Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-9 MC versus MC Kaleinar-5N
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-9 MC versus MC Kaleinar-5N Reply with quote

Which one is better for portrait?

Any comment about these two Soviet lenses?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone will reply "the J-9".
I have both lenses, and honestly speaking, I don't know. Some of the J-9 features, like the sharpness stopped down, and the soft flaring wide open, are impressive, and probably what most people is after for portraits.
However, I personally find the bokeh of the J-9 simply awful, and I am not so sure to be so keen on the kind of super contrast that the lens delivers.
The Kaleinar is a more classical tele design, a well balanced lens, sharp stopped down (although not as sharp as the J-9), not a stunner, but it has a delicious creamy bokeh. I would describe it like a sharper Pentacon 135.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
(...)
However, I personally find the bokeh of the J-9 simply awful, and I am not so sure to be so keen on the kind of super contrast the lens delivers.
(...)

"He said Jehova!" Twisted Evil

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:

Michael

Sorry Sad

I was forgetting, another point in favour of the J-9 is the speed, almost one stop faster means more possibility to play with shorter DOF effects (if that is your style of portraiture).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
Orio wrote:
(...)
However, I personally find the bokeh of the J-9 simply awful, and I am not so sure to be so keen on the kind of super contrast the lens delivers.
(...)

Michael

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Well, Pilant, I only have the J-9 and I really like it, although I have realised that I have shot more portraits with a 50mm lens at my 1.6crop DSLR lately than with a short tele lens, for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Jupiter-9 !

I mostly use it at f2.8, where is gives me just enough DOF to get a person sharp. Excellent for street photography.

these and these are all taken with the J-9. In some of them you will see what Orio means about the bokeh. It's true that the bokeh isn't as smooth as with some other lenses, but I've seen much worse aswell...

Tom

Last edited by TDN on Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, gentlemen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the J-9 is perfect for the kind of contemporary, energetic street portraits that Tom makes.

Here's some quick and rushed samples I took for you from my Kaleinar (click on thumbnails, then again on the enlarged image to reach 100% enlargement if necessary). They are no portrait, but at least you'll be able to see some output form the lens:

1. wide open:

2. wide open:

3. stopped down to f/8 (I think):

4. stopped down to f/8:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again Orio.

I think it's still sharp even at wide open (first 2 pics.)

Ummm.... I have to think about them, which one I'll choose.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hesitate take both they have different character and they are not expensive at all. If you not like any of them easy to sell what you don't want to keep.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used same time Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 120mm f2.8 and Jupiter-9 I guess Jupiter-9 beat Biometar.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the Kaleinar just a copy of the Nikon E-series 100mm f2.8? The Kaleinar is, I think, generally overpriced because of its exotic Russian value - but the Nikon is really cheap. Actually, you can pick up a *really* nice Nikkor 105mm f2.5 for the same money as some of the Kaleinars on eBay.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure both Nikkor lens are better, I have 105mm lens non-AI P.C means multi-coated and an AIS. AIS is exceptional lens, non-AI is very good. I hear a lot of good thing about 100mm Series E lens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet wrote:
Isn't the Kaleinar just a copy of the Nikon E-series 100mm f2.8?

I already heard this thing but I think it's an unfunded rumour.
By the way, most Nikkor lenses are in turn copies of German lens designs, so it would be a story of who copies whom first Wink . I think Soviet lenses were derived from German models directly, as a result of post war events. The Kaleinar photos look every bit like the Meyer or Zeiss Jena tele lenses photos, with that added "Russian spice" (i.e. increased sharpness stopped down).

In any case, I can make a direct comparison test: I own both lenses Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let we see ! I vote for Nikkor in sharpness, but perhaps Kaleinar has more artistic effects.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J9 see the bokeh for yourself! original