Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Ektar 63mm. Non cine lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Kodak Ektar 63mm. Non cine lens Reply with quote

Kodak Ektar 63mm, with helicoid, probably from photo-printing machine. I have removed constant diaphragm. Heliar-type optical formula? Low contrast, but high resolution.

Фотографии в альбоме «Kogak Ektar 63mm без диафрагмы, вероятно от фотомашины», автор serkol64 на Яндекс.Фотках

[more]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice one! Attila and I have the cine version f2/63mm of that lens, outstanding performance!
Mine see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157631943886461/

Could you show a picture of that lens? I guess it is a printing Ektar....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Klaus, I saw. Very very beautifully!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is enlarger lens and Heliar scheme right , I have one enlarger Ektar too 75mm, Ektar is one of the best lens from Kodak , perhaps best congrats!!

http://forum.mflenses.com/kodak-75mm-f4-enlarger-old-heliar-type-vnex-sony-nex-3-t58765,highlight,%2Bkodak+%2Benlarger.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Attila! I have enlarger Ektar lens too - 75mm and 100mm. But 63mm have constant built-in diaphragm (i remove it)... and probably not enlarger lens

Фотографии в альбоме «Kodak Ektar 75/4.5 (Объектив от фотоувеличителя)», автор serkol64 на Яндекс.Фотках

[more]

Фотографии в альбоме «Kodak Ektar 100/4.5 объектив от фотоувеличителя», автор serkol64 на Яндекс.Фотках

[more]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, that is surely not enlarger indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your 63mm look like this one? http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail.php?ObjektiveNr=170

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Klaus, my looks differently, in front have helicoid. Maybe tomorrow I shall make photo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Kodak Ektar 63mm. Non cine lens Reply with quote

serkol wrote:
Kodak Ektar 63mm, with helicoid, probably from photo-printing machine. I have removed constant diaphragm. Heliar-type optical formula? Low contrast, but high resolution.

[more]

Congratulations on acquiring this lens and thanks for the great pictures.
This certainly looks like beautiful Heliar bokeh to me.

If you don't see what I mean, just compare the out of focus areas on the above two pictures to the rendering of the Ektar 75/4.5 on the following picture:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_FP02600_ by serkol64, on Flickr

Kodak Ektar 63mm + Sigma fp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, thank you!

_FP02603 by serkol64, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful, soft rendering… I love it.

I have a Printing Ektar, 85mm. I don't believe any of them come with helicoids. It is almost painfully sharp.

Could you have a Micro-File Ektar? It seems that lens did come in that length with a built-in helicoid.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serkol wrote:
Klaus, thank you!

_FP02603 by serkol64, on Flickr

Excellent shots - this one in particular!

spiffariffic wrote:
Beautiful, soft rendering… I love it.

I have a Printing Ektar, 85mm. I don't believe any of them come with helicoids. It is almost painfully sharp.

Could you have a Micro-File Ektar? It seems that lens did come in that length with a built-in helicoid.

I think you're right. I own a Micro-File Ektar 63 mm and it has a helicoid and seems pretty sharp at close distance:

The little ones and zeros by simple.joy, on Flickr

Watching wasted, wonky wasp by simple.joy, on Flickr

C-sharp, eh? by simple.joy, on Flickr

I wouldn't say that it has low contrast, but I didn't remove the constant diaphragm, so maybe that's a factor besides my use so far being limited to close subjects as well... There also is a lens with a grey (plastic) front only labeled "63 mm Ektar", which could be the same, but I don't know - have only seen an image online.

I have a Printing-Ektars as well and like it a lot for bokeh- and flare-experiments - a really fun and also quite sharp lens. I can't say if they're the same but I think both could be Heliar designs, so they might be similar.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serkol wrote:
Kodak Ektar 63mm, with helicoid, probably from photo-printing machine

So, I have no idea if that's a similar one than you have, but this is how mine looks like:

But as mentioned before... it could also be like this one:

(not mine)

It's called "projection lens" by a seller, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. It's possible that its optics are identical to the "Micro-File Ektar", but who knows...

What I can say for sure, is that I find the image quality of the Micro-File Ektar very impressive:

Color-File by simple.joy, on Flickr

Can I drop it? by simple.joy, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe micro fiche, micro film lens? Micro "file" - a lens dedicated to file reading, which almost certainly will be micro film archival work.

On the other hand, it could be completely, utterly unrelated, and just something they picked like Ektar.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
Maybe micro fiche, micro film lens? Micro "file" - a lens dedicated to file reading, which almost certainly will be micro film archival work.

On the other hand, it could be completely, utterly unrelated, and just something they picked like Ektar.

Yes, indeed - I'm sure this was used with microfilm. I just don't know if it was to reduce large formats to microfilm, or to enlarge back from it and make prints. According to the user "Old Lenses New Camera" on flickr (https://flickr.com/photos/49576306@N08/albums/72157686954264941) it's documented that it was part of the "Recordak" microfilm system and according to the information available to him, it's a 5/3 Heliar/Dynar design and from 1951.

However that doesn't confirm anything about the lens mentioned at the start of the thread, because we still don't know what it looks like and if it's a similar type or not.