Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Ektar 101mm f/4.5 on NEX7 ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Kodak Ektar 101mm f/4.5 on NEX7 ... Reply with quote

very old lens, low contrast, dim colors...
had to bump it a lot in PS

used on a bellows with NEX7, wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that old, 1940s. Should be coated - it will have an L inside a circle symbol if it is. Shouldn't lack much in colours or contrast, Kodak designed the Ektars for colour work and there are some amazing Kodachromes from the 40s.

Check the glass, make sure it is free of haze and dust, and make sure there is nothing reflective inside the mounting you have used.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one as well and I have tested mine on NEX-7, too. It's a high quality Tessar-type lens for the 2x3 format. The "Ektar" name was used by Kodak for their line of high quality lenses, regardless of their optical design.
Indeed, even it is "Luminized" (L in circle = coated) the contrast is rather low, but the sharpness and color are quite O.K. The bokeh is typical for Tessars, quite pleasant IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, Dan thanks for the comments. The lens doesn't look immaculate for sure due to age, but not fogged either. I guess it's normal IQ for a lens of this age.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is used on Kodak Medalist and on Baby Graflex, design was "borrowed" from some famous Voightlander lens in the beginning of WW2, but Voightlander had sued Kodak after war for this.
Lens can cover 6x9 field with some tilting on Graflex, the IQ and sharpness is the most excellent, especially on f8 and down. The color is slightly warm.
My best BW pictures has been taken with Medalist II converted to 120 film, it was my favorite everyday camera for years.

Last edited by Paulius on Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:22 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find the year of production on Ektars by using a word CAMEROSITY. Each letter symbolize the numbers - 1234567890. There is two letters affront of serial#, shoving the year.

Last edited by Paulius on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info Paulius .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulius wrote:
This lens is used on Kodak Medalist and on Baby Graflex, design was "borrowed" from some famous Voightlander lens in the beginning of WW2, but Voightlander had sued Kodak after war for this.
Lens can cover 6x9 field with some tilting on Graflex, the IQ and sharpness is the most excellent, especially on f8 and down. The color is slightly warm.
My best BW pictures has been taken with Medalist II converted to 120 film, it was my favorite everyday camera for years.

The lens used on Kodak Medalist is the 100mm f/3.5 Ektar and it is a Heliar type indeed.
The 101mm f/4.5 Ektar, used on Baby Graflex, is a Tessar type.
Scroll down here:
http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Kodak_lenses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are obviously right on Medalist, but I have Ektar 105mm, same type as Medalist, on my Baby Graphic, range finder is matched to this lens. Yes, 101mm is Tessar, sorry for my confusion.

Last edited by Paulius on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the link, all information on Ektars is very good.
I have 44mm on Kodak Signet 35; 100mm on Medalists, 105mm on Baby Graphic; 152mm for 4x5.
Ektars are absolutely superb!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still using your Medalist? A lovely camera!
How have you adapted it to 120 film?
I've adapted mine to use Rada (Plaubel) rollfilm backs (120 film).
The 100mm Ektar of the Medalist is indeed a very nice lens for 6x9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately all film laboratories in my area and everywhere around are out of business for years, I can do BW, but darkroom is out of order now and I can't force myself to put it back together. Sometimes I'm scanning old negatives which are collected since mid 70-th.
New times, new toys. Canon 5D mark II is my latest, beside it 1Ds mark II is permanently sitting on tripod in photo room, to heavy for hiking.
But I love my old cameras.
I am designer, did the conversion by myself using Dremel and chisels.
Most of 120 films are soft and wavy on 9cm window. My favorite film was Ilford 400 HP, with strong base.