Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica 55mm macro ..Macro adapter or Extension tubes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Konica 55mm macro ..Macro adapter or Extension tubes Reply with quote

Hi i got my konica hexanon macro lens a few weeks ago,i too some shots with it and it's amazing.now i want to further the possibilities.

Question is what would you guys recommend..the official konica macro adapter or some AR extension tubes set.

Thanks in advance.[/b]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Konica 55mm macro ..Macro adapter or Extension tubes Reply with quote

GrahamR wrote:
Hi i got my konica hexanon macro lens a few weeks ago,i too some shots with it and it's amazing.now i want to further the possibilities.

Question is what would you guys recommend..the official konica macro adapter or some AR extension tubes set.

Thanks in advance.[/b]

Both, plus reverse adapter & bellows. LOL

Seriously, depends on your personal preferences. The adapter is no brainer simple; with, lens magnification range is 1:2 to 1:1. Extention ring combination magnification is easy to calculate & commit to memory. Konica bellows probably has scale. Konica probably published dof table for reversed lens.

More than 1:1 magnification dof can be thin requiring image stacking.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Konica 55mm macro ..Macro adapter or Extension tubes Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
GrahamR wrote:

Thanks in advance.[/b]

Both, plus reverse adapter & bellows. LOL

Seriously, depends on your personal preferences. The adapter is no brainer simple; with, lens magnification range is 1:2 to 1:1. Extention ring combination magnification is easy to calculate & commit to memory. Konica bellows probably has scale. Konica probably published dof table for reversed lens.

More than 1:1 magnification dof can be thin requiring image stacking.

Laugh 1 I'm just dipping my toes first hahahaha..so essentially would the extension rings do the same as the adapter but more because of the ability to stack..or is the adapter a special length that gives exact 1:1 ratio..btw i see you like you Taks..i got three myself 55mm 1.8 smc,135 f35 super and the super 135 f2.5 the rendering is something special and today i realised the 55 is stupid sharp as soon as you start stopping down.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/macro-extension-tubes-closeup.htm

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/focus-stacking.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all trade offs (isn't everything?) The bellows allows for closer focus and more different options for framing. They can be a hassle to set up and use. But well worth it. The bellow will also be useful with the 100mm f4 bellows lens which is quite good should want to go further down the rabbit hole. Macro tubes give more different potential framings than the dedicated 1-1 tube. Konica made a really cool bellow/rail that is both a bellows and a macro rail. If you can find one I highly recommend. Macro rails don't get the buzz I think they should.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Konica 55mm macro ..Macro adapter or Extension tubes Reply with quote

GrahamR wrote:

Thanks in advance.[/b]

With ordinary extension rings you get more flexibility than with the Konica's dedicated adapter for the 55/3.5. But the lens and its adapter are made to go together as one unit. This adapter is not merely an extension ring of a given length. When you mount the lens on it, the lens is reversed, showing you a different magnification, light fallout, and aperture scale. If you check your lens you will see that it has two different aperture scales.
As far as extension tubes are concerned, consider third party ones, as Konica never made extension tubes with auto operation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Thanks all for the great info, both it is then. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread needs some photos! I snagged one of these the other day in near mint condition, in the original case (which was also in darn good condition) caps and 1/1 matched tube.

Only edited for a minor bump to brightness and contrast, scaled for mfl format. This was in my greenhouse with filtered late afternoon sunlight. Taken at maximum extension with tube so 1 to according to the lens, F was at 8 on regular lens dial or 11 on special extension tube factoring dial (I am not sure of the proper terminology).

This is the 100% crop.