Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just bought a Tokina Bokina 90mm 2.5 AT-X Macro f Pentax PK
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
hifisapi wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
cheekygeek wrote:
Non-Pentax shooters may not realize that sometimes the PK mounts sell for a lot more than other mounts.

Heh. This especially applies to PK "A" lenses. Not at all to the "M" lenses, though, I have found. I'm glad my Pentaxes have no need for PK-A.

I don't mind K or M lenses on Pentax DSLRS. Ive gotten used to the green button metering I guess. I believe the reason Pentax K and Nikon AI mounts of third party lenses sell for more than other manual focus mounts is that both Pentax and Nikon still make DSLR cameras that are fully compatible with these manual focus lenses. All the other old manual focus mounts have to be adapted or used on mirrorless camera without full capability of the lens.

I think there's a bit more to it than that. Add in M42 as well, and we all know what's happened to M42 prices over the past few years. All three of these mounts, plus a few others, such as Contax, Leica R, Oly and even Pre-AI Nikkors, can fit Canon EOS with adapters and achieve infinity focus without glass corrective elements.

As a Canon DSLR user with adapters for Nikon, Pentax K and M42, I enjoy the flexibility.
yes, but when you use lenses on dslrs with adapters you lose the automatic aperture function, not so with Nikon and Pentax on their corresponding dslrs and hence stong popularity.

I don't dispute the popularity of these lenses on their native systems. But they are still very popular on EOS as well. Having to work with a manual aperture is a trivial issue. It's a non-problem to me, and I suspect it is to most other EOS users who use MF lenses. I've noticed that, with my EOS, because its focusing screen is biased intentionally to be bright with slow lenses, when I have a manual lens stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8, the viewfinder image is still quite clear, not dark at all. So it really does become pretty much a non-issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
hifisapi wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
hifisapi wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
cheekygeek wrote:
Non-Pentax shooters may not realize that sometimes the PK mounts sell for a lot more than other mounts.

Heh. This especially applies to PK "A" lenses. Not at all to the "M" lenses, though, I have found. I'm glad my Pentaxes have no need for PK-A.

I don't mind K or M lenses on Pentax DSLRS. Ive gotten used to the green button metering I guess. I believe the reason Pentax K and Nikon AI mounts of third party lenses sell for more than other manual focus mounts is that both Pentax and Nikon still make DSLR cameras that are fully compatible with these manual focus lenses. All the other old manual focus mounts have to be adapted or used on mirrorless camera without full capability of the lens.

I think there's a bit more to it than that. Add in M42 as well, and we all know what's happened to M42 prices over the past few years. All three of these mounts, plus a few others, such as Contax, Leica R, Oly and even Pre-AI Nikkors, can fit Canon EOS with adapters and achieve infinity focus without glass corrective elements.

As a Canon DSLR user with adapters for Nikon, Pentax K and M42, I enjoy the flexibility.
yes, but when you use lenses on dslrs with adapters you lose the automatic aperture function, not so with Nikon and Pentax on their corresponding dslrs and hence stong popularity.

I don't dispute the popularity of these lenses on their native systems. But they are still very popular on EOS as well. Having to work with a manual aperture is a trivial issue. It's a non-problem to me, and I suspect it is to most other EOS users who use MF lenses. I've noticed that, with my EOS, because its focusing screen is biased intentionally to be bright with slow lenses, when I have a manual lens stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8, the viewfinder image is still quite clear, not dark at all. So it really does become pretty much a non-issue.

on a (d)slr, its much easier to focus and compose with the lens wide open rather than stopped down. That's why automatic aperture systems were invented in the 1950's.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If folk are going to take away Bokina from the Vivitar Series 1 (fair enough, I'm not arguing) I'll repeat my earlier suggestion for it, the Bokitar.
Sounds like the slightly older, better looking, better built, twin sister. Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
If folk are going to take away Bokina from the Vivitar Series 1 (fair enough, I'm not arguing) I'll repeat my earlier suggestion for it, the Bokitar.
Sounds like the slightly older, better looking, better built, twin sister. Wink Laughing

Maybe, but Tokinas RMC coatings are better than Vivitars VMC coatings and that affects the final image.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Maybe, but Tokinas RMC coatings are better than Vivitars VMC coatings and that affects the final image.

I wasn't discussing coatings the I have no idea which is better but I don't always assume newer equals better. I don't have both lenses so I can't compare, maybe someone else is in a position to do so. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

I wasn't discussing coatings the I have no idea which is better but I don't always assume newer equals better. I don't have both lenses so I can't compare, maybe someone else is in a position to do so. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: More details on lens Reply with quote

the ebay seller I bought the bokinaII from provided this link to an interesting page about it:
http://makingnottaking.blogspot.com/2010/05/tokina-90mm-f25-at-x-macro-bokina.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:

Bokitar sounds right, a good name for a terrific lens Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:

Bokitar sounds right, a good name for a terrific lens Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I do remember seeing a comparison at some point - maybe here on MFL?

As for the Bokina designation, I think it is perfectly fine to assign that name to both brands since they are basically the same lens made by the same manufacturer. Besides, everyone else is already calling both lenses Bokina. If important, you can always ask which one, but that is typically said anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
As for the Bokina designation, I think it is perfectly fine to assign that name to both brands since they are basically the same lens made by the same manufacturer. Besides, everyone else is already calling both lenses Bokina. If important, you can always ask which one, but that is typically said anyway.

Makes sense to me. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prices I have read here are crazy. But Ifheishappy...
Making not taking nice website has already been found, with some pro & cons between the 2 lenses.
Bokeh is a modern concept...and so is Bokina nickname.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for this lens via international shipping. Man I just hate the waiting for something you want to get your hands on.
I usually don't buy from outside USA, but since these are rare, you cant be to choosy. Will post some sample photos once I
actually get it for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find this an interesting read...
http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=1878

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I agree with Wolverine. Keep both. I also have the Vivitar/Kiron 105/2.5 and I wouldn't part with it, despite the fact that I also own a 55/3.5 Micro-Nikkor, a 90/2.5 Tamron, a 100/4 Canon FD, and a 100/4 Penax SMC-Tak, all macro lenses. The more, the better. I'm still planning to add a Canon FD 50/3.5 Macro to the fold, mostly for old times sake (I owned own years ago), and I wouldn't mind owning a good 200mm macro, but talk about expensive! All the good ones are priced out of sight.

I also have a vivitar 135mm F2.8 "macro", which looks like a macro, walks like a macro and talks like a macro, but vivitar doesn't call it a macro, they call it "close focusing" for some reason. Whats the difference in this case???

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:

I also have a vivitar 135mm F2.8 "macro", which looks like a macro, walks like a macro and talks like a macro, but vivitar doesn't call it a macro, they call it "close focusing" for some reason. Whats the difference in this case???

Maybe not flat-field?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eno789 wrote:
hifisapi wrote:

Maybe not flat-field?

Don't know, it only goes to 1:2 instead of 1:1 maybe that's the reason, but it sure operates like any other macro.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's really nothing to say about the Bokina that hasn't already been said. So... pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the bokina II in the mail today. Raining outside so no flower shots.
Heres the first shot, a grabshot to show sharpness at f11, not bokeh.
You can even see the threads in the linen. This is sharp all right.
I think am going to like this one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres another sample showing the excellent color saturation. this was taken in
rainy overcast skies lighting. The plant was very light green as shown. This one
was taken with the lens wide open, yet its still very sharp on the plane of focus.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one was F5.6 I think. Overcast lighting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp as a tack and excellent results, congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No flowers yet but I had to test it with something in the macro range.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on a great lens! I also recently picked up a Bokina, the Vivitar Series 1 version, including 1:1 adapter and a B+W MRC UV filter for 130 USD (equivalent). Not in mint condition, but pretty close. Some dust inside and a few marks on the body, but 100 % functional. The combination of ridiculous sharpness and great bokeh suits me fine...
Click for full-res.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more samples with the bokina II: