Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiev 4a scratches my glasses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Kiev 4a scratches my glasses Reply with quote

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a 10mm inside diameter rubber O ring that fits nicely on the horrible knurled eyepiece and I glued it on with contact cement. It's not permanent like superglue, and the O ring has come off once. I just glue another one on. Glue them carefully to the eyepiece and it will still turn to set the dioptre - which you could also do and take your glasses off.
The other problem with the Kiev is the sharp knurled dial for the shutter speeds, that hacks lumps out of glasses. A 31mm inside diameter O ring fits nicely around the outside of the dial and makes it safe. no need to glue this, it just fits around the outside.
Any engineering, hydraulic, farm implement shop will have a selection, and they are dirt cheap. Buy a few, it's cheaper than new glasses!

Last edited by Lloydy on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about rubber adhesive, the type you mend bicycle punctures with, painted round the eyepiece and layered up. It's not permanent and will rub off.

Or adjust the eyepiece.

Personally I wear bifocal glasses to see distance and close (for photography) and find it a pain to remove them each time I take a photo. I put some of this rubber solution over the eyepiece of my Pentax K10D. Now I dont have to. My eyepiece is focused and will work with my glasses on or off. I dont have that problem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kiev hasn't got an O ring on the viewfinder at the moment.

But the Zorki has

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I have found a 10mm inside diameter rubber O ring that fits nicely on the horrible knurled eyepiece and I glued it on with contact cement. It's not permanent like superglue, and the O ring has come off once. I just glue another one on. Glue them carefully to the eyepiece and it will still turn to set the dioptre - which you could also do and take your glasses off.
The other problem with the Kiev is the sharp knurled dial for the shutter speeds, that hacks lumps out of glasses. A 31mm inside diameter O ring fits nicely around the outside of the dial and makes it safe. no need to glue this, it just fits around the outside.
Any engineering, hydraulic, farm implement shop will have a selection, and they are dirt cheap. Buy a few, it's cheaper than new glasses!

Thank you for the advice, I did not know you could adjust the diopter or "dioptre" on the Kiev. How can I do that?
Thank you for the photos too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get scratch resist coating next time you buy specs, then take 'em back under warranty when they scratch and get a new pair.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiev 4a scratches my glasses Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Any suggestions?

These work fine for me http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/kiev-4/eyepatch/index.php

Geoff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dial of the Kiev puts gouges in glasses, it's like a bloody milling machine cutter! My last pair of glasses were ruined taking one picture with the Kiev. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiev 4a scratches my glasses Reply with quote

geoffox23 wrote:
uddhava wrote:
Any suggestions?

These work fine for me http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/kiev-4/eyepatch/index.php

Geoff

Thanks for source.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, when I used the camera it was in it's leather case which maybe could be modified to give protection.
Perhaps with a piece of leather from another case.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this I would use a thin strip of leather glued into a circle that would squeeze over the knob. But if you adjust the dioptre by turning the eyepiece you wouldn't need to wear glasses.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But if you adjust the dioptre by turning the eyepiece you wouldn't need to wear glasses.

Wow, does that work on yours?? Mine's solid.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l9magen wrote:
Quote:
But if you adjust the dioptre by turning the eyepiece you wouldn't need to wear glasses.

Wow, does that work on yours?? Mine's solid.

Mine also. I would need pliers to move it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have mine any more. I learned this trick from this forum. There were many incarnations of Kiev, perhaps it works on some models, I don't know.

Dave (Lloydy) got an answer?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried my Kiev and the dioptre adjustment was solid. A gentle tweak with pliers moved it, but I think it is so stiff it needs some freeing up and lubrication. Also, my eyes are so bad that without my glasses I can barely see the damn camera, so the range of dioptre adjustment doesn't appear to be enough for me. But I will persevere in the daylight, it might be that when freed up it will be OK?
I'll have a look through the Mazenburg book as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I've just tried my Kiev and the dioptre adjustment was solid. A gentle tweak with pliers moved it, but I think it is so stiff it needs some freeing up and lubrication. Also, my eyes are so bad that without my glasses I can barely see the damn camera, so the range of dioptre adjustment doesn't appear to be enough for me. But I will persevere in the daylight, it might be that when freed up it will be OK?

I have searched on the internet and have not found any where saying the diopter on the Kiev can be adjusted,
but if you can do it maybe you discovered something. I know some of the Fed rangefinders adjust the diopter using that ring. Good idea abut looking through that book.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

I have searched on the internet and have not found any where saying the diopter on the Kiev can be adjusted,
but if you can do it maybe you discovered something. I know some of the Fed rangefinders adjust the diopter using that ring. Good idea abut looking through that book.

I think you're right. The Kiev doesn't have dioptre adjustment. I was probably just turning it in the top housing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
uddhava wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

I think you're right. The Kiev doesn't have dioptre adjustment. I was probably just turning it in the top housing.

Thank you. Well, now I need to put some protection for my glasses on it. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
For this I would use a thin strip of leather glued into a circle that would squeeze over the knob. But if you adjust the dioptre by turning the eyepiece you wouldn't need to wear glasses.

Thank you for the idea.
I will try something out of leather first since I have a lot around from old camera cases.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up using fake leather from the case to a broken Beirette camera. I think it will work, but I want to
attach it with some double sided adhesive tape. Sorry for the really bad pic.