Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kenya 1996 ... first shots from slides
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Kenya 1996 ... first shots from slides Reply with quote

Hi!

I have played around a little and built with an electr. torch, a paper softbox, a tripod and the Schneider Kreuznach Componar on bellows a set-up to copy slides to digital.

It did not really work. Most of the digital shots are out-of-focus and the colours do not look like the real slides (which are really nice). Confused

Anyway, here are some shots from Mombasa, Kenya in 1996.
(Ricoh KR-10x / Rikenon 35-70 on, I think, Fujichrome)

A bigger one:

And finally...

I thought that was very funny to find a Bayern Munich fan club in the middle of Mombasa.

I need to find a way to copy slides better. Wink

Last edited by LucisPictor on Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice results for a first try
look you made superb holiday there
btw what is Schneider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying it too using a set of M42 bellows with a slide holder. It works fine with a 35mm film cam but with the 400D, whatever lens I try, I can't frame the whole image and get it in focus. I've given up for the time being. Is it because of the small sensor?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I've been trying it too using a set of M42 bellows with a slide holder. It works fine with a 35mm film cam but with the 400D, whatever lens I try, I can't frame the whole image and get it in focus. I've given up for the time being. Is it because of the small sensor?

Yes. Compensate using a wider lens.
My Pentax bellows are optimized for 50mm lens on full frame.
I guess that if I used the 50D, I should mount a 28mm lens instead.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kenya 1996 ... first shots from slides Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Hi!

Anyway, here are some shots from Mombasa, Kenya in 1996.
(Ricoh KR-10x / Rikenon 35-70 on, I think, Fujichrome)

Nice slides.

I've tried similar kind of slide copying, and the results have been ok (not great, but usable). The same system works great with b&w negatives, but color negatives are a different story again... the colors are hard to get to match the prints.

Is that Rikenon XR 35-70/3.5?
I have the lens and I think it's a great lens. Have you used it with digital? Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Actually in my case it's 75mm lens that worked, not wider. With the Pentax auto-bellows and it's copier at least... the 28mm lens might work, but there isn't enough "room" on the duplicator side in my bellows. I use 75-150mm zoom @ 75mm and get the whole frame copied.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soikka wrote:
Orio wrote:

Actually in my case it's 75mm lens that worked, not wider. With the Pentax auto-bellows and it's copier at least... the 28mm lens might work, but there isn't enough "room" on the duplicator side in my bellows. I use 75-150mm zoom @ 75mm and get the whole frame copied.

That was my experience too, also with the Pentax bellows. I don't have a 75mm lens, the nearest that would fit on the bellows is the 58mm Helios 44 but it wouldn't catch the whole frame, and the rail is not long enough to use an 85mm.

I can get good results with a 50mm lens but only for part of the picture. If I move both the camera and lens along the rail to get more of the frame it becomes impossible to focus on the edges and the centre at the same time.

What software are you using for the colour correction for negs?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

What software are you using for the colour correction for negs?

I shoot RAWs and convert the colours with adobe raw converter so that the orange mask is close to grey. Then invert in photoshop and do some manual color balance adjustments. So it's pretty slow... Does anybody know an easier way? Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soikka wrote:
I shoot RAWs and convert the colours with adobe raw converter so that the orange mask is close to grey. Then invert in photoshop and do some manual color balance adjustments. So it's pretty slow... Does anybody know an easier way?

you can invert and correct colors in raw converter
go to [tone curve] dialog, select [point] and inverse the curve
then you can use white balance tool
I had to tune hue for certain colors with a IT8 card
save as new settings then you can apply to a batch of image very quickly with [apply preset]
be sure to use a recent version of camera raw, now it is 4.6
I also try to make negative profile with dng profile editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to this thread I got carried away and posted couple of my slide copier results in here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,96967.html#96967

Could some one please send a 100% crop of some results you get with a slide copier? My focusing might be a bit of in my examples Sad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
soikka wrote:
I shoot RAWs and convert the colours with adobe raw converter so that the orange mask is close to grey. Then invert in photoshop and do some manual color balance adjustments. So it's pretty slow... Does anybody know an easier way?

you can invert and correct colors in raw converter
go to [tone curve] dialog, select [point] and inverse the curve
then you can use white balance tool
I had to tune hue for certain colors with a IT8 card
save as new settings then you can apply to a batch of image very quickly with [apply preset]
be sure to use a recent version of camera raw, now it is 4.6
I also try to make negative profile with dng profile editor

Great! thanks for the useful info!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Kenya 1996 ... first shots from slides Reply with quote

soikka wrote:
Is that Rikenon XR 35-70/3.5?
I have the lens and I think it's a great lens. Have you used it with digital? Smile

Yes, I have used it on my 350D, it's OK, but it's not the constant f3.5 lens, it's its cheaper brother the 3.4-4.5/35-70. That was the first lens I have ever bought and thus I will never sell it.

poilu wrote:
btw what is Schneider

Schneider-Kreuznach, a German lens manufacturer.