Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

KMZ Tair-3A 300mm photo roundup
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: KMZ Tair-3A 300mm photo roundup Reply with quote

Hi all.
This are some photos taken with my Big Berta like lens Tair-3A. I really love this lens because its build like a tank. Sharp lens with nice colors.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful shots with an excellent lens. I also like my one a lot!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! I sold mine Sad Wasn't a good idea seems..

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great pictures here!
I have this lens, but in a faulty condition. It flares like crazy. Must have something wrong inside.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, impressive pictures taken with a very good lens.
But nevertheless I will sell my one. It's too heavy and unhandy to take it with me. So I didn't use it - although these pictures make me think about it.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy is 3A version. Its build by ZOMZ but it initially came from KMZ so everybody put it in KMZ bag. The 3A is separate lens not in photo-sniper kit. It has a classic focusing ring and manual aperture preset. It also have a very deep metal hood which is integrated in the lens. Glasses are little yellow and the front cap is on screw. I will make a picture of it to show you. It looks a lot different form the photo sniper one and all the pictures that I saw online. I think that there is build quality difference between 3A and 3S. 3A is very heavy. I thing almost 2 kilos. I never experienced any flaring on both of my bodies. The only messy thing is that the lens produces some green halos on highlight areas (not any time), that all. My lens is a present form my father so I treat is with special care. Its in perfect condition. Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very valuable lens ! Keep for your grandchildren! I have a couple of lens what I never want to sell I would keep them to my grandchildren Smile I had 3S sniper version also was not comfortable , but produced exceptional result.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid ?10 for my example, at a charity shop and wouldn't pay much more or one, the money is best put towads something better. Sharpness is acceptable, flare is usually a problem but not noticed by many, it often just shows as blown highlights. A friend rcently took mine apart and found a few bright spots inside the lens. A dab of matt black paint improved the flare and contrast but didn't help with the size, almost unusable aperture control and silly focus wheel. After trying the lens out it went back in the cupboard and will most likely stay there for another year or so. The older Tamron non SP Adaptall 1 f5.6 300mm will easily better the Tair and the old Tam weighs about 800gr is 170mm long and filter size 58mm It can be found for around ?20 and is usable.
Your outdoor widlife shoots (First three pictures) have a heavy blue cast on them. Try adjusting the colour balance. The second flight shot would be excellent with the colour sorted out.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, have you tried more than just your copy?
Maybe you got a "lemon". I am very pleased with the results of my Tair and I guess I can tell a flare from a blown highlight... Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bluecast on some of the pics is there on purpose. Its not from the lens.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Rob, have you tried more than just your copy?
Maybe you got a "lemon". I am very pleased with the results of my Tair and I guess I can tell a flare from a blown highlight... Wink

As I wrote the lens has just been taken apart checked, cleaned had the bright spots inside fixed and tested. It is as Tairs go now performing very well. I recently posted some of the test photos from it at another place. But it still isn't what I consider great performance. The Tair resolves about 20 lpm which is sharp for web use and a 7 x 5 print. OK for general use or weight training. Just the lens for a hike round when you may need a 300mm to get the shot.

My Tair test shots all at F5.6 Against the light as IMO that is the only way to give a lens a good test. certainly OK for for web use

100% Crop

Not too good at resolving any fine detail even when downsized.

Last edited by Rob Leslie on Thu May 17, 2007 11:56 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
The Tair resolves about 20 lpm...

Interesting:
By specs Tair-3A has center 45 lpm trough corner where it has 36lpm.
Which I think is fairly enough. Tommorow I will put here a 100% crop untouched to show exactly what my Tair produces.