Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kaleinar vs Orestor ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Kaleinar vs Orestor ? Reply with quote

Hello ! How do they compare ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100mm, right? I have the Kalejnar, but not the Meyer. I love meyer lenses, but haven't had this one. I can only say that the Kalejnar is razor sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the orestor and that lens had something very special i wouldnt exchange it for a russian lens (in this comparison) something very special about its rendering and about the dynamic range ir provided and very good colors. I had given it to a dear friend of mine as a gift as he has a full frame and this lens is just for that anyway.... my vote will go for the orestor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both I did vote for Meyer, but no matter both excellent lens, I did try Kaleinar with Leica-R 90mm f2.8 second version. I don't remember significant difference.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I had both I did vote for Meyer, but no matter both excellent lens, I did try Kaleinar with Leica-R 90mm f2.8 second version. I don't remember significant difference.

Damn it, Attila, I've been trying to resist buying another 100mm, but now?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Attila wrote:

No, don't buy it , I don't think so difference is visible. It was pure emotional , I did like it better.

Based on your stunning shoots I doubt you need better lens.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !!!!
Shocked Shocked Shocked
i've just lost it ! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
woodrim wrote:
Attila wrote:

No, don't buy it , I don't think so difference is visible. It was pure emotional , I did like it better.

Based on your stunning shoots I doubt you need better lens.

Thanks, Attila, I do know what you mean. And I'm very partial to Meyer lenses. But I now have three 100mm lenses and a Contax T* on the way... and I've wanted to try a Topcor 100/2.8, so something already has to go. I suspect in the end I'll still have three I won't want to part with, thus the want, not need.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally you will keep Contax I am pretty sure. I had Topcor 100 Navy excellent lens too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Kaleinar and Topcor - would never part with either.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Kaleinar and Nikkor 105/2.5 and I´m ready to part with Kaleinar - see the Marketplace sub-forum.

I like Kaleinar, but I have found it not better than my Nikkor, which is better built. So, my Kaleinar is for sale. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, can anyone compare the 2 lenses?

Both have same focal length and max aperture values, but the orestor has 15 diaphragm blades, compared to the kaleinars' 6 .

But you can get the kaleinar for about 3-4 times less the price...

So, which one is a better choice?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Attila wrote:

Well, now it has happened. I was just waiting for the right opportunity. Took some time though, but I'm patient. Since writing the above quoted post, I have acquired a Topcor, so now have six in 100mm focal length. Far too many. I will now definitely need to sell two, Pentor and Aragon, which I believe are the same lenses. The actual differences between all of these lenses (excepting the untried Meyer) are very slight. The ones I have now are Sonnar T* 100/3.5; Kalejnar 100/2.8; Topcor 100/2.8 in addition to the two mentioned above, and now the Meyer. Perhaps I will now be able to make the Kalejnar - Meyer comparison. However, it would be a lab-like test, it will be from shooting in real life.

My new Meyer:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Perhaps I will now be able to make the Kalejnar - Meyer comparison. However, it would be a lab-like test, it will be from shooting in real life.

It would be nice to see a comparison with Topcor and Pentor as well. But I'm afraid real life shooting is not so helpful comparison. I don't mean you have to shoot a chart but instead choose some subject with plenty of details and busy background and shoot it with all the lenses from the same position using tripod.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your point, dimitrygo and may do some amount of that. However, I have never found it very useful I'll explain... When I have made rigid lab type tests, I could not discern enough difference in the lenses that I could make a meaningful decision between them. However, when I put them in regular use, I experience image quality as well as other factors that are important to me. There are lenses that handle better, feel better, focus more easily, and for some unknown reason, provide better overall images. In other words, I am a better photographer with certain lenses over others. Then there are perceptions of better image quality that can't necessarily be supported technically. I won't claim that everything I just said makes perfect sense, just that it works for me. I am simply happier with some lenses.

Among the 100mm lenses I have now, I am most happy using the Topcor, although I can't fault the results from the Kalejnar. I generally like Meyer lenses, and especially the many bladed diaphragms, so I will be going into it with high expectations. If I don't like it, I will then complain to Attila for encouraging me. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Pentacon, one of the crapiest built lens, I bought 3-5 until I get one in good shape, congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Beautiful Pentacon, one of the crapiest built lens, I bought 3-5 until I get one in good shape, congrats!

Hey, it says Meyer. Did I buy the wrong one? Confused

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is latest version of Meyer, basically same than Pentacon, older zebra Meyer exists, it's built quality is perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any different optically?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
when I put them in regular use, I experience image quality as well as other factors that are important to me.

Sure this is very important but still without shooting the same object in the same conditions it is very hard to compare IQ.

woodrim wrote:
I generally like Meyer lenses, and especially the many bladed diaphragms, so I will be going into it with high expectations.

Unfortunately this one has only 6 blades and they are straight and not curved and this shows in bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:

Unfortunately this one has only 6 blades and they are straight and not curved and this shows in bokeh.

Arrrgggghhhhh.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least the comparison with Kalejnar will be more equal. I'm getting sloppy with my shopping. From what I see on ebay, prices have gotten quite high; at least I did well in that regard.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Well, at least the comparison with Kalejnar will be more equal. I'm getting sloppy with my shopping. From what I see on ebay, prices have gotten quite high; at least I did well in that regard.

Wait until you have tried it out.
It is in immaculate condition, and the rendering should be very nice - the bokeh might surprise as well.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement. I looked through images at flickriver:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/pentacon+100mm/interesting/ and they seem quite okay. Seems most people shoot wide open.