Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just received two "new" Tessars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Just received two "new" Tessars Reply with quote

Both in dreamlike condition!
One is the rather uncommon 4.5/40 (which exists only in aluminium finish)
The other is a 2.8/50 aluminium, the version with 16 blades
both are uncoated or single coated (no red T).

I don't have time to share test pictures now but I'll do it later.
For the moment I can say that while I can use normally the 40mm with an "unpiped" adapter on my shaved 5D, the 50mm's protruding rear base prevent me from focusing to infinity - which means that on an unshaved 5D the lens would probably not work at all.

Both lenses show similar qualities to the 3.5/50 that remains, so far, my preferred Tessar.

More later!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! 40mm is still missing from my collection Sad

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm patiently waiting! Razz

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The other is a 2.8/50 aluminium, the version with 16 blades

Hallo!
I don´t understand, what do you mean with 16 blades, the tessar is a 4 blade -system - or is there a misunderstanding

regards Peter

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one looks different from mine and Orios also I think. Is it a rangefinder lens? Seller says it is M42. Anyone know?

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padiej wrote:

Hallo!
I don´t understand, what do you mean with 16 blades, the tessar is a 4 blade -system - or is there a misunderstanding
regards Peter

Peter: blades, not glasses.
Tessar is a four elements (glasses) optical scheme. The blades are the metal parts that compone the aperture iris: the more blades, the rounder the aperture.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
This one looks different from mine and Orios also I think. Is it a rangefinder lens? Seller says it is M42. Anyone know?
Click here to see on Ebay

I think there is a mistake. The photo that is shown, looks entirely like the old 3.5/50 that I have.
It is certainly not the 4.5/40, unless it was made in a different shape.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I understand, my translating-programm has enorm limits, now all is clear, thank you !

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think there is a mistake. The photo that is shown, looks entirely like the old 3.5/50 that I have.
It is certainly not the 4.5/40, unless it was made in a different shape.

Yes, I think you are correct. I put a question in to the seller just for fun. I'm curious now. Maybe there is a third version of the 40/4.5 Cool

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my three Jena Tessars, put near to the 5D for size reference.
From left to right, the 4.5/40, 2.8/50, 3.5/50:

(photographed by Helios-44 on 400D)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful set Cool Does the 3.5/50 have trouble with mirror clearance on the 5d?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Beautiful set Cool Does the 3.5/50 have trouble with mirror clearance on the 5d?

No problem now. But my 5D is shaved. I seem to remember that I could not focus to infinity when the 5D was unshaved. But I am not 100% sure Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok. I remember now the post you made for mirror shaving . I'm curious if I will have any issues. I know the 4.5/40 will have trouble. Not sure about others I own. Maybe the distagon 2.8/28. I'm looking forward to your samples from the 4.5/40 especially.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ................
So the seller answered that the lens is a 4.5/40 so I placed a bid. I know the start price is a bit high. It could be an unusual model so taking a chance is an automatic. Sorry to highjack your thread Orio Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
OK ................
So the seller answered that the lens is a 4.5/40 so I placed a bid. I know the start price is a bit high. It could be an unusual model so taking a chance is an automatic. Sorry to highjack your thread Orio Embarassed

No problem and good luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the 4.5/40mm :

some 100% crops:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% crop:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems Carl Zeiss Jena knew more 50 yrs ago than many company today...

Excellent presentation! Many thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Shocked I'm amazed at the crispness of her whiskers. Especially in the last photo where she is looking down. Behind her whiskers is her white fur. There is no loss in edge and definition even with such similar coloration. These look great. Not as much POP as the CCZ 35 2.8 of similar photos from last week. Still very impressive for a 50 YO lens as Attila points out. Cool

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wide open:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Seems Carl Zeiss Jena knew more 50 yrs ago than many company today...

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
WOW Shocked I'm amazed at the crispness of her whiskers. Especially in the last photo where she is looking down. Behind her whiskers is her white fur. There is no loss in edge and definition even with such similar coloration. These look great. Not as much POP as the CCZ 35 2.8 of similar photos from last week. Still very impressive for a 50 YO lens as Attila points out. Cool

Well, I quote Attila, who said "Carl Zeiss is the lens". Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the 3Dimensionality in the last picture above.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now three from the 2.8/50.
Note the black bands in the first two pictures, they are due to the mirror not clearing the image cone completely before the curtain opened. The focus is not perfect because I was keeping the lens slightly unscrewed: