Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Retina II rangefinder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Kodak Retina II rangefinder Reply with quote

I was thinking of buying one of these and I was wondering if anyone here had any experience
with it? Any problems, etc.?
Here are photos of the version. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of the later model, with the wind lever, the IIa
That one is prone to cocking ratchet problems, and I have had no end of trouble getting them fixed and keeping them fixed.
I don't think this model, with the winding knob, has the same problem.

I like the older version (also confusingly called a Retina II, but with separate rangefinder and viewfinder windows, like a Leica II/III) where you cock the shutter separately, there is much less to go wrong.

If yours is going to be guaranteed to work that is important. Its a very nice, beautiful little camera.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I have a couple of the later model, with the wind lever, the IIa
That one is prone to cocking ratchet problems, and I have had no end of trouble getting them fixed and keeping them fixed.
I don't think this model, with the winding knob, has the same problem.

I like the older version (also confusingly called a Retina II, but with separate rangefinder and viewfinder windows, like a Leica II/III) where you cock the shutter separately, there is much less to go wrong.

If yours is going to be guaranteed to work that is important. Its a very nice, beautiful little camera.

Thank you for the comments, Luis. I found 3 versions of the retina II online, mine is the later one a "type (014)".
It is supposed to work flawlessly, but I am wondering how to test the shutter because I believe it will not fire without film in it?

I purchased it BTW and am awaiting it's arrival.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's like the IIa, you can fool it by turning the film sprocket manually until it releases the shutter button.
I never played with this exact version.
The older II you cock and release the shutter independently.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can close the lens door properly only when the lens is turned focusing in the distance. If it has been in the hands of someone who does not know, there may be problems, like bended parts or broken points. This should be checked before buying.

The camera itself is magnificent, and the 2/50 Xenon is great.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
If it's like the IIa, you can fool it by turning the film sprocket manually until it releases the shutter button.

Thank you. From what I have found online I will be able to do the same with the version of the II I am
getting.

Gamera wrote:
One can close the lens door properly only when the lens is turned focusing in the distance. If it has been in the hands of someone who does not know, there may be problems, like bended parts or broken points. This should be checked before buying.

The camera itself is magnificent, and the 2/50 Xenon is great.

Thanks for the advice. I will be receiving the camera in the mail, but I have the opportunity to return it

if defective.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid you will love it. I loved my IIc but like Louis' mine stopped mid stroke as well... Truly a good lens on the later retinas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera arrived today and seems to be in good shape. The lens is clean and in good shape, the aperture is
working and the shutter works, but some of the slows speeds are too slow and sticky. The rangefinder is clear
and the patch visible, but it reaches infinity too soon. I thing the close up measurement must also be off.

It also came with a leather case in good condition, although it smells like cigarette smoke. I am happy to have it
because the camera does not have any strap lugs.

It is a very nice looking camera.

Cost $36 BTW. Not too bad I think.