Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kilfitt Munchen Macro-Kilar 90mm f/2.8 ZOOMAR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I notice the mirror lens on eBay too. The first copy I ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't understand the appetite for these Kilfitt lens. These lens seems way overstressed. A Tessar type lens which covers 2.25'x2.25' with a speed of F/2.8 shall be very soft wide open. Same is true for that 4/400 two lens design, if the catalogue is right here. That is beyond the range of an Achromat.

And for the rumours of the Makro-Kilar being apochromatic, this is simply not possible with a F/2.8 Tessar type design. Glass availabilty is to limited to ensure this. At F/8 this is much more realistic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AE Conrady wrote:
Can't understand the appetite for these Kilfitt lens. These lens seems way overstressed. A Tessar type lens which covers 2.25'x2.25' with a speed of F/2.8 shall be very soft wide open. Same is true for that 4/400 two lens design, if the catalogue is right here. That is beyond the range of an Achromat.

And for the rumours of the Makro-Kilar being apochromatic, this is simply not possible with a F/2.8 Tessar type design. Glass availabilty is to limited to ensure this. At F/8 this is much more realistic.

It's based on the name and reputation those lenses had back in the day. And those rare, extremely fast and large lenses still draw attention, esp. in Asia.
In my humble opinion of course Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, ain't sure whether or not this ever been a matter of discussion but - does all MK 90 lenses produce that wild-crazy double donut bokeh, or just some (earlier/later) versions? Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: aspheric= double circle bokeh Reply with quote

According to mr. Herve Pont the first version had the biradial element, but this was later phased out. Again according to him, there were three versions, the first two with 16 aperture blades, the last Zoomar version had 9. In the Alpa catalogues the code for this 90mm also changes over time.

The little book in German on the 50-125 by mr. Voigt (issued by the producer) should be suitable reading for anyone in posession of that lens.

p.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So only the oldest (silver) MK 90 tend to double-circle in bokeh if I get it right? Can anyone else prove this please?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list reflects the change of the names over time in chronological order, adapted from here http://forum.xitek.com/thread-542505-1-1-2.html .

Chrome Kilfitt Makco-Kilar C
Chrome Kilfitt Makro-Kilar with color rings
Black Kilfitt Makro-Kilar with color rings
Black Kilfitt Makro-Kilar
Black ZOOMAR(Kilfitt) Makro-Kilar
Black ZOOMAR MACRO-KILAR
Black ZOOMAR MACRO-ZOOMATAR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be as much concrete as possible, I have a chance to grab MINT or near-MINT MK 90 in later (middle?) black (P6/Praktina inerchangeable) version for €500, will that one also provide double donuts or is it anyhow model-limited?

C'mon, there are some owners!

[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it the lens formula is the same for all and the only thing improved over the years are the coatings.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Kuato.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: owners Reply with quote

Well, I have one in Alpa mount. Worked well at the time when I stil used my Alpas. 80 lpm from 5,6 and 3 stops up in the opinion of one US cam.mag.

I have not used it on my present digital bodies. Could dig it out of its resting place and maybe fit a spare Kilfitt M42 mount. I am, however, not sure that my extra Kmounts would be suitable, do not really have the time, and am not at all convinced that any snaps I would take could give a good basis for choosing.

My conclusion is that if you wish to collect it, its future value would in part depend on its mount. If Alpa, astronomical, if M42, reasonable, but still high. The mechanics are still unsurpassed so you might covet it for its metal.

If you wish to use it on 35mmFF, I assume that it might possibly be a little better than a contemporary Tessar or a Xenar, but then you might also be able to catch a CV90, a last version Elmarit 90, a Contax 90 or newer optics. For close-ups, do consider enlarging APOs plus suitable mounts or bellows.

p.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be shooting butterflies with, if anything.

I seek for collectible value, cool design and unusual bokeh. By doing so, I am not covering any macro work ambitions, as I do own Zeiss Makro-Planar 100 and Canon 180L Macro to name a few and can have some other macro lenses, like Volna-9, very easily.

I just want some Kilfitt, not interested in 4cm version, and if bought, I want the version with double-ringed bokeh, if differences exist which is not probable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some (not really much) hesitation I've purchased this one for €500 incl. shipping from EU, two mounts, one adapter and some original accessories as a pretty fine complete. Comes from the pretty nice collection, I think.

So far I am satisfied. We only live once Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Good luck with the lens, I hope you can make pictures with it that satisfy you still more.
Congrats

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, it'll join the triple line along with soon-to-be-sold? Canon 180 Macro and Zeiss Makro-Planar 100, hopefully providing unique butterfly double-circled background to die for Whoo Turtle
This winter I wanted to be ready Laugh 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for it. I have a nicer one from a private collection but that was very rare opportunity that may not occur again. If I had chance for M42 for €500 with possibility of local pickup and item description control, I wouldn't hesitate. One €500 Makro-Kilar is more interesting for me than 10 pcs of €50 mediocre common lenses.

Check fungus, or perhaps possible coating marks after having a long-term fungus too, as I think these are among the most fungus-sensitive lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLIPO wrote:

Hi guys and especially a big Hello Angry young man ! I bought makro Kilar 90mm 2.8 and 40 2.8 . This photo of the 40 2.8 . Later I'll add tests with 90 2.8 . I love these lenses ! They are very unusual . They're like the aliens in the crowd of ordinary lenses .

Welcome here Dmitry! Yes indeed, those lenses are very special, especially with their doughnut shapes bokeh. I have both lenses, too Wink

40mm:
http://macrolenses.de/ml_detail.php?ObjektiveNr=152

90mm:
http://macrolenses.de/ml_detail.php?ObjektiveNr=207 and here images shot with it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157647908667188

Also your lens is APOCHROMAT, even if it is not written one it (three color dots), as all those lenses have the same optics inside!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Also your lens is APOCHROMAT, even if it is not written one it (three color dots), as all those lenses have the same optics inside!

Hi Klaus,

Are you sure about this? If I am not mistaken I remember an old post rejecting the same claim with references to the old documentation (or lack thereof).

And a brief note: I do neither possess nor practise with either of these lenses and have had no claim on them whatsoever...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Three colured markers Reply with quote

The info on page one of this thread deals with the meaning of Kilfitts coloured markers.

p.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote