Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Printing Ektar 3.8/89mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Kodak Printing Ektar 3.8/89mm Reply with quote

This is a high resolution copying lens to copy color film. It is optimized for 1:2 copies (or reversed 2:1 as it has also a thread mount on the other end). Similar lenses would be the Zeiss 4/74mm S-Planar or the 2.8/95mm Printing Nikkor.

After having adapted it to a focusing helicoid, here a few test shots using my Lumix GH1, also further away to see how it performs there.

Fully open:

quite acceptable in terms of sharpness + contrast already wide open.

Stopping down to about f8 increases its performance somewhat:

If I find the time to, I will also see how it performs reversed.

Last edited by kds315* on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To it out today for a walk in the park this evening to capture some "real" subjects....

a sharp lens, no question, but missing the "punch" of the Lamegon/Biogon for instance:

sharp, but not overly, some CA, good contrast but not overly so. Best for close up shots for sure, what it was once made for.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this second set, the lens is a razor! Cool

Well done, Klaus!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It is pretty sharp Bill indeed...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent detail in the cat pic! Shocked Is this easy to focus?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Excellent detail in the cat pic! Shocked Is this easy to focus?

Yes, easy to focus using a focusing helicoid (from our member Calvin in HK) after having adapted that lens to M42 thread mount and of course the lifeview on my GH1. Just not fast enough for cats hunting for mice Wink especially when shooting fully open. But she knows me and she lets me even touch her, so that makes it a bit easier...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did it again Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so many lenses I have are still waiting to "do it" Wink Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Love this second set, the lens is a razor! Cool

Well done, Klaus!

+1 stunning!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila!

This is an overlooked lens actually, hardly known, so I guess that will change soon Wink Wink

Quoting camerapedia http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Kodak_lenses :

Kodak Color Printing Ektar /4.5, 2in., 63mm, 3in., 87mm, 93mm, 96mm, 100mm, 103mm, 113mm, 125mm, 127mm, etc. These 5-element Heliar type lenses, were used in Kodak photofinishing equipment. This type of lens was produced in an amazing plethora of similar focal lengths, including 63, 87, 93, 96, 100, 103, 113, 125, 127, and others. These lenses were at times marketed as Kodak Enlarging Ektars.

No wonder that that one has such a nice bokeh and sharpness at the same time, being a Heliar lens design.