Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

KMZ Industar-61 50mm F2.8 L / Z copy of what Zeiss Tessar?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: KMZ Industar-61 50mm F2.8 L / Z copy of what Zeiss Tessar? Reply with quote

On ebay often it appears that Industar-61 lens is a copy of Zeiss Tessar lens. But there are several versions of Zeiss Tessar lens. Which of these Zeiss Tessar versions is characterized by the "star bokeh" highlights, characteristic for Industar 61 or Volna 9?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the industar 61 l/z is a tessar type, but not a clone of any zeiss lens.
Just like a schneider xenar or a voigtlaender skopar, its scheme is derived from the old tessar formula, but no zeiss tessars 2.8/50 - again, as far as I know - have any of the industar's peculiarities (lanthanum glass, close focus).
So I'd say it's not a clone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industar 61 optical diagram

Original Zeiss tessar formula --

So i think the previous post is correct.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: KMZ Industar-61 50mm F2.8 L / Z copy of what Zeiss Tessa Reply with quote

edri wrote:
On ebay often it appears that Industar-61 lens is a copy of Zeiss Tessar lens. But there are several versions of Zeiss Tessar lens. Which of these Zeiss Tessar versions is characterized by the "star bokeh" highlights, characteristic for Industar 61 or Volna 9?

The star bokeh is due to star shaped aperture when stopped down.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the clarification.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been my only lens for many years on Zenit E back in mid 70-s when I started SLR photography. Officially fixed price was 40 rubles, but in order to get it, you have to overpay for "connection". So, I spend 80 rubles, my one month salary in that time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulius wrote:
It has been my only lens for many years on Zenit E back in mid 70-s when I started SLR photography. Officially fixed price was 40 rubles, but in order to get it, you have to overpay for "connection". So, I spend 80 rubles, my one month salary in that time.

I bought a used one in Sankt Peterburg a couple of months ago (I paid something more than 2000 rubles IIRC) and I am extremely pleased with it.
It's very usable at all apertures, well built, compact enough, and the close focus capabilities make it extremely flexible.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally ordered a Tessar lens, especially for the possibility that under certain conditions to obtain a bokeh "bubble soap" type. Is it wise to spend money on a Industar too?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
I finally ordered a Tessar lens, especially for the possibility that under certain conditions to obtain a bokeh "bubble soap" type. Is it wise to spend money on a Industar too?

Try the Tessar first.
It is a matter of getting the technique right and having the out of focus highlights at the correct distance from the subject relative to the focusing distance. There are plenty of Industar 61's around and they are always very inexpensive so it is not like the supply will dry up while you are getting the hang of the Tessar.
Personally, I don't think that the Industar will do anything that can't be wrung out of the Tessar with practice.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "bubbliest" Industar lens I have is the Industar 24M and even though the Industars 50-2 and 61 are sharp and all, I don't find them half as good as my alu Tessar and Trioplan ones.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I thought so. Although initially I was just plan to buy the Industar 61 after some talks from another topic I switched to Tessar.
My problem is that I think I already have too many lenses around 50mm focal length.
Tessar (I have not yet it but it's on the way) + known Helios 44-2 + 3 lenses on Pentax K mount, my usual DSLR system. Each of these lenses has some specific, each offering me something that no other offers. Therefore I wanted to know if the Industar offers something special compared to other around 50mm focal lenses.
I did not intend to become a collector lenses, I want to be a user of the lenses;)

This is my future Tessar, serial 4183914 (seller picture). I would like to buy a front cap (I noticed that my m42 lenses original caps are not too firm) and a filter adapter ring. Does anyone know how is the thread filter for this lens?