Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kilfitt Munchen Macro-Kilar 90mm f/2.8 ZOOMAR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Kilfitt Munchen Macro-Kilar 90mm f/2.8 ZOOMAR Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting bokeh in the first shot especially, what does this lens look like?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot SonicScot.

Circle in circle is lenses of feature

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Circles Reply with quote

The peculiar out of focus ligts must stem from the unique aspheric element. It does not have a cotinuously varied radius like modern varieties, but only two different radii. This can be seen if you look straight into it. The early version of the 90mm did not have this feature.

p.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
I really like this soft drawing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I bought a Zoomar Macro Zoomatar locally (which I believe is the last version of the Makro-Kilar). I didn’t know much about the lens at the time but it was relatively cheap and in remarkable shape so I took a gamble. I’m waiting for an M42 adapter to arrive so I can test it.

I haven’t found the patent or any illustrations of the lens design, but here’s a link (use google translate) that mentions these lenses have apochromatic design with 4 elements in 3 groups. Does anyone here have more info?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very skilled photography, so many fine bokeh snatches.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: here is some info on the first KMK-90 version Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks paulhofseth! It is indeed very similar to a Tessar.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to test the lens this morning and below are some wide open samples. You have to pick your angles carefully with this lens if you want to achieve that soft, dreamy glow without completely washing out contrast. It’s pretty damn sharp when stopped down, which is not surprising since it was intended for macro work but what did surprise me was how well purple fringing is controlled (almost nonexistent).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Kilfitt Macro Kilar D 40/2,8, in M42 mount, outstanding lens!
Bough it some twenty years ago for $50 just for curiosity, it was a sleeper till I put an adapter for digital Canon on it.

Last edited by Paulius on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done.

What do the Blue, Red, & Yellow rings on the ID ring signify?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilfitt used the 3 rings to mark their APO lenses. After the factory was sold to Zoomar in 1968 they stopped marking the lenses this way. (even thought the optical design didn't change)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also jou can remove the clipped cone on the front, it has a filter housing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to try that 100/2 Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuato wrote:
Kilfitt used the 3 rings to mark their APO lenses. After the factory was sold to Zoomar in 1968 they stopped marking the lenses this way. (even thought the optical design didn't change)

I had a feeling that was why, thanks for the confirmation.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuato wrote:

Can you tell us the source of the information?

Most Kilfitt lenses have similar three color rings/dots on the front/side of the lens. From my experiment of the 300/5.6 and the photos on the web, I don't think it is a designation of apochromat deisgn. Moreover, I never see any official material(brochures/manuals or ads) from Kilfitt containing words like APO or apochromat deisgn(they do mentioned their lens have excellent color correction just like the others). The red/yellow/blue designation also appear on some Rodenstock lenses. Coincidentally, both Kilfitt and Rodenstock are located in Munich...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Can you tell us the source of the information?

Most Kilfitt lenses have similar three color rings/dots on the front/side of the lens. From my experiment of the 300/5.6 and the photos on the web, I don't think it is a designation of apochromat deisgn. Moreover, I never see any official material(brochures/manuals or ads) from Kilfitt containing words like APO or apochromat deisgn(they do mentioned their lens have excellent color correction just like the others). The red/yellow/blue designation also appear on some Rodenstock lenses. Coincidentally, both Kilfitt and Rodenstock are located in Munich...

It's referenced in the Chinese link that I posted above (via google translate). Do we have any native speakers on this board that can provide a better translation or contact the author?

Born in 1956 on the use of APO Kilfitt 90 design, but on the original APO lens has not yet identifier. This lens is sold out after only a few hundred, Kilfit immediately on the new product before the opening marked the famous blue, red and yellow APO identity. In addition to the APO dot-like symbols, Kilfitt and some Voigtlander APO lens, such as Voigtlander APO-Lanthar also used three times in red, yellow and blue logo to indicate its special design and aristocratic identity. Somehow, Zoomar after takeover Kilfitt, abolish the red, yellow and blue tricolor logo APO. I guess, Zoomar feel that since all the products are used apochromatic technology, it is not necessary one marked on the lens.

I do remember also reading about this on a couple of other forum or blog posts (I'll try to find those links) In fairness, I've also never found anything official from Kilfitt on the 90mm Macro (AT ALL), so it's possible that everyone's quoting a wrong source Smile

Here's some background on the 40mm Kilar from a 11/1987 issue of Popular Photography:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The Chinese link mentioned Kilfitt used APO design in most of their products. However, it seems he is either a well-known collector nor he has any relation to Kilfitt.

Similar logo had appear on Ross 105mm/f3.8 Xpres for 120 camera. Initially, the lens on the early Ensign Selfix 820 Special camera does not have the color dots. Later, Ross computed a new version of the 105mm/f3.8 Xpres lens for the new Ensign Autorange 820 camera and put a similar blue, yellow and red dot on the ID ring to differentiate it with the old version. There are some people in Greater China claims the new lens is APO but I can't find any information on APO design on manuals or ads.

As far as I know, the only true apochromats made in 1950s for reflex caamera was the Kern (macro)Switar 50/1.8 and the few Apochromatic lens from Kinoptik . Some lenses did have good level of color correction but they are not true apochromatic lenses. Here is the ads for the Switar 50mm F1.8.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: internet "facts" ad lens decorations Reply with quote

The Kilfitt book by mr. Patrice Herve-Pont does not mention apochromatic designations at all. It does however connect the rings with the coatings used and states that some rings were red-blue-green, others red-blue yellow.

Some of the Kilfitts had the coloured rings drawn around the lens barrel rather than as small symbols on the front. The circles might just as well be decorative elements. I find it highly unlikely that my 3-element 135\3,8, which also has the small blue,red and yellow circles, should be apochromatic.

Kilfitts own brochures do not mention anything about apochromatics, and Alpa who specifically describe the Kern Switar and the 100 and 150 Kinoptics as apochromatic, does not list the Kilfitts they had available as such.

One might argue that Kilfitts´ brochures do not mention their very early use of an aspheric element for the 90mm either, and that they might have kept other design characteristics, such as apochromaticity secret as well, that will remain dubious speculation.

Even without extreme performance claims, it is a fact that mr. Kilfitts work on Robot, Meca and the optics, and his cooperation with mr Back of the Zoomar corp. produced highly collectable, high quality photographic milestones.

p.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi calvin83, paulhofseth,

Thanks the additional info and for the reference to Patrice-Hervé Pont's book- I'm ordering a copy. It looks more and more like the rings-APO connection is internet speculation, so I thank you for clarifying. Have you found any other articles or publications on this maker?

Here's portion of a Zoomar catalog that shows some specs for their lens lineup:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcomed, kuato.

It may be OT but I would like to ask if anyone ever see a Reflectar 4/250 for sell? It seems it is only appear in the catalog but never available for sell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Kuato,

Beyond Hervè-Ponts book, I only have a few of their brochures -not your late Zoomar one- I also have most of the Alpa catalogues and P.R. stuff. None mention apochomaticity. The few snaps I have taken with my Kilfitts are OK, but not anywhere close to the Kern Switar or the Kinoptics.

p.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
You are welcomed, kuato.

It may be OT but I would like to ask if anyone ever see a Reflectar 4/250 for sell? It seems it is only appear in the catalog but never available for sell.

There is one on eBay:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice rare lens, sold by a well known collector (and good ebay seller btw.)

hmm, I have a Lacro-Zoomar 50-125mm laying around unused, maybe I should let that one go...