Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9 question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three 1960s J9s in Kiev/Contax mount, all three are sharp from f2.8 - at f2, residual SA is too strong to be really sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caribou wrote:
scsambrook wrote:
About the M42 version in the 70's, I read somewhere that it was modified to give more soft focus... that was hype at this time (remember all those vaporous portrait and of course David Hamilton). Don't know if it is true but it would be an answer, plus the "famous" variation in the russians lens production.

I've never heard about the soft focus alteration suggestion which, taking in to account the contemporary Soviet attitude to Western culture, seems to me to be highly unlikely.

I suspect there's another, far more prosaic, explanation....
Perhaps, again I have no confirmed sources about that. But the soviet lenses production was also sold in western. And at this time (70's) there were sold by both Western countrys and Soviet union "soft focus" filters, precisly to reduce the sharpness of the portrait lenses.

Yes, Caribou is absolutley correct to say there were "soft focus" lenses of various types which created an assortment of effects, and certainly the Soviet lenses were sold in some Western countries, although their availability was often restricted. It's an interesting hypothesis that the Soviet designers puposely sought to "cash in" on the Western interest in softened images and it would be interesting to see if anyone can come up with some solid evidence to support it. but, for now, I continue to think that the then-Soviet photo industry was highly unlikely to have had any such commercial acumen, given the nature of their planned and directed economy Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

up

Jupiter-9 Automat (wide open)

DSC02606 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

DSC02619 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

DSC02621 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images. I have a silver 1962 Jupiter-9 and it's very sharp, even wide-open. It does have a slightly yellow cast, though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 J9s, both the older silver ones. One in M39 mount and the other in LTM mount. Both good lenses, but buying them for sharpness isn't really the right way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
caribou wrote:
I don't know. About the M42 version in the 70's, I read somewhere that it was modified to get more soft focus... that was hype at this time (remember all those vaporous portrait and of course David Hamilton). Don't know if it is right but it would be an answer, plus the "famous" variation in the russians lens production.

Yes, I've heard this story too. On top of this, there was a guide suggesting moving the front lens by a fraction of millimeter further away from the front triplet. This was supposed nullify the "soft effect".

I would be interested in this guide and if anybody actually tried it.