Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

konica 50 1.4 vs 1.7 vs 1.8 ...to clarify !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emaq wrote:
Wow! I'm wondering if you guys are the same guys from the old Konica mailing list. I miss that list.

Well, I've been a member of that list for many years. Regretfully, things seem to have come to a virtual standstill there for the past year or so. I realize that only so much that can be said on the same subject over and over again, but the camaraderie on the list was one of the nicest things about it. It had lots of guys whose experience went back decades and who were always eager to share their knowledge with newcomers to the system. I suspect most remain lurkers since hardly anyone ever asks for advice anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the EE 1.7/50, looks identical to mine, she will serve you very well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

Getting an old post back on top, but there is something I sometimes find annoying when I compare the 1.4 and the 1.7 (I own one f1.4, three 1.7, one 1.8 that I sold again and manu other hexanons which I love) : on the 1.4, there is an f2.0 stop between the 1.4 and 2.8 stops. On the 1.7 version, it goes directly from 1.7 to 2.8. Sometimes when you want just a tad more sharpness, it may be a "problem".

About choosing between the 1.4 and 1.7, though, I can't say, really. The fact is, I bought 3 different 1.7s because I intended to "build" one ideal lens from the three and I ended up keeping all three of them because they have their own character and rendering. I don't know why, because they are all of the same version.

All I know is that theses lenses are brilliant. The first legacy lens I bought for my Samsung NX 1000 was a 50/1.7 hexanon. Since then, I started buying more (I have 28/3.5, 35/2.8, 40/1.8x2, 50/1.4, 50/1.7x3, 135/3.5, 200/4 and would like a 85/1.8 but it's too expensive, unfortunately).

Cheers.
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceedjay wrote:
Hi !

Getting an old post back on top, but there is something I sometimes find annoying when I compare the 1.4 and the 1.7 (I own one f1.4, three 1.7, one 1.8 that I sold again and manu other hexanons which I love) : on the 1.4, there is an f2.0 stop between the 1.4 and 2.8 stops. On the 1.7 version, it goes directly from 1.7 to 2.8. Sometimes when you want just a tad more sharpness, it may be a "problem".

Sometime in the mid 1970s, Konica stopped making lenses with half-stops on the aperture ring. This shift happened earlier on some lenses and later on others. This was a cost-saving measure, the reasoning behind which was that users were more likely to use their cameras in AE mode anyway... So one of your lenses has half-stops, while the other have full stops.
If you're using the lenses for filming, you can remove the spring loaded detent ball under the aperture ring and the ring's movement will then be continuous (try to remove the aperture ring under a piece of cloth. It is tiny and if it falls on a thick pile carpet, good luck finding it again).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get one anyway. Hexanon 85 1.8 has become my most used lens on the Sony A7. It flairs a lot, but when it does not I really like the pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
ceedjay wrote:
Hi !

Sometime in the mid 1970s, Konica stopped making lenses with half-stops on the aperture ring. This shift happened earlier on some lenses and later on others. This was a cost-saving measure, the reasoning behind which was that users were more likely to use their cameras in AE mode anyway... So one of your lenses has half-stops, while the other have full stops.
If you're using the lenses for filming, you can remove the spring loaded detent ball under the aperture ring and the ring's movement will then be continuous (try to remove the aperture ring under a piece of cloth. It is tiny and if it falls on a thick pile carpet, good luck finding it again).

Hi !

Between 1.4 and 2.0 is one full stop. Between 1.7 and 2.8 is one and a half stop (actually almost 2 stops, really). Sometimes it can be annoying.

Cheers
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceedjay wrote:

Hi !
Between 1.4 and 2.0 is one full stop. Between 1.7 and 2.8 is one and a half stop (actually almost 2 stops, really). Sometimes it can be annoying.

Cheers
Jay

You are right. I should have read your question more attentively. Going to make myself a cup of coffee... Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

No trouble Wink

Made me remember I have a few questions to ask, here. Will think about posting during the week end.

Cheers
Jérôme

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the lens with EE marking, read the above postings and really interested to test this lens, unfortunately the Adapter is still not reached. Sad