Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiev bayonet to leica screw?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Kiev bayonet to leica screw? Reply with quote

I gathered a small collection of cheap old rangefinder lenses, and I'd like to Buy a cheap old film camera to use them on.
All the lenses are in contax/kiev bayonet mount, except for a beautiful jupiter 3 which has a L39 screw.
My question is: is there an adapter that will allow me to use contax lenses on L39 bodies (or the other way round)?
Or is there a kind of mount that will accept both via adapter (maybe leica M)?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some have been made and sold in the past but they were very expensive.

Buy a Kiev!

They are superb, much better than a Fed of Zorki.

Also, you can take the helicoid and mount from a broken Kiev and make an adapter to use the lenses on a NEX or other MILC.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Some have been made and sold in the past but they were very expensive.

Buy a Kiev!

They are superb, much better than a Fed of Zorki.

Also, you can take the helicoid and mount from a broken Kiev and make an adapter to use the lenses on a NEX or other MILC.

Thanks. I already have a couple of contax-nex adapters (one bought from Attila made from an old kiev, and a cheap outer bayonet only).
As for the cameras, based on my very first impressions, I too would choose a kiev over a fed/zorki. But if I find a way to use all my lenses on a single body, that would be determining factor.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need rangefinder coupling, the adapter will be very expensive Click here to see on Ebay or M mount Click here to see on Ebay. If no coupling is need, you may be able to make one from a broken kiev.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried this, unfortunately the helical on the Kiev is wider than the M39 'throat' so it is impossible to go down that road. There are commercially made ones that someone has already linked to but they are very expensive.

It is possible to put the optical block of some lenses into another. I have a Helios 103 that I'd love to use on my Leica but putting the optical block into an Industar is a non-starter because of the huge rear element.

It may be worth investigating this path.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
If you need rangefinder coupling, the adapter will be very expensive Click here to see on Ebay or M mount Click here to see on Ebay. If no coupling is need, you may be able to make one from a broken kiev.

Thanks Calvin. Yes, I need rangefinder coupling: this makes the adapter way quite hard for me.

philslizzy wrote:
I've tried this, unfortunately the helical on the Kiev is wider than the M39 'throat' so it is impossible to go down that road. There are commercially made ones that someone has already linked to but they are very expensive.

It is possible to put the optical block of some lenses into another. I have a Helios 103 that I'd love to use on my Leica but putting the optical block into an Industar is a non-starter because of the huge rear element.

It may be worth investigating this path.

Thanks Phil: that's a bit too much for my abilities, especially considering that I may end up not using the film rangefinder very often (after all I have my digitals, a couple of nice film slr kits, a medium format project, and only 24 hours per day, most of which are taken by the job that pays bills). So, for now, a kiev will have to be enough. I may be adding another L39 body later on just for the j-3, it looks like the cheaper option in the end.

Does anybody know where can I get a good working one for cheap, apart from ebay?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have good one for my two Sonnars for using on my Bessa R too. Sadly, the adapter cost 200+ which is more expensive than my Sonnar 50/1.5. Sad