Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kern Paillard Switar 25mm f/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Kern Paillard Switar 25mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

I couldn't resist on buying a 25mm Kern lens because the price was good. Wow, heavy nice piece of a tiny lens!

There is one problem do, I can't screw the lens completely in to the C-mount adapter. The back end is slightly to deep. It is the AR type I got. I think it is possible to use wet sanding paper to get rid of a mm or two, but I don't know if it is enough.

Do anyone have experiences with this lens, or other comments? Surprised

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use a shim, that moves it a bit forward.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or try other adapter: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/38147889

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my, if you go grind something on the lens, you will destroy at least its value on the market and so never be able to sell it any more.

Your Switar belongs on a movie camera. For use with a digital camera you better adapt what’s new. There are different adapters on the market. In the worst case you might need someone make an adapter ring that fits. I am a mechanic and could do such but before asking me for a quote better do some research about the long rear Switar and adapters. I can’t tell right away where to find one.

Do leave the lens as it is, please. It’s a six element system with very good color correction and a good overall performance at f/4 . . . f/11. When you say heavy, you’ve got one with brass mechanics. Treat it right!

All the best from Switzerland

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot agree more!

Shims can be had for little: Click here to see on Ebay or as full set Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the cautious hint not to do anything to the lens!
I have no issues with my no-name adapter (on Pana Lumix G1), so you might want to either try another adapter, as already suggested, or go the shim way...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have one or two more adapters. I can try this first. And yes, I don't really like to cut a fine lens like this. Thank you for opinions and solutions Very Happy