Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Komura 100mm 1,8 and other
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Komura 100mm 1,8 and other Reply with quote

Hello,

does anybody know this lens Komura 100mm / 1,8 ? What's so special about it ?

What's its 'character' or 'look', does anybody have informations about it ? I think it's a very rare lens, isn't it ?

Regards,
Micha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It is a very rare lens.
http://forum.mflenses.com/komura-1-8-100-t16069.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

What do you think is a good price for such a lens today ? I find some for sell but they cost more than 700,- USD. I think that's too expensive . . . .

I think a new lense in the early 70s wasn't really expensive, much cheaper than a comparable Nikkor etc. . . . .

Does anybody know the original prices of this lenses or does anybody have informations like a catalogue or a pricelist ?

Where other Komura lenses ernostar-designs too ?

Regards,

Micha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a lens made in the early 1960s but I don't know about the original price.

Sonnar, the successor of the Ernostar, may have the quality you are looking for. The most common, cheap but fast opinion will be Jupiter-9(get the early chrome one if possible).

For the same brand, the Komura 105mm F2 may fit your budget. It is also an Ernostar.
http://forum.mflenses.com/sankyo-kohki-komura-105mm-f2-on-nex-5n-t69321.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/mini-paris-miniature-part-two-t69331.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank You. That's interresting. What's The Biggest difference between the 2,0/105 and the 1,8/100 ? Is the first the newer one ? The 1,8/100 seems to have higher contrasts, 'darker colors', and stranger color rendering. Max that be so ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The 1,8/100 is the older one. I don't have the 1,8/100 but I think it will be better than the 2,0/105 because it is heavier. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New price was 10,800 Yen in Japan, see this page: http://homepage3.nifty.com/photostreet/komura10018.html

From prices of similar Komura lenses in the US in 1964, I'd guess it was between $120 to $170 new in the US. If you found the right year of the Modern Photography annual "Interchangeable Lens Directory", you could find the list price.

I saw an old 1960's ad from Olden Camera (NY) listing remaindered Komura 80/1.8 lenses for $39.95.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this link it cost $100 in 1977 http://www.scribd.com/doc/30087725/Third-Party-Lenses-From-the-1960s

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are addicts here that will buy it if you don't, rare fast lenses that perform are like crack to us GAS addicts. Cool
I see there is one on the bay now.
ebay itm 51933241380 BIN $850 USD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

How It seems, Komura Lenses were very cheap in the 60s or 70s. That's what I mean when I See this high prices of 900 usd and more for old Komura lenses today, 40 years later.

What did a comparable nikon or Canon or Leica lens cost At The Same time? (When the Komuras were new)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

How It seems, Komura Lenses were very cheap in the 60s or 70s. That's what I mean when I See this high prices of 900 usd and more for old Komura lenses today, 40 years later.

What did a comparable nikon or Canon or Leica lens cost At The Same time? (When the Komuras were new)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it compare to the nikkor 105 1.8 or the Nikkor DC 105 2? Because for 800$ it's not a bargain...

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price the Japanese seller is asking on eBay means nothing until someone buys one. (In other words, he's asking more than market value.)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't expect much from an 'unknown' fast lens, rare due didn't was a commercial success. In big race of hundreds Japanese small manufacturers they often make some 'wow' lens and wow did gone quickly after first shoots...

A few examples , Vivitar 135mm f1.5 (terrible really wide open), Sigma 135mm f1.8 okay , okay if you can't afford Nikon or Contax etc

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Don't expect much from an 'unknown' fast lens,.....

.....okay if you can't afford Nikon or Contax etc

That is exactly true. In the old days such lenses have been considered as rather bad compromise if somebody couldn't afford to buy an "original" lens. Sometimes I am really shocked why some folks are prepared to pay ridiculous prices for such lenses nowadays. Their only selling argument originally was the low price for comparable cheap quality. My only "cheap" lens was a Tokina 24mm until the time I could afford to buy the original one. Though I must state that it wasn't bad at all (at least for the original price). Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Komura high-speed lenses are pretty good lens of its time both optically and mechanically. My 105/2 preform pretty well even though the rear element is full of circular cleaning marks. The high price reflects are pretty rare and many people collect them. If you can find one in reasonable price, it is worth to give it a try. Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that there were hundreds of manufacturers in Japan at the time. With wholesalers selling components and manufacturers sometimes crafting their own glass or specifying to suppliers. Also that quality of the lenses was not necessarily a function of volume. That some manufacturers would have both excellent lenses and crappy lenses, as they were manufacturing to spec, then rebranding stock. The only thing for sure is try them, keep it if you like, sell if you don't. Watch e-bay prices on AUCTIONS, or search a decent reseller such as KEH, to get an idea of a real price. BIN prices can definitely be pie in the sky. Komura seems to have a pretty good reputation. Lenses consistently command prices an order of magnitude above similar, tower (sears), hanimex, soligor lenses of the era.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fan of Komura, but also believe they are sometimes overpriced. The fast medium tele in the 80-100mm range are typically the pricey ones. I've been curious if anyone ever buys them, so just did an ebay search and found that two were sold in the $700-800 range in April. Surprise, surprise. If I were to put out that kind of money, which won't happen, I'd keep an eye open for the Topcor 85mm.