Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Printing Ektar 2.8/103mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Kodak Printing Ektar 2.8/103mm Reply with quote

...took a walk to the park, fully open (it's the version with built in adjustable iris)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1
Still lots of flowers!?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Klaus,#5 superb. Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys! A few weeks old, haven't had time to show it.
Not that many flowers left, got cold and rainy here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely stuff!
Admit it, you are more about art than science.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

We've had snow this week, so no more flowers, or green grass. Sad
Nice shots.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Lovely stuff!
Admit it, you are more about art than science.

Yes Luis, you got me, indeed it is!! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
kds315* wrote:

We've had snow this week, so no more flowers, or green grass. Sad
Nice shots.

Sorry to hear that, THX!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures Klaus.
I happened to have the Kodak Ektar 103 mm with fixed aperture and tested it some time ago while stacking cacti flowers:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129563138@N03/albums/72157671786444093

macheck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macheck wrote:
Nice pictures Klaus.
I happened to have the Kodak Ektar 103 mm with fixed aperture and tested it some time ago while stacking cacti flowers:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129563138@N03/albums/72157671786444093

macheck

Nice pictures, but it is not the same lens! "Kodak Printing Ektar" is not a normal "Kodak Ektar" and even between Printing Ektars, the heavy brass ones with 7/8 lenses are not the same as normal Printing Ektars

Last edited by kds315* on Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was wondering. i see a differences in the images. did you use photo editing. just wondering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockycarter wrote:
i was wondering. i see a differences in the images. did you use photo editing. just wondering

no editing done!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing Klaus's shots with the 100mm f4.5 Kodak printing Ektar I just had to have one. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macheck your photos are different than klaus. i was wondering did you use photo editing. sorry klaus i should have identified. who had the different images. between these photos, macheck has a slightly different appearance. that why, i was wondering if there was editing used by anyone. all these images are excellent. very well done

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
After seeing Klaus's shots with the 100mm f4.5 Kodak printing Ektar I just had to have one. Rolling Eyes

Congrats, but it is a 101mm f4.5 that I also have shown Chris here (a TESSAR 4e/3g design): http://forum.mflenses.com/kodak-printing-ektar-f4-5-101mm-tessar-type-t72832,highlight,%2B101mm.html not the one in this thread here (which is a 7 or 8 element type lens). Of the same type there is also the Kodak Printing Ektar f3.8 89mm which I have shown here in 2011: http://forum.mflenses.com/kodak-printing-ektar-3-8-89mm-t43814,highlight,%2B89mm+%2Bektar.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is definitely a 100mm f4.5 Kodak printing Ektar Klaus, what is the difference between this and the 101mm you posted? Regards

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Mine is definitely a 100mm f4.5 Kodak printing Ektar Klaus, what is the difference between this and the 101mm you posted? Regards

Chris, some say the 100mm f4.5 is a Dialyte (4e/4g) design and the 101mm is a Tessar 4e/3g design. HOWEVER a well reputed French lens analysis site (of Mess. Eric Beltrando) states on http://www.dioptrique.info/base/n/n_ektar.HTM that the 4.5/100mm Ektar is a 5e/3g HELIAR (which should make you rather happy, as a Heliar is a great sharp lens with verfy pleasant bokeh IMHO!)

The 2.8/103mm Printing Ektar which I showed above is a modified Double Gauss 7 lens in 3 groups (7e/3g) design (I have the patent literature...)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These printing Ektars seem like wonderful lenses capable of producing wonderful images in the hands of a master like Klaus! Beautiful images.

By the way, am I correct in assuming that the printing ektars were used for such things as optical printing of cine films, or in automated photo finishing equipment, or maybe even in commercial printing.? All these tasks I would think would require very high resolutions and peak performance around 1:1 or higher magnifications, and quite possibly a flat field? I don't understand how this results in such beautiful bokeh.

P.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
These printing Ektars seem like wonderful lenses capable of producing wonderful images in the hands of a master like Klaus! Beautiful images.

By the way, am I correct in assuming that the printing ektars were used for such things as optical printing of cine films, or in automated photo finishing equipment, or maybe even in commercial printing.? All these tasks I would think would require very high resolutions and peak performance around 1:1 or higher magnifications, and quite possibly a flat field? I don't understand how this results in such beautiful bokeh.

P.

Thank you! Indeed, they have been used for printing paper prints and also cine film to film printing and sometimes with some format conversion, hence I think why there are different focal lengths and given (i.e. printed of the lens) optimized magnification ratios.

The 103mm is optimized for 1:1 and the 89mm is a 2:1 version

and a 88mm one in 1:1.8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Klaus,I will take it for a walk in the coming days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockycarter wrote:

Quote:
macheck your photos are different than klaus. i was wondering did you use photo editing. sorry klaus i should have identified. who had the different images. between these photos, macheck has a slightly different appearance. that why, i was wondering if there was editing used by anyone. all these images are excellent. very well done

Photos of mine are stacks of several single pictures (it is explained) so I would say heavily post edited by a stacking software to gain deeper depth of field.
I didn't find anything special in my Kodak Printing Ektar when taking pictures from a distance so gave it a try in closeup stacking where uniform sharpness of whole frame is most desired.

kds315* wrote:
Quote:
Nice pictures, but it is not the same lens! "Kodak Printing Ektar" is not a normal "Kodak Ektar" and even between Printing Ektars, the heavy brass ones with 7/8 lenses are not the same as normal Printing Ektars

There is a thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/kodak-printing-ektar-t63154.html
but no pictures.

by the way what is a normal Printing Ektar.
macheck