up my mind not to get Hexanon lens on my Canon DSLR ... only Rokkor and Canon FD lens .. Smile

Hope next year or in the future Canon (or Nikon or any brand) will make an affordable mirrorless full-frame camera ......
Cause I am still hooked with FF format and still adamant to buy non-FF mirrorless ... haha Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a model just now, my neighbor

crop 100%
I must admit it sharp enough for me, different with takumar is little, this lens is harder to get focus 'coz it has thinner dof, 0,1 different Very Happy

my friend tried to modified this Konica hexanon 57/1,2 to EOS, but it seem no chance to achive infinty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

+1