Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etorix wrote:
hm, i'm bidding on a almost-mint example, in the UK

i'm almost suspicious of its non-used condition, is it because its duff

or was bought back in the day, and stashed away, just

a lens with usermarks has had lots of use, so someone liked using it

and continued to

I usually tend to buy battered lenses, but the main reason is that they're cheaper.
I found some lemons among mint looking ones, too, but I wouldn't make a rule out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
etorix wrote:
hm, i'm bidding on a almost-mint example, in the UK

i'm almost suspicious of its non-used condition, is it because its duff

or was bought back in the day, and stashed away, just

and continued to

I usually tend to buy battered lenses, but the main reason is that they're cheaper.
I found some lemons among mint looking ones, too, but I wouldn't make a rule out of it.

+1

I've bought my J-9 (1968 in ltm) at a fairly low price (80€ or less if I remember correctly), cosmetically not in best shape, front and rear lenses with some major cleaning marks, still it can deliver some beautiful images.
http://www.telltale.it/la-alhambra-de-granada/
http://www.telltale.it/nerja-2/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etorix wrote:
and continued to

It's mostly a myth. I have/had plenty of samples, and discovered no meaningful corellation between the quality of each sample and the amount of usage traces.

With Jupiter-9, the older the lens, the better are the chances to get a good sample. (Naturally, older samples tend to show more wear. That's because they enjoyed a longer life, and not because they were chosen over inferior samples.) My best Jupiter-9 was made in 1959. I used good samples made in the 60's and 70's. 80's can be more of a hit-or-miss, but many good samples still exist (my 1981 copy is good). If the lens was made in the 90's, your chances of ever seeing a good copy are pretty slim. J9 was manufactured until early 2000's. My 2001 sample (MC version) is glowing soft wide open, but sharpens quickly stopped down.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh, outbid at 72 gbp with a day to go --im out i reckon

someone really wants this copy and they are welcome to it, imho

seller he say

Quote:
The serial number is 7602502. Twelve of the aperture blades have oil on them between a third to half way up the blades

not for me, this week -- also theres others up at fairly reasonable 'buy it now'

in other news, whilst chasing Tair-11A info i came across the Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 2/58

smaller in size, and still f2 wide open, prolly spendier to get a good condition T* copy

kinda interesting ... wonder which way it focusses [heh]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have/had all variants from this lens include an early prototype M42 lens. They have little differences mainly wide open sharpness , RF lenses are sharper wide open than SLR lenses , they are wasn't ever respected lenses high value items, so easy to find one improperly fixed, tampered but... I had /have at least 10 different copies all did work well, no issues. In quality bright light all perform very well, low quality light is different, most lenses are not perform well except best Zeiss and Leica lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila .. you are referring to the Biotar 2/58 i assume

one i am watching has quite dull [non-shiny] aluminium body, but it has the IQ symbol, and no T*

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etorix wrote:
meh, outbid at 72 gbp with a day to go --im out i reckon

someone really wants this copy and they are welcome to it, imho

seller he say

Quote:
The serial number is 7602502. Twelve of the aperture blades have oil on them between a third to half way up the blades

If this refers to an M42 J9, then oil on the blades is normal and not a problem at all. The lens is a preset type, which means the aperture
blades are adjusted manually, not by the camera. Oil on the blades becomes a problem only on "Auto" type M42 lenses where the
aperture is closed by the camera.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, oil on the blades is only a minor concern here, good info tho, cheers

this particular copy looks mint

so its likely to go for more than i can currently pay, judging by the interest i've seen so far

i'm not in a great rush, tbh

this researching on good fast old lenses i find kinda fun, i keep getting sidetracked interestingly

its also not lost on me that i keep winding up back on here thru searches

this place is a goldmine of info

thru here ive just dated my favorite ol' 5x4 lens, my voigtlander technika-heliar 1:4.5 21cm [to 1963 -ish .. i thought it was older] and found a possible replacement working shutter for it [on a 210mm f4.5 Schneider Xenar]

i cant find my singer-made 6x9 rollfilm back, but i cant really do film rightnow anyway,

my 5x4 is a linhofcolor which only has limited movement

actually ideal for a digital-camera-adapter back in some ways

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, well so far this week i'm not buying that minty Jupiter-9

and now i'm not buying a fairly tatty Biotar with the IQ symbol and no T*

mostly because i put a bid in on a Xenar in a shutter that i need, a Compound #3

and so far affordable, ok its in the US but thats not a huge issue

i actually dont strictly need an 85mm and a 58mm but both would be interesting, im very taken with the Biotar

what i do need after this little Xenar plot plays out is to get a focussing-helicoid-mount for the Nikon Rangefinder 50mm 1.4 ive had awhile now

and which i've been warfling about for months

the choice was between the Amedeo which is LTM so i could use it on Pana G1 AND Canon but needs additional adapters, kinda messy

or the mflenses one which is M43 only ..

and thats the way ima go, actually, it gives me a small, lightweight, fast 50mm 1.4, altho only for the Panasonic G1

hm, no, for only Micro 4/3rds, heh

i like my G1, it ljust acks video-capture capability

i pretty much bought the camera specifically for this lens, which i think i got a reasonable deal on

hope its a good'un

it does look kinda good http://i.imgur.com/FcrVB34.jpg?1

time i found out tho

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, my adapter for Nkon RF to M43 should be with me in under a week, its bin fabricated

i cant be spending out on Biotars and Jupiter9s yet, still got my eye on some examples tho

but not till i see for myself how my NikkorS-C 5cm 1.4 performs

and whether its still a viable everyday-working lens

ive owned [and used] VietnamWar era Nikkors - bulletproof - literally

this is from the KoreanWar times

i hope it likes me, and being used again

the 'EasyFoto 43mm' lenshood allegedly has the correct weird thread-fitting, got one on the way also

with the M43 adaptor i can use P-L rear cap, so no need for the incredibly pricy original lenscaps ..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm, i'm totally not seeing many Nikkor 8.5cm f/2 LTM on the market, in any condition, nor in S Mount

whereas i AM seeing NIKKOR-P.C 10.5cm F/2.5 S Mount

some in affordable state, i.e a bit battered, 'slight fungus' etc

tho i think i'd rather LTM version really

its starting to make sense to me to try build a small RF Nikkor kit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i got beat out on the Nikkor 105mm

went for a Leitz 50mm f2 Summitar in rather poor condition instead tho, bit of separation at the front

serial gives 1939 -ish

my only previous Leica lens is on my 35mm Leitz Focomat enlarger, used to work well back in the day

tho i mostly used a Nikon, brighter image, easier to focus

i've pretty much always had the odd Leica accessories falling about, never a usable taking lens