Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just bought a DP1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, you are comparing a tiny, pocketable camera with the two best digital cameras available on the market. As Scheimpflug says, that's exactly the point: a compact (with all its limitations) with a great sensor and a great lens.

Regarding cost, the D1 cost me 150€, that's a full camera with lens, battery, etc. The D2 little more than 200€. If I had the money for an M9 and one good lens, I'd probably get it as for me it's the best camera on the market. But I would probably still feel the need for something smaller, with good IQ.

I really don't understand why manufacturers have forgotten the rangefinder focusing mechanism: a cheap rf like those mounted on hundreds of cameras from the 50s to the 70s (not Leica, not Zeiss) costs very little to manufacture and matches the best AF mechanisms in speed and precision. An RF on a DP2 would probably cure 3/4 of the problems users have with the camera: no slow AF, no noisy retractable lens, no need for an expensive additional vf, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine the DP2 tech inside a Yashica Electro 35GS. And that for about €500,-.
I would instantly buy one! And I am sure many people would!

I can understand the positions here. And although many people think that Foveon has the lead in colours, I rather think it's an overall impression.
Colours are far too much influenced by post processing.

But Foveon shots are IMHO closer to film results than CCD shots. Something that it not easy to describe (Why do we still like film?). And that's the main argument for Foveon (at least for me).

But it might be that camera philosophy has more influence on that effect than sensor technology. I don't know. Why I think so? My Leica Digilux 2 resembles results on film more than any other digital cam I have - and the D2 uses a CCD.

Ah, and yes: Foveon shooters are cool! Wink
In the same way like Leica M shooters are cool or rangefinder shooters are cool. They are not mainstream. Wink

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my DP1 now and again and am, I suppose, a bit of a Foveon fan, but like anything one uses the tool to suit the occasion. Great in some circumstances - not so great in others.
I often find it useful for keeping a digital notebook of film shoots in the landscape.

*that's my Rolleicord under the hat!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Orio, you are comparing a tiny, pocketable camera with the two best digital cameras available on the market.

No, I'm sorry, but it was not me to compare the DP2 with the 5D(II), Scheimpflug did compare them. I just replied specifically on Scheimpflug's comparison.
Please read again the thread.
The only thing that I said was that I don't see colours that I can not reproduce with my 5DII or M9 cameras.
Then Scheimpflug started a comparison with 5DII, posted a comparison photo,talked about the sizes, the prices, et c.
And to that I replied.
That is what I don't like of these "religious" system battles: just for the sake of the polemics, you end up with things put in your mouth, that you never said.
I am out of this thread, I only made a remark about the colours, I don't want to be involved in a religious system battle.

_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
No, I'm sorry, but it was not me to compare the DP2 with the 5D(II), Scheimpflug did compare them. I just replied specifically on Scheimpflug's comparison.
Please read again the thread.
The only thing that I said was that I don't see colours that I can not reproduce with my 5DII or M9 cameras.

That's exactly what I meant, you are (in a sense) comparing the Sigma compacts to the 5D MkII. Smile

And I did not mean that in a religious war sense, just to note that just thinking about this is somehow a badge of merit for a tiny, cheap (if bought used) camera.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:

That's exactly what I meant, you are (in a sense) comparing the Sigma compacts to the 5D MkII. Smile

umpf... I give up. Rolling Eyes

I don't have a compact camera to compare. But if I look at the image sample from a Canon Powershot:

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/images/cameras/powershot/PS_G12/sampleimg/sampleimg_2.JPG

I still see nothing that leaves to be desired in comparison with the images I saw of the DP2, even if I enlarge it to the maximum size I see an image with perfect detail and beautiful colours.
And in this case, we are talking of a compact camera of approx. the same price of the DP2.

The point here being not to tell which one is better or worse. They both seem excellent cameras. The point is simply to verify in the images to what extent the statement that the Foveon gives colours that the other sensors can not deliver, is real.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh God!... I hate religious wars.

I love foveon cameras even they are crap. I don't care if the sensor element is made of 9 or 35 silicon transistors or if the microlenses on top of the sensor distort the result. From a practical point of view, I can say that my best shots in my whole life have been taken with Foveon cameras. Currently I own a SD9 and a DP1s (that comes always with me). I got also a Powershot A495 because the 1cm close focusing distance, (the DP1s doesn't close focus at all). The pictures taken by both are abysmally different in quality. I had also a SD10 and a SD14 in the past, and I regret to have sold the SD14 (the SD10 is quite similar to the SD9, a little more comfortable and with better ISO response). So I don't discard to have a SD14 again in the near future, be it crappy or not. Just because the quality of the pictures I was able to take with it.

Hopefully nowadays selecting a camera is not like in the past, where one had to look at specifications and once the camera was in house it was for many years. Most of the camera sellers do allow for a one or two week trial where you can return the camera if you aren't satisfied. (Like the FNAC retail stores).

Next to the Foveon ones I rate the Pentax, (I keep as if it was mede of gold) my *istDS. Even if the colour is not as good as with the SIGMA, It's the one that allow me to focus with MFlenses with the higuest precission.

So I'm happy with the crappy Wink (and with the not so crappy)

P.S. Anu, I love your squirrel shots and I don't care if they are taken with a pinhole or with a 5DIX. Wink What matters is the picture

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
I love foveon cameras even they are crap.

Jes, let's separate Anu's judgement which is obviously provocation (and no one can seriously agree on that judgement), from the real subject. Is that possible?

Jesito wrote:
Currently I own a SD9 and a DP1s (that comes always with me). I got also a Powershot A495 because the 1cm close focusing distance, (the DP1s doesn't close focus at all). The pictures taken by both are abysmally different in quality.

Ok, is it possible to see some comparison pictures, taken with, say, the DP1 and the Powershot, with the same subject and under the same identical condition (and with comparable camera settings), so that we who don't have a Foveon camera, can see with our eyes, where all this Foveon superiority actually is visible in the images?
Because I keep hearing a lot of talk about this superiority, but, so far, no "walk", so to say. It would be nice to ascertain this huge difference with our eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
ludoo wrote:
I only know that a large percentage of the Foveon pics I see posted in forums are really really good, while I cannot say the same about pics from traditional sensors.

And Anu, I find your way of intruding into a thread to post denigratory comments with no room for discussion, very rude. And frankly, who cares if you hate Foveon sensors? Just don't talk about it, at least not before having used it for a while, which was the point of this thread: asking opinions from owners.

Ludo has right Anu, first and last warning to you to stop this behavior! This is repeated trouble with you , so stop it please! If you don't like something ignore it, don't need to degrade other people joy.

Posting facts is not ok. Very well then and farewell.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu wrote:
Attila wrote:
ludoo wrote:
I only know that a large percentage of the Foveon pics I see posted in forums are really really good, while I cannot say the same about pics from traditional sensors.

And Anu, I find your way of intruding into a thread to post denigratory comments with no room for discussion, very rude. And frankly, who cares if you hate Foveon sensors? Just don't talk about it, at least not before having used it for a while, which was the point of this thread: asking opinions from owners.

Ludo has right Anu, first and last warning to you to stop this behavior! This is repeated trouble with you , so stop it please! If you don't like something ignore it, don't need to degrade other people joy.

Posting facts is not ok. Very well then and farewell.

This was not a fact ... say crap somewhere also to another people joy , possible face to face not from behind computer...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

This was not a fact

+1
Anu you should have limited yourself to posting the scientific facts supporting your opinion. Calling things with bad names does not help the discussion and neither the relationships.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Jesito wrote:
I love foveon cameras even they are crap.

Jes, let's separate Anu's judgement which is obviously provocation (and no one can seriously agree on that judgement), from the real subject. Is that possible?

Jesito wrote:
Currently I own a SD9 and a DP1s (that comes always with me). I got also a Powershot A495 because the 1cm close focusing distance, (the DP1s doesn't close focus at all). The pictures taken by both are abysmally different in quality.

Ok, is it possible to see some comparison pictures, taken with, say, the DP1 and the Powershot, with the same subject and under the same identical condition (and with comparable camera settings), so that we who don't have a Foveon camera, can see with our eyes, where all this Foveon superiority actually is visible in the images?
Because I keep hearing a lot of talk about this superiority, but, so far, no "walk", so to say. It would be nice to ascertain this huge difference with our eyes.

Of course, Let me prepare some shots... under good sunlight Wink

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Of course, Let me prepare some shots... under good sunlight Wink

Thanks Jes
No postwork please, so that we can judge the original files directly.
Do these cameras save in raw format?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all the DPx can save in raw, and sigma photo pro is pretty nice, especially the fill light option.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I open those RAWs in Lightroom or in Capture One Pro?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Orio you can, though people say that the best results in terms of colour are achieved with the free Sigma Photo Pro, or Silkypix.

Meanwhile, I picked up the DP2 last night outside the Montparnasse train station, and I am surprised at how tiny it is. With the new firmware autofocus is pretty snappy, I will try to use it today even though I still have quite a few shots in the roll loaded in my Olympus.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the photos, Ludo. I always love to see photos of Paris.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm shooting very little: weather is awful, and I'm saving the few energies I have left (still have a flu from last week) for my family. Smile

But the camera feels very very nice, if it had an optical or electronic viewfinder it would be really exceptional.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a strange dream last night. I woke up (in my dream) and found that I sold the SD10 without knowing why. Then I really woke up and was completely puzzled for two or three seconds if I still have the camera or not. Shocked Embarassed

What does that mean?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I had a strange dream last night. I woke up (in my dream) and found that I sold the SD10 without knowing why. Then I really woke up and was completely puzzled for two or three seconds if I still have the camera or not. Shocked Embarassed

What does that mean?

that mean you are getting old, don't mix beer and pills

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

that mean you are getting old, ...

That, I know!

poilu wrote:
... don't mix beer and pills

Laughing Thanks for the hint. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

What does that mean?

It means deep inside you have a fascination for the foveon sensor, and dread having it taken away from you. Smile

Or that you have too many cameras and are unable to keep track of them.

On second thoughts, the latter explanation seems more plausible. Razz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

What does that mean?

It means deep inside you have a fascination for the foveon sensor, and dread having it taken away from you. Smile

Or that you have too many cameras and are unable to keep track of them.

On second thoughts, the latter explanation seems more plausible. Razz

Razz Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where I'm at

news crews reporting from Paris CDG, with about 15cm of snow on the ground, half today's flights cancelled and the other half on standby. And we're stuck here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:

news crews reporting from Paris CDG, with about 15cm of snow on the ground, half today's flights cancelled and the other half on standby. And we're stuck here.

Stuck in Paris. What a terrible disgrace. We all feel very very sorry for your tragic situation Evil or Very Mad