Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiev fit Jupiter 8M on Sony
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Kiev fit Jupiter 8M on Sony Reply with quote

While I was mounting the toy lens on my helical I thought I'd make an adaptor for my Helios 103 lens. I cant find it so here is the adaptor with my Jupiter 8M.

of course I didnt take photos so here is a diagramme of how I did it.

I used a thin strip of plasticard plastic wrapped round the barrel of the lens twice. I cut out a piece for the lug. When I was sure it was tight I glued the ring together holding it to the lens with a couple of strong rubber bands until it set. It was quite a job getting the lens out of the ring but at least it is tight.. I have a few m39-m42 adaptors and one fitted onto the ring with a little persuasion and a slight amount of filing. The ring held on nice and square so I screwed everything into the helical and tested the focus. I adjusted the adaptor ring's position until I got infinity focus. I glued the ring onto the adaptor. Simple really. I wound another piece round the assembly between the top and the adaptor ring to thicken it. I also made a thin strip to go inside the bottom of the adaptor to grip the camera-end of the lens which is narrower.

I painted the white bits black and trimmed it with some leather. A nice easy conversion.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, very nice!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More photos now with the Helios 103

I'm glad I made it with the Jupiter 8,because the barrel on the Helios is slightly longer. The Jupiter would not have got infinity had I measured it with the Helios..

I made an adaptor a while ago using an old Kiev camera but I dropped it and broke the spring so its a bit useless. The focusing helical is perfect for this job. I have two of them different sizes, they are indispensible for using enlarger and Braun lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is ingenious Phil, I love it. Looks well working, simple and practical. thank you so much for sharing!
I have not liked the handling of my self made adapter using a mount of a Kiev camera much, this is why I have not been using my Kiev mount lenses much. Now I plan to give your approach a try!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, you are a real maker Smile

Well done!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Where there's a will I look for a way!

I made a lovely adapter out of an old Kiev but damaged it when it was dropped.

A helical like this costs about £25 it is an M42-NEX 17-31mm and is useful for all sorts of projects. With extension tubes and an enlarging lens it is great for fine focus.

The adapter itself effectively cost nothing - well about £1.20 for the ring. You could use stiff paper rolled round the lens barrel half a dozen times and a wide cable tie to hold it on tight. Glue the ring on.

I'm going to hot glue my lens 'permanently' into the adapter as its of no use otherwise. It will prevent accidental fall-out and will remove easily.

I wish I could use my Jupiter 12 with my NEX. My original adapter would be fine as its only the 50mm lens clip thats broken. There is a will but no way it will work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil there is one thing that I have been wondering: what is the focus range that you are getting, which minimal focus distance?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get infinity to about 40cm with this set-up. With a normal M39 lens i.e my Jupiter 8 I can get down to about 25cm with the lens at its closest focus. So the Helical is a little better than my M39 adapter in that sense.

Naturally I had to fix it so that the lens focused on infinity with the helical at its shortest length.

here are a couple of snaps taken at full aperture at closest distance and about 100m from the building (infinity)

The left side of the pic is a little blurred, when I was putting the camera back I saw that the lens had moved a little. Definitely another reason to glue it in.