Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Keith Rock / ferndowncameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Keith Rock / ferndowncameras Reply with quote

This guy now has his own website

http://www.rockycameras.com/index.asp

He does have some bargin lenses.

Some comments about him are not good:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/73157-avoid-cowboy-ebay-seller-keith-rock-ferndowncameras-%5Bused-rockycameras%5D.html

From my own personally experience, he can be hit and miss. But if you are nice to him, any bad items usually are refunded to me via discount in my next pruchase.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith Rock is a notorious bad seller Simon. We've discussed him many times, just search for Rocky. He had three different ebay IDs to keep his neg feedback looking better than it was, and now we think he has been kicked off altogether. Note there is no feedback on his website! Smile

Yes, you can sometimes get stuff from him in reasonable condition but it's pot luck as he doesn't inspect anything properly and he certainly doesn't detail defects. Just try getting an answer to emails if something goes wrong, let alone a refund!

"THIS SELLER IS A LIAR - AVOID" Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His name is dirt around here Simon - he's burned or stung too many people over the years. He also doesn't like us too much, going so far as to call us a bunch of "self righteous arseholes with God complexes..." in one email to me...

But, revenge - as they say - is a dish best served cold, and sooner or later Keith will get his comeuppance. That's not a threat, I don't do threats. It's a fact Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobody here have the knowledge to hack his internet site, and for example change all his prices to £0,99 I will pay for that! He! He!
this guy stole me a couple of time by the past Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
nobody here have the knowledge to hack his internet site, and for example change all his prices to £0,99 I will pay for that! He! He!
this guy stole me a couple of time by the past Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Then we would be the same as him,I don't think this forum would approve of discussing illegal methods being used.Word of mouth does a lot of damage on its own.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You right, but this kind of seller is(was) a very bad thing for the Ebay and Photography community. Anyway, lets the "Word of mouth" operate Wink
Fortunately there is some very great and honest sellers on the Ebay community !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Keith Rock Reply with quote

I have bought many items from "Rocky" over five or six years. Some lacked iris blades. He offered credit. I watched him sell tens of thousands of items! His feedback was a positive 60,000+ at least once. He put through so many items that only someone with impossibly high expectations could assume that everything was perfect. When asked, he was always willing to allow a credit for an item, except that the amount would be small as his postal charges from UK to Australia, were very low and he was a bulk cheap seller, so I never spent much on any item. He may have made a trading profit but it must have been a 50 hour operation at least, per week.

I have stumbled across his new site off eBay, and he has sold me a Zuiko 350mm 2.8. Paypal pending.

I will inform on how it goes.

I suggest that each of us makes up her own mind about his site and what he sells? It may be that he is selling less these days and I would expect higher prices and standards accordingly, but he is quite approachable.

One word, if you are ordering from overseas, it may be economical to buy several items together. He offers discounts. He might entertain offers on items, but the element of an auction has gone and I for one miss that! Recovering from OCD is a slow process!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does he get all of his gear for sale from Question

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, revenge - as they say - is a dish best served cold, and sooner or later Keith will get his comeuppance. That's not a threat, I don't do threats. It's a fact Twisted Evil[/quote]

Well said, bring it on! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twice bitten twice shy -- more fool me. Misrepresentation, and outright lying. Went so far as to tell me he'd tested an item on the model of camera it was sold for, and that Yashica must have changed the filter threads on the GSN midway during a production run. Indeed, they must have changed the GSN so much that it morphed into a Yashica TLR.

Eventually got a refund after a long wait, minus postage, ensuring that I paid for his mistake. Awful person to deal with, and notorious for abusive feedback, who had it in his 'terms & conditions' that he would ban from his auctions anyone who did not leave him positive feedback.

Never again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading through the reviews, am I correct that a buyer can expect their items to come, it is just the condition that is suspect?

This is an important distinction for those of us scraping the bottom end... buying $5 brackets, lenses to use for the mounts, etc, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Reading through the reviews, am I correct that a buyer can expect their items to come, it is just the condition that is suspect?

This is an important distinction for those of us scraping the bottom end... buying $5 brackets, lenses to use for the mounts, etc, etc.

At the end of the day it's very simple from where I'm standing - don't buy from this guy and you won't be disappointed. In fact, we should all refrain from giving him any business. As they say, 'vote with your feet' and shop elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are willing to "risk" it, then you may get a bargain. I have been lucy a few times and "very unlucky" also.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

Obviously it's a judgement call.

The first time it happened to me, I thought it was just one of those things, and he seemed to have a high feedback rating. The second time, when it got more protracted, I felt it was more than just one of those things, and took a closer look at his feedback. Every single complaint, such as 'Excellent' and 'Clear' lenses having fungus and scratches, was met with 'Idiot buyer' or some similar abuse. The same closer look began to uncover patterns in the feedback, like period runs of penny purchases from newly created accounts with zero feedback, with identical comments right down to spelling and punctuation. This also followed his changes of eBay ID.

My judgement call is that it wasn't worth the hassle, because I ended up with no item but being out of pocket, he not, and he having the item back to resell.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
If you are willing to "risk" it, then you may get a bargain.

Oh, I'm not after bargains... I'm after selection & economy. Wink

See, there is a price threshold at which most sellers will no longer deal with a low-value item... If it isn't going to sell for more than a certain amount, then they lose money taking the time to package & ship it. They would rather throw it away.

On the auction sites, the impact of this is that few sellers list the low-value items, and those who do list them in bulk lots (which cost a fortune to ship internationally), often with numerous items you don't need. With the online stores, it seems as though the bigger the store and the better the reputation, the less of the low-value items they sell. So if you stick to the "big dealers", your selection is much more limited, perhaps even nonexistent.

RockyCameras seems to be one of the few sellers left who still sells these items, and being able to buy a box full at a time to combine the shipping is what makes it economical. And like I said, when you're buying for parts anyway, the accuracy of the item gradings aren't necessarily of top importance. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought many times from him, I did count missing description , not as described etc. I did know he is a volume seller and impossible to sell in this volume on low price and get same quality items than more expensive ones. I remember only for one not as described item all others was bargain and good items. So based on 5-10 purchases Rocky wasn't worst than others. He has cheap offers so I not expect high class services.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug

Well said. He is acknowledged even by the most virulent, as willing to give credits. I felt this was appropriate as he certainly wasn't making much money.

I feel he might have been better off with descriptions as those of gggcam, who tells everyone who buys that the item is faulty! Not true in my experience, it is just his way of dealing with folks who expect new items at old prices!He denies all connection with Rocky... I am banned from GGGcam despite mutual good feedback, because I wanted him to combine postage, as you say, a very significant item to those of us in the "Antipodes"! He did but banned me!

We are all different and some tolerance may go a long way? I feel Rocky got his stock from local sources, but sold in $US with a view to export? He sells in sterling GBP now. Apparently he has 6,000 items on his site and 14,000 more unlisted! Cheap and cheerful?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: 350mm F 2.8 Zuiko Reply with quote

Well I received the cannon!! There are many technical terms for a big gun, but cannon is what it feels like! There is much to deplore about the cosmetics, but I have never worried about them, albeit I do get a thrill from gleaming metal and glass....

The glass is not perfect either, but I was aware of the blemishes to the front coating of the front lens. The heavily scratched outer front body shows where the hood has been used and this will be deep enough to protect from stray flare, but there should not be too much of an effect from the damage.

So, Rocky seems to have another satisfied customer! I will be testing it as I get the energy. It cost me $700 or so.....