Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Komura 135mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Komura 135mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

Ever since seeing some pictures from other forum members, I've been looking for Komura lenses. I was struck by the bokeh. I have just received my first, a 135mm with Exacta mount. Since I don't know an Exacta mount from a rats ass, I must trust that is what it is. I was surprised to see how small the mount is. I first worried that I might have mistakenly purchased a RF lens, but if it is Exacta, it would be SLR and have a register of 44.70mm, which is what I'm counting on. Can any of you folks confirm what I have? Here is a picture of the mount from the ebay sale:

Aside from my confusion regarding the mount, I must say that this is a beautiful lens. The diaphragm is amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-mount lens with T-EXA adapter?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an Exakta mount indeed.

Its not a T-mount, but it might be a Unidapter - that was Komuras version of a T-mount. Try screwing it off.

Unfortunately its a different thread than a T-mount.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had given it a turn, but maybe I need to twist harder. I see no reason for the ribbed grip on the chrome piece if it doesn't turn. However, there is a screw in the ribbed portion that doesn't make sense to me if it screws off.

I'm relieved to hear it's Exacta. I had no idea Exacta was so small a diameter.

If I can get the mount off I will have the bayonet portion machined off and then shave the mount surface by 1.2mm before fixing a SONY adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exakta mount was small, 38mm

On a Unidapter the screws bear against an inner ring, just like a T-mount in fact.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed the tiny screw seen in the above picture - in the ribbed mount, and it then easily unscrewed. This will make the machining easier. I dropped the screw as I usually do, but what really amazes me is how they seem to cease to exist after being dropped.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've hacked the original mount enough to now at least allow me to hold the lens up to the camera body. Not ideal and there is some funkiness to areas of some pictures I believe is a result. But I'm much too eager to see some results to wait for the full mount conversion to be completed.

As usual, I can't remember which pictures had which apertures, but they were mostly between f/2.8 and f/5.6. There was some CA in f/2.8 pictures, but that seemed virtually gone by f/4. I had all I could do to keep the lens in position, so I set the focus first at 10', then at minimum focus distance and just moved myself in order to focus.

Sorry I didn't find more interesting shots; I just stepped out on the front porch and took these. I'll surely try to get better ones over the weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Thats an Exakta mount indeed.

Its not a T-mount, but it might be a Unidapter - that was Komuras version of a T-mount. Try screwing it off.

Unfortunately its a different thread than a T-mount.

Are you certain it's a different thread than a T-mount? I've seen one called a T2 that looks identical, but of course I can't tell about the threads.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of a Komura in a T mount.

Komura made their own T-mount equivalent, with a different thread.
Later they made two different interchangable auto mount systems just for Komura lenses. Komura was always a bit eccentric.

I have seen and collected dozens of T/T2 mounts, some in original packaging. I have seen plenty of period ads and articles.

T2=T, it means the same thing. When Tamron invented it it was promptly stolen by all its competitors, who called it all sorts of things. Early on, from what I've seen, nobody officially called it anything in particular, just generic terms like "adapter". Later some labelled them interchangably as "T" or "T2" with no apparent distinction. " target="_blank">Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. Just like them to not have a standard. Would you know if the mount for something like Jupiter 11 is a T2, a Komura type, or something altogether different? And one last question about the Komura, have you actually tried/proven the Komura mount to have different threading?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Soviet/Russian lenses didn't have interchangable mounts, or I have never heard if they had. Maybe some of the later mirror lenses were T-mounts, possibly. Nearly all the Soviet/Russian SLR lenses I have seen were plain non-interchangable M42 or M39 with amost-M42 register (old Zenit style).

I have the 135/2.8 in Komura Unidapter. Its a 44mm thread.

Komura mounts were just for Komura lenses, and just for some of them. Some were fixed mounts, some were preset Unidapter, some were Uni-Auto (like the Soligor/Vivitar/Tokina T4/TX), later ones used yet another completely different Auto adapter.

BTW - there was yet another Komura preset-lens adapter series - this was the one used by their Visoflex-type tele lenses (that were originally designed for a Leica-screw-mount reflex mount usable on Leica, Canon, etc. rangefinders). Plenty of these lenses were mostly sold in SLR mounts, as I guess Komura finally figured out that the rangefinder market was gone. These were tubes with M39 on one end and standard SLR mounts on the other. I have a bunch of these.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure the threads? Wink

I can verify there are larger diameter mounts which at casual glance appear to be T-mount, but have larger, ~50mm+ threads. The Vemar and Tokyo Koki Tele-Tokina lenses have it. See http://forum.mflenses.com/recent-vemar-lenses-purchase-t31065.html and http://forum.mflenses.com/tele-tokina-4-5-200mm-tokyo-koki-t30995.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed. And then there is the rare Auto-T system (44mm thread also) usually found in Kalimar brand. I still have no idea who made these -

http://forum.mflenses.com/auto-t-the-most-obscure-interchangeable-mount-t10869,highlight,autot.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure wish they all had cooperated with standards. I either need to find a M42 Unidapter or continue with plans to machine the surface of the Exacta mount for a SONY mount adapter.

I wonder... even if the threads on these various adapters were the same, could we count on the registration distances be correct if they were intermingled?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may get lucky with an M42 Unidapter, but it will take luck.

Komuras aren't common to begin with.

Most Unidapters are in fact M42 that I have seen, but contrariwise you probably have one of the cheaper Komuras.

Registration would have been different also.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Old Soviet/Russian lenses didn't have interchangable mounts, or I have never heard if they had. Maybe some of the later mirror lenses were T-mounts, possibly. Nearly all the Soviet/Russian SLR lenses I have seen were plain non-interchangable M42 or M39 with amost-M42 register (old Zenit style).

Soviet lenses with "A" in their names, like Jupiter-11A, Jupiter-37A and so on, have interchangeable mount that is very similar to T-mount. Actually an outer part of some T-mount adapters can be used instead of dedicated A-mounts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Komura 135/2.3 has what seems to be a removable mount - it has three screws to hold it in place, rotationally (I had to tighten these). I didn't remove it to see what's underneath, I don't think this is a threaded screw, but suspect it is a friction fit with the set screws. The flange looks a bit like yours, though on mine it's black instead of silver. I don't get the sense this was sold as a user replaceable mount, but rather as a manufacturing rationalization.

You might luck into another less desireable Komura in M42 and steal its mount.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
You may get lucky with an M42 Unidapter, but it will take luck.

Komuras aren't common to begin with.

Most Unidapters are in fact M42 that I have seen, but contrariwise you probably have one of the cheaper Komuras.

Registration would have been different also.

Well, it was certainly inexpensive. Do we not have the same lens? This is a f/2.8.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
luisalegria wrote:

Soviet lenses with "A" in their names, like Jupiter-11A, Jupiter-37A and so on, have interchangeable mount that is very similar to T-mount. Actually an outer part of some T-mount adapters can be used instead of dedicated A-mounts.

And I believe that's how my Jupiter 11 lenses have acquired an M42 mount.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needing some stress relief at the end of the day, I did a walk around the house (I don't go far) and took assorted shots using the Komura at different focus points. I'm still holding the lens to the camera body, so it's awkward. I set a distance, then move back and forth until I have focus. I hope the neighbors haven't been watching.

Here are three from today - nothing special, just stuff to take pictures of. Without comparing the lens to any other, I do like the colors and bokek, and the sharpness seems more than adequate. I think I got a 3D-like effect with this first one. Am I wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice colors, great shots ,awesome lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: I haven't been able to figure out what type of mount this lens has other than possibly something unique to Komura. I went so far as to buy a Komura 135mm f/3.5 in M42 just to get the mount. Unfortunately, it did not fit, so I proceeded with original plans to modify the current Exacta mount. I removed the bayonet portion and then sanded a full 1mm from the mount surface. Tested it with added adapter and by some miracle infinity seemed to be perfect. I've attached the adapter and it's actually a very clean job. I impressed myself. Here are some pictures from the last couple of days, after the completion of the conversion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great lens to me!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
Looks like a great lens to me!

+1 I hope my Juplen 135 2.8 provides the same resuts.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave my Komura 135mm f2.8 some time in the sun today.
Always performs well.
Mono by NIK
OH