Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just bought an EOS 1Ds MKII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Just bought an EOS 1Ds MKII Reply with quote

I have a confession to make...

Over the weekend, I bought a used EOS 1DS MKII for £299 from Ffordes Photographic.
This camera is described as fully working, but reduced to sell due to high shutter count.

It has a high shutter count of >280K.
I think this camera is rate up to 200K average shutter life only.
The only warranty is a 10-day return if not as described. Normally used camera has a 6-month guarantee.

For sure this is an impulsive purchase Shocked
I know for the same price I could have gotten a good 5D FF. But I wanted something will a higher pixel count to match my Fuji XE-1.
I could not afford Nikon D3 or D700 which would be my dream camera. But then again I would not be able to use my extensive range of MF lenses on these bodies as well as a 1Ds would serve me.
Wink

I like big chunky camera BTW - I remember a pro once told me, if you shoot in the street, make sure you are visible. Don't sneak around as this will likely get you into more trouble. That's not to say I like to be noticed.

I had good experience so far with a used Nikon D2H with very high shutter count and "Err" message at start-up. Its still working away after shooting the snow, a wedding, and 2 B'Day parties. The camera has paid for itself by now, even it fails today.

Call me Stupid, or it is worth the risk?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for your purchase! You will reach 3K post count with your next post. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cam can as well be good for half a mil clicks.
So you should start to worry about your shutter only if the shutter makes funny noises. Wink

Congratulations! Sometimes we just want a big camera, don't we? Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sometimes we just want a big camera, don't we? Very Happy

One of each System/brand would be nice Laughing

Simon (I have had a mental blank I hope that's your name) it sounds like a good buy,can't wait to see some samples with it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!
I will surely post some photos soon! I can't wait. Very Happy

Hi Moira, you got my name correctly Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great camera! It will never let you down, I love mine. If you believe in dxomark results, it still beats many new cameras. You got yours very cheap, real bargain!
I paid a lot more but I've shot in these three years about 100 000 photos with it and still going strong Smile Yes, dont worry about the shutter, some of them last over 1 000 000 actuation Cool

I did a "ISO test" some time ago.

ISO 400

ISO 800

ISO 1600

ISO 3200

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats !!

This is not only big, but heavy as well Smile
16mpx should be enough for most cases.
My 5d is slow but still good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like it ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello there

i think this is quite a good move .D i have a 1ds that i bought after selling D700.

and i hesistate between 1ds 2 or 3, as the 1ds high iso are quite limited with 1250, and as said before don't worrry about the shutter just shoot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks for all your interests!
I finally received my camera in the post this week! Very Happy

First impression - WOW Shocked
This camera somewhat feels heavier that my Nikon D2H, although physically the D2H appeared to be bigger in size.

These sources seem to support my initial impression:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS-1Ds_Mark_II
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_D2H

1Ds MKII = 6.14 in × 6.20 in × 3.15 in; weight = 1,215 g
D2H = 6.2 in × 5.9 in × 3.4 in; weight = Approx. 1,070 g

Do I like it? - Absolutely!!
I have not felt this excited since I bought my first FF camera - Canon 5D a few years ago. Smile

Handling, feel, and shape of the camera. WOW, WOW, WOW. I really like this camera.
Compare to my Nikon D2H, this camera seems to be better built.
For one thing, none of the rubber parts are peeling off. The Nikon D2 and D3 series tend to suffer from this with age.
The 1Ds MKII looks perfect in this department.

AF Speed - WOW - even in very low light the camera acquires focus easy when paired with my 50/1.8 lens. In fact, the camera manages to find the correct focus faster than I am able to consciously assess the scene I am looking at through the view finder.

Dislikes
The camera menus is a bit complicated, in fact IMO ridiculously bad. The Nikon D2H is way ahead in this department (considering the D2H was released in 2003, whereas the 1Ds MKII in 2004).
LCD screen resolution and size is pathetically small. Then again no surprises there Laughing
No "Set" or "OK" button. So everything must be operated with at least two fingers. When you release one of your fingers, the item is set.
In fact to set the ISO you need three fingers on the camera Shocked
The viewfinder is much dimmer than my D2H. I have just bought the Canon Ec-CIV (STD for 1Ds MKIII) which I hoping might improve brightness of the viewfinder, as well as aid MF focusing
https://www.keh.com/352080/canon-ec-civ-laser-matte-focusing-screen-for-canon-1d

If this is no good, then I still have the old Ec-S which I used to use with my 5D for manual focusing. But this will be even dimmer than the stock focusing screen with the 1Ds MKII.

Photos to follow in my next post...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it! These kind of cameras are best value you can get!

stingOM wrote:
Thanks folks for all your interests!
No "Set" or "OK" button. So everything must be operated with at least two fingers. When you release one of your fingers, the item is set.
In fact to set the ISO you need three fingers on the camera Shocked

Yes, this is not a Windows (are you sure - yes/no) kind of logic Very Happy
Actually I like this two hand menu setting a lot. It's fast and you can change settings (like changing the ISO) in dark without any problems. But you get use to it also.

Enjoy!