Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodachrome and Caffenol
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Kodachrome and Caffenol Reply with quote

So I decided to use all that old Kodachrome I was given and experiment with souping it in caffenol. Yesterday, I bought some instant coffee and washing soda, but could not find any vitamin C in crystal form, so I decided to forge ahead without it.

I loaded up a roll of Kodachrome 40 (made for 3200K lighting) and fired off 6 frames, exposing it at ASA 10. I developed it at 68°F for 9 minutes, followed by several rinses. The caffenol came out MUCH darker than it went in, so I was hoping the remjet got dissolved.

I fixed with normal Ilford fixer for 5 minutes, and there was just a touch of remjet still clinging to the film. Several swipes after a thorough rinse removed a bit more of the (very soft) remjet.

What I ended up with was some very faint (negative) images on orangish film base. This is pretty much what I expected.

Not bad for my first caffenol job, 'specially considering the film expired 25 years ago.

I am doling out the film in short sections just to characterize it and plan my next move. Hopefully, it will only take 3 or 4 full rolls before I can start getting usable images.