Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak KAF-1300, the chip that made DSLRs happen
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Kodak KAF-1300, the chip that made DSLRs happen Reply with quote

IEEE has an interesting paper about the first working DSLR solution: the $25.000 KODAK DCS 100

http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/optoelectronics/chip-hall-of-fame-kodak-kaf1300-image-sensor

(c) IEEE/KODAK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Thanks, very interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea with the infamous lens? Wasn't any other wider AF available then?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Klaus!
16µm wide pixels! And at least the sensor (perhaps not with that camera) could be bought with UV phosphor coating for UV photography!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Thank you Klaus!
16�m wide pixels! And at least the sensor (perhaps not with that camera) could be bought with UV phosphor coating for UV photography!

yep, missed that; not enough change in the stamp money box Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like (prefer, if I'm honest) the look a CCD can give. Very clean, and closer to film. To my eyes at least.

Although I've ended up with a fair few compacts, my 'go to' is a seven year old Canon S90, which has a 10mp 1/1.7" CCD. If it breaks I might well just have to buy another one used, as CCD seems to have become the Betamax of the digital camera world.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone want to buy a SLR/c? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tech is one of the few good things to come out of the Cold War - it's derived from the sensors developed for guided missiles.

BTW, the Leica M9 sensor is a derivative of a missile sensor too.