Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiev 88 and Arsat MC 2.8/80
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Kiev 88 and Arsat MC 2.8/80 Reply with quote

Since the last set of pictures I shot with a Zuiko 2/90 macro and uploaded here much to my surprise did not arouse any interest apart from one comment, perhaps the next set will be able to do so.

These images were shot with a Kiev 88 and an Arsat MC 2.8/80 lens on expired Kodak ISO100 negative film.
I have converted those images to b&w because the colour cast was just too extreme and b&w works much better with those subjects anyway.

More will follow next week. A friend of mine had these images developed and scanned at his local lab. As you know, my local lab really sucks when it comes to medium format film.
He will send me more scans next week.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second one to me, well composed nice capture. On first one unsharp front is disturbing a bit. How do you feel with KIEV-88 I always want one, but I didn't take any yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Second one to me, well composed nice capture. On first one unsharp front is disturbing a bit.

+1

Personally I've invested quite a bit into my kiev 88 system. It's difficult to get a fully operational body. Many of them (I've owned 7 bodies, 6 of them had it) have a light leak between the curtains when they are drawn across. Not much of an issue if you put on a cap or put in the dark-slide each time you wind but it's easy to forget to do this.

That being said, you can build one of the most complete medium format systems available for practically nothing. I have the Zodiak/Arsat 30mm, Arsat/Mir 45mm, Mir 65mm (there are two, I have the older), Volna/Arsat 80mm, Vega 120mm, Kaleinar 150mm, Jupiter 250mm, and the Tair 300mm. I have the body, pistol grip, spot ttl meter, wlf, 4 NT backs, 4 old type backs. I doubt I spent more than $1000 for everything. Just try to get that much equipment for that kind of price using another system.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about to use them on a trustworthy Pentax 645 body as I do with my P6 lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd picture is the best of the 2. Is the Kiev a 6x6 format?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about to use them on a trustworthy Pentax 645 body as I do with my P6 lenses.

I personally wouldn't do that. The point of the Kiev 88 is the versatility of the system and I'm not only speaking of the interchangeable backs, which is a large part of it. I find the 6x6 format to be much more dynamic when choosing crop formats. It may seem like a small difference but you would lose the full effect of the lenses. Especially the fisheye.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucis Pictor:
I think the second image is REALLY a fine image. The
black and white processing looks like it's spot-on, or at least what
I see with this monitor.

moleman:
I've used the Arsat 30, and it does block out some of the fish eye effect,
but it seemed to be taking pretty sharp images from my P645 body.

But, I think you have a very neat system for the price! Way to go, and I
hope to see more images. It's nice to have interchangeable backs, which
I don't have on the Pentax 645.

Also, I do really like the square images such as those that come out of my
Yashica Mat. Square is a wonderful format.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an Arax body? Basically a rebadged, rebuilt Kiev with a warranty.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kiev is a friend's one. I liked it but not that much that I now want to have one (in contrast to another fantastic cam I have presently on loan! Wink)

I do have an Adox Golf which is good enough for my medium format attempts. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more shots: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1147388.html#1147388