Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kern Macro-Switar 26mm f1.1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Kern Macro-Switar 26mm f1.1 Reply with quote

Got this lens yesterday for a steal (considering the going prices today Smile.

Only to find that my current C-moun->m4/3 adapter has a too small outer diameter so that i can't mount it at all Laughing Ordered an RJ adapter on Ebay. In the mean time, I can mount it coupled with a 5mm extension tube. Obviously, I can only use it for macro.

It is definitely super soft wide open (f1.1), but that's fine, because it's this kind of softness and creamy bokeh that I got the lens for. Since I can't financially maintain more than one standard FL lens, I let go of my Switar 25/1.4 H16RX that I cherished.

Sharpness/contrast improves substantially once you stop down (obviously). This I think was at f5.6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing them , nice to see samples from famous lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Thank you for sharing them , nice to see samples from famous lenses.

You're welcome.

Got me an adapter that let's me mount the lens properly; still more closeup shots Laughing

Putting a little bit of distance:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I especially like last one!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures from a beautiful lens!! Very Happy

I love the swirly bokeh you got, absolutely stunning Wink

I wish I could stumble over a lens like this at a yard sale Rolling Eyes

How is the operational feel of this lens?

Best regards
Lars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Best regards
Lars

I see I'm like 1.5 years late in answering but feel is absolutely great. Much nicer feel on the fingers when focusing, esp. with enough distance between the adapter and focus ring. Also the aperture ring is a joy to use, though the bar sticking out can get in the way some times.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Best regards
Lars

I see I'm like 1.5 years late in answering but feel is absolutely great. Much nicer feel on the fingers when focusing, esp. with enough distance between the adapter and focus ring. Also the aperture ring is a joy to use, though the bar sticking out can get in the way some times.

Better late than never Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can contribute to this old thread, I don't think the Switar is that soft wide open, but certainly not as contrasty and sharp as stopped down. Here it is wide open:

Here it is stopped down:

Sharpness notwithstanding, I prefer the wide-open shot.

But the trouble with many of these cine lenses, even the best ones, is that wide open especially once you are past the intended image circle, the image falls apart. If centre is all you need, then that's fine, might even contribute to the bokeh, but if you want borders or corners, then you need to stop down and crop of course.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fantastic Speed Graphic!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: A few more samples from recent days... Reply with quote

What do you guys think?