Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kenlock Mc·Tor MC 1:3.9 80-205
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Kenlock Mc·Tor MC 1:3.9 80-205 Reply with quote

Good evening everyone,

I'm new on the forum and ended up here looking for information about a manual focus lens I own. My father bought it sometime during the 70s or early 80s I suppose and I would love to have information on it.

It's a Kenloc Mc·Tor MC 1:3.9 80-205

It hasn't got focus ranges (those lines that help you with the depth of field) and I'm curious as to why.

Any help guys?

Thanks!! Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-85-205mm-f-3-8.html

Is this your lens?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Kenlock Mc·Tor MC 1:3.9 80-205 Reply with quote

FotoPilot wrote:
Good evening everyone,

I'm new on the forum and ended up here looking for information about a manual focus lens I own. My father bought it sometime during the 70s or early 80s I suppose and I would love to have information on it.

It's a Kenloc Mc·Tor MC 1:3.9 80-205

It hasn't got focus ranges (those lines that help you with the depth of field) and I'm curious as to why.

Any help guys?

Thanks!! Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 touch zooms don't generally have 'depth of focus' markings, presumably because the depth of focus changes as a function on aperture AND focal length, making it near impossible to do. It is often done on 1 touch zooms, as it is easier to implement as the focus adjustment moves back and forward along the barrel.

In my experience Kenlock lenses are normally (often) manufactured by Mitake/Mitakon, but I have to admit I'm not familiar with this particular model.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who made kenlock lenses?

Is the same that made Paximat lenses?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-85-205mm-f-3-8.html

Is this your lens?

Not exactly. It's similar but it's not like mine.

This one is the one I own:

http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/759-kenlock-mc-tor-mc-80-205mm-f-3-9-22

Last edited by FotoPilot on Mon May 27, 2019 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
2 touch zooms don't generally have 'depth of focus' markings, presumably because the depth of focus changes as a function on aperture AND focal length, making it near impossible to do. It is often done on 1 touch zooms, as it is easier to implement as the focus adjustment moves back and forward along the barrel.

In my experience Kenlock lenses are normally (often) manufactured by Mitake/Mitakon, but I have to admit I'm not familiar with this particular model.

Thanks! What do you mean by 1 or 2 touch zooms? I don't understand... Confused

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FotoPilot wrote:
Alun Thomas wrote:

Thanks! What do you mean by 1 or 2 touch zooms? I don't understand... Confused

One touch are slide zooms where the focus ring slides up and down over the barrel You can zoom and focus in one movement hence one touch. Two touch have a separate zoom ring you turn to zoom in and out so you have to adjust both separately. Hence two touch.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one of these for a long time, Canon FD mount. It's not a bad lens, but it is up against stiff competition from the many very good 70-210's from Minolta, and Vivitar's Series 1 which are legendary. And that's why my Kenlock is rarely used. It just isn't as good, but for the price it probably sold for back in the day it was a perfectly good lens for those of us on a tight budget.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I've had one of these for a long time, Canon FD mount. It's not a bad lens, but it is up against stiff competition from the many very good 70-210's from Minolta, and Vivitar's Series 1 which are legendary. And that's why my Kenlock is rarely used. It just isn't as good, but for the price it probably sold for back in the day it was a perfectly good lens for those of us on a tight budget.

I've tried many, many third party (and camera maker) zooms from the 60s, 70s and 80s, and found exactly as you describe. The top tier was shared by some of the better camera manufacturers, some of the Vivitar Series 1 lenses, and some of Tamrons SP lenses. The occasion other third party effort will come close (but no cigar), whilst in general the average third party lens was usable, but not what you'd call 'good'. There was improvement into the mid 80's, but then many of the small makers closed shop in the face of auto focus technology.