Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiev 4, Helios-103, Polypan F50, Fomadon LQN
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Kiev 4, Helios-103, Polypan F50, Fomadon LQN Reply with quote

Just a quick test roll to try out my new Kiev 4. Obviously works fine. Light was awful so pics are a but dull, sadly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series in bad light!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree that light was awful, and neither that pictures are dull. There are both highlights and shadows, and a full range of grays in the middle.
I think that, tonally speaking, this is the best of the Pan F 50 rolls that you showed so far.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Development was closer to ideal on this roll, I reduced time from 12 to 10 mins and this avoided the excessive contrast and bleeding of highlights. I also reduced agitation by 50%.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I don't agree that light was awful, and neither that pictures are dull. There are both highlights and shadows, and a full range of grays in the middle.
I think that, tonally speaking, this is the best of the Pan F 50 rolls that you showed so far.

+1. You may have persuaded me to venture out into the drizzle in the hope of getting some decent shots.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

+1
Your development technique for this film has improved a lot!
Tones and bleeding are indeed a lot better.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention, my test rolls are 1/4 as interesting as yours.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

Initial roll of this film I developed in ro9 1:100 for 1.5hrs. This was because I read that stand ro9 dev was the preferred method of many due to the inherrent high contrast of this emulsion and because it loses speed in most developers. I didn't like the results, the contrast was very low, grain was higher than ideal and I felt the result was overdeveloped.

My new Plustek 7600i scanner doesn't like very dense negatives, and the first roll was very dense, as was the second.

So I tried Fomadon LQN 1:14 for 12mins at 20C. This gave nice results but I felt the roll was again overdeveloped and this caused bleeding of highlights and excessive contrast which compressed the midtones.

That lead me to trying reduced time with LQN and this roll I did 1:14 for 10mins at 25C. I think this was close to ideal development for this film, highlight bleeding has gone and the tonal range is broader.

Skida, if you try some shooting the the dull and drizzle, BW is the way to go. You can shoot a colour film and convert it to BW afterwards, I had good results doing that, I used Fujicolor 200 and Silverfx 2.0 to turn the scans into BW.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end the drizzle won and I didn't venture out. The forecast for tomorrow is the same unfortunately, but my finger is itching....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh tell me about it, every day here gray and raining, it's getting me down to be honest, we had some decent light Sunday morning and I made full use of it but it was gone by 2pm. Sad