Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Komuranon 3.5/200 on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Komuranon 3.5/200 on NEX-3 Reply with quote

I picked this up very cheap in mint condition, very nice looking lens, very well built. Sadly, performance-wise, it's a dog.

f3.5 - very poor, lot of glow and fringing, decent sharpness, decent contrast
f5.6 - poor, some glow, lots of fringing, quite good sharpness, quite good contrast
f8 - decent, a little glow on highlights, some fringing, good sharpness, good contrast.

Overall, it's usable at f8, but who wants a lens that is only good for f8 or smaller? Also, the min focus distance is a little over 3m which makes it useless for close subjects.

f3.5:

100% crop:

f5.6:

100% crop:

f8:

100% crop:

f3.5:

100% crop:

f5.6:

100% crop:

f8:

100% crop:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some less boring shots:

f8:

100% crop:

f5.6:

100% crop:

f8:

100% crop:

f5.6:

100% crop:

f5.6:

100% crop:

f8:

100% crop:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

later Komura. Rubber grip ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. This is it:

A couple of images it made I think are quite nice, first at f8, second at f11.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity. A handsome piece.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts too, very nice looking lens, very nicely built, feels high quality just doesn't perform very well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As expected.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
As expected.

Why? Is your older copy crap too?

I tested a Kobori 28-200 zoom today as well, and it is a lot better at the 200mm end than this Komura, no fringing, no glow, about equal sharpness and contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, in your earlier related post I predicted you wouldn't like it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a case of liking it or not, it's purely about the performance, and in this case, the performance is poor. Hard to like something that isn't very good. I like the aesthetics of the thing itself and the build quality, but the glass ain't upto much. Seems to have good coatings though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was right, you don't like it.

I believe the later auto-aperture lenses like the Komuranon were not as good. Additionally, they didn't have the many bladed diaphragms. Still, the one I have isn't the easiest lens to use. It should be used where it performs best and not expected to do as well where it doesn't. I like it and get good results with it. I don't think you would.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A telephoto lens that doesn't perform adequately until closed down to f8 isn't much use really. Besides, even at f8 it's markedly inferior to my other 200mm lenses such as the Hexanon 3.5/200 and Topcon 5.6/200, so it isn't a lens I'll persevere with, I just picked up a Mamiya-Sekor CS 3.5/200 dirt cheap that I'm keen to try out.

The optical defects it displays - uncorrected spherical aberration and uncorrected chromatic aberration are to be expected on the one hand and quite surprising on the other.

Uncorrected CA is to be found in all non-APO telephoto lenses to some degree, APO lenses use exotic low dispersion glass to correct this, however this Komura is one of the least good 200mms I've tried as regards CA, the heavy purple fringing is something you see more often with old zoom lenses, the red and green fringing is really severe with this Komura too, most lenses display red and green fringing on out of focus areas but this Komura has it on areas that are in focus too.

Same place, same time , but Kobori 3.5-5.3/28-200, no fringing and sharer - the heat haze is apparent here whereas the Komura masks it due to lack of resolution:

What is surprising is the massive uncorrected spherical aberration that is so clear at full aperture and never fully goes away, even at f11. I suspect that this is due to poor QC and other copies would be better in this regard. Incorrect spacing of one or more elements is the probably cause. If you take a 4/3 tessar type and increase the spacing between the front two elements, you will get spherical aberration; portrait lenses with variable softness control add spherical aberration by varying the spacing of elements.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are correct with the QC/spacing explanation.
I have been playing with fixing a Komura 500mm and I am getting better/worse results by changing spacing of the rear elements. Still looking for a "sweet spot".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the 500 Luis!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I think you are correct with the QC/spacing explanation.
I have been playing with fixing a Komura 500mm and I am getting better/worse results by changing spacing of the rear elements. Still looking for a "sweet spot".

I was hoping you would have better luck with that lens than did I.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I could make my Komura look bad, but I prefer using it like this:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to be honest about the capabilities of a lens than cherry pick examples in order to make it look like a good lens and pamper to my ego. Wink

A lens test is supposed to show what the lens does in a variety of situations and settings, both good and bad; only showing good examples is, quite frankly, being dishonest.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Ian. I thought that picture was representative of what the lens could do. I don't keep my bad shots - out of focus, etc. I'm afraid that all these years of conditioning myself to take good pictures is a hard habit to break. However, to make amends, I just went through a little over 500 of my 3.5/200 Komura shots looking for one as bad as yours. I could only find this one that I didn't like much. Even has heat wave distortions.

If that one isn't honest enough, let me know and I'll go out and try to take a lousy shot.

Last edited by woodrim on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 200/3.5 preset is a different lens and very decent, or mine is anyway.
Komura did make bad lenses.
The 300/5 seems to be generally a turkey, as is the 200/4.5 preset.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
The 200/3.5 preset is a different lens and very decent, or mine is anyway.
Komura did make bad lenses.
The 300/5 seems to be generally a turkey, as is the 200/4.5 preset.

Correct. I've pointed out that mine is a different lens. I once mistaking bought one of the later lenses without realizing it wasn't a preset. And as you know, I couldn't get anything decent from the 500mm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
A lens test is supposed to show what the lens does in a variety of situations and settings, both good and bad; only showing good examples is, quite frankly, being dishonest.

Yes, you can say so.
But on the end it is the most interesting how you can make the best pictures, using the lens from you collection that delivers the best under specific circumstances!? Otherwise we had better selected a small number of lenses with the most universal qualities and sold the rest. Very Happy
Part (most??) of the fun of searching nice (and cheap) lenses gone ... Sad