Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Komura 300/5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Komura 300/5 Reply with quote

The Komura 300/5 I have is the little brother of the 400/6.3, the family resemblance is clear, but it does not have interchangable lens heads. Actually there is supposed to be a 300mm lens head for my focusing mount, though I haven't seen it. This one is a fixed unit, and pre-set instead of purely manual. This is also a very light lens for what it is, its much lighter than my Sears (Tokina) 300/5.6, and it doesn't even have a tripod collar.

It is also basically a Visoflex lens, with an M39 thread. It came with a Minolta adapter screwed in to the M39.

I had a chance to give this thing a try over the weekend, perhaps prematurely. So I took the kids to the zoo as usual. I did not get many good shots, the usual problem was bad focus. I think this is because the helical is very stiff and I was just not able to get it right. I don't think there is anything wrong with the glass though, when the focus was right the results were good.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, very good results on both of these!

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice result!
stiff helical is indeed a problem for focus.
I have a lens like that, I let it 2 hours in the sun and now it is a little better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive performance again. Komura does look worth looking out for.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try that sun trick, thank you. Its worth doing that before dismantling helicals.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I fixed my Komura's helical by partially dismantling it and injecting lighter fluid, it moves much better now.

So I had another try at the zoo one afternoon over our long weekend.

The animals were very cooperative - I swear they were posing ! And the grizzly bears gave an exciting display of gladiatorial combat. All in all they were being model employees of the City of San Francisco.

Unfortunately, the Komura is a dud. I was using it wide-open at f/5 and f/5.6 and the thing just refuses to be sharp. It seems to be definitely inferior to the Sears 300/5.6. A great pity as I had high hopes for it, as its big brother is such a star performer. So there were many good shots that in the end were not exploited to their full potential.