Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron 28-85mm meets dog
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Kiron 28-85mm meets dog Reply with quote

This is the Kiron version of the famous Vivitar 28-90 that wasn't chosen by Vivitar, who instead went with the Komine version if memory serves.
A couple of quick images of a wonderful old dog (16 yrs and still going!)
I didn't quite nail the focus, but he wouldn't stand still.Very Happy
OH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. Is that a dingo? Lol. So Kiron and Komine competed for that range for series 1? Is the lens branded Kiron? Is it the same as the non series 1 Vivitar 28-85?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
Nice shots. Is that a dingo? Lol. So Kiron and Komine competed for that range for series 1? Is the lens branded Kiron? Is it the same as the non series 1 Vivitar 28-85?

Haha a very small pinto dingo - aka Jack Russell - yes branded Kiron and probably the same as the non-S1 Vivitar.
The S1 Vivitar is the Komine of legend -
OH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a beauty and great model. I checked, I have a Vivitar 28-85 with a Kiron serial number, it's a 2.8-3.8 variable focus. Does that match the Kiron?

I have 2 of the 28-90s, one in PK and one in Nikon mount. I agree with all the hype on that lens. It's a stellar performer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully your Jack has calmed some with age. Amazing that his eyes are so clear. Your lucky to have your friend live so long. My best friends have never made it past 13.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
He's a beauty and great model. I checked, I have a Vivitar 28-85 with a Kiron serial number, it's a 2.8-3.8 variable focus. Does that match the Kiron?

I have 2 of the 28-90s, one in PK and one in Nikon mount. I agree with all the hype on that lens. It's a stellar performer.

Yes that is correct - FWIW the Kiron serial is 25411341 - I don't expect any correlation with the Vivitar serial but you never know......
OH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful dog with lots of personality! The focus looks plenty good to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems you get pretty copy Oldhand. Before I found Viv S1 28-90 Komine ver I came up on Kiron 28-85 and it was completely disaster of a lens. It looked perfect, but photos were barely usable in my opinion at f/5.6 and closing to f/8 didn't improved a lot. I thought that simply Kiron version wasn't so good (which was a big surprise for me as I adore Kiron lenses), but it looks like it was my copy, not the whole series.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm concerned, the dog always wins! Smile

Don't know about the Kiron version, but I had the Viv/Komine S1 28-90 and it was a killer lens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JJB, Mateusz and Frenched.
Yes, I agree that the S1 28-90 has the edge on this lens, but the Kiron is no slouch either and performs well.
Happy snaps
OH