Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Retina Reflex III
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Kodak Retina Reflex III Reply with quote

Bought this mainly for the lenses, but found this is such a beautiful camera.A very heavy camera as well,which surprised me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Mo.
It looks new.
Did you get the 80mm lens as well?
OH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No,just the Eurygon 4/35, Tele-Xenar 4/135 (slight damage on the filter) and the Xenar 2.8/50.The camera has very little damage(one mark on the base plate and wear on the winder) I would say its in very good condition.Not sure how it functions though,have to find and read the manual.The leather case is in very good conditon as well,a well looked after kit I think!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice camera, congrats!

manual:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/kodak/kodak_retina_reflex/kodak_retina_reflex.htm

If You're in love with this little gem, sit down, breath through & read this:
https://www.cameraquest.com/ret3s.htm

The only camera system, which used SLR & ranngefinder with one lens line!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, ive had the iii (rf) and still have the iv (slr) and used the same set of wonderful lenses with both. unfortunately, i dont shoot film anymore, so my rig is up for sale. but along with my now sold xpan, this was my favorite system. i never missed a shot with either, and the schneider lenses give just gorgeous color. i recommend kodak elite chrome--these lenses eat it up.
tony

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it works Mo, those are incredibly complex machines and if they go wrong, no repairman wants to touch them.

The lenses are the best bit - the Schneider and Rodenstock lenses are all top notch, the Eurygon is not common so congrats on that one; the Tele-Xenar is superb, every bit the equal of the Sonnar 4/135. The Tele-Arton 85mm f4 and the Curtagon 2.8/35 are both excellent too, but the real gem of the bunch for me is the Xenon 1.9/50, really sharp, even wide open but with oodles of vintage character.

The Rodenstock lenses are much less common than the Schneiders.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eurygon 4/35 performs very well on a crop sensor. Try it and you will love it. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your replies, I found the manual on the Butkus website but have one question.How do you change the ASA,the Dial does not move at all and I can't see where you change it on the camera?

I will most probably not use the camera,but I am curious if it does indeed work.The VF is filthy there is only a slither of true light the rest seems blocked out by fungus and filth.The winder winds the shutter works,even the gossen light meter seems to work once I had read the instructions.

I am in the process of trying the lenses out
Eurygon on the Panasonic G1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
.....How do you change the ASA,the Dial does not move at all and I can't see where you change it on the camera?

pressing the knop on the top & turning the wheel bottom under the lens should do it Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the nice camera
Smile and the lenses are also very good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider the Retina cameras to be industrial works of art. Congrats on such a nice purchase. It might be worth your while to get it cleaned. I just read through the link at Camera Quest. You might want to study what he has to say -- he gives some detailed information on the operation of the camera, including some of the more difficult aspects of its design.

Oh, and I just had to comment on your photos. That 35mm is brilliant, imo. And that's a very lovely looking cat you have too. Reminds me of one of my late pets who passed some years ago. He was a good cat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, You are kidding,Duckrider, once I worked out what you meant by "wheel under the bottom of the lens"...it works like a charm!! How and why they made it work like that only they the designers know.

Thanks Mike,I will check out that site and make a decision on possibly having the camera repaired.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
LOL, You are kidding,Duckrider, once I worked out what you meant by "wheel under the bottom of the lens"...it works like a charm!! How and why they made it work like that only they the designers know.

pardon for my amateur English Wink

mo wrote:
How and why they made it work like that only they the designers know.

simple reason:
Light meter is coupled with lens' light values indicator, and these are a combo of time, aperture & ASA setting.
It's a genius solution and an aesthetic pleasure to see all this mechanics interlocking imo.

Last edited by duckrider on Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You actually described it well, it was me not realizing what it was.I had seen the wheel but not connected the two.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just Love that Variable DOF scale Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pics of a Nice Looking cat , and that Ol` lens draws real Sharp with a good bokeh , that s a great find Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments Smile