Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9: Id mount type
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 9: Id mount type Reply with quote

Hello All,

This is my 1st Jupiter, and from looking at pictures shared by the seller I am not able to correlate and find the mount type. Any help Iding the mount type, would greatly help.

Thanks,
-Michael.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this lens on eBay too. Have you try to unscrew the rear part?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a lot like a Praktina mount.

Interestingly the uncommon Soviet Start SLR also had a very similar mount.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a DIY screw on adapter to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This model is originaly a M39 thread mount, look closer to see if the diy mount is on the M39 or replace it.
It looks like the bayonet is screwed to the M39...if so you should be able to unscrew it. I don't recognise the bayonet...

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musashichan wrote:
This model is originaly a M39 thread mount, look closer to see if the diy mount is on the M39 or replace it.
It looks like the bayonet is screwed to the M39...if so you should be able to unscrew it. I don't recognise the bayonet...

To be more specific, if it has a 39mm thread underneath, then it will be ZTM39 rather than LTM39. When it comes to these lenses, the term "M39" causes much confusion and in my view should be avoided.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
Musashichan wrote:

To be more specific, if it has a 39mm thread underneath, then it will be ZTM39 rather than LTM39. When it comes to these lenses, the term "M39" causes much confusion and in my view should be avoided.

I always use M39 for 39mm thread for reflex and L39 for 39mm thread for Leica, or LTM. Even on the adapters it's sometime written M39 for LTM and it drives me crazy Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musashichan wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:
Musashichan wrote:

I always use M39 for 39mm thread for reflex and L39 for 39mm thread for Leica, or LTM. Even on the adapters it's sometime written M39 for LTM and it drives me crazy Smile

I used to do the same until I started to sell adapters, but I get customers that originally bought LTM adapters for ZTM lenses due to the liberal use of "M39" I feel I have a duty to popularise the term ZTM39 where appropriate. Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZT is for Zenit i presume ?
For a beginner i'm not sure this is more revelant than M39. We often see M39 for reflex...
On my sales i always insist on the full name : L39 for Rangefinder or Leica Thread Mount / not to confuse with etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musashichan wrote:
For a beginner i'm not sure this is more revelant than M39. We often see M39 for reflex...
On my sales i always insist on the full name : L39 for Rangefinder or Leica Thread Mount / not to confuse with etc.

I believe that "Z" stands for Zenit, it's the term Vladislav Kern of USSRphoto.com told me to use in a similar conversation to the one I'm having with you! He's the subject of next weeks Classic Lenses Podcast on Monday 6th May, and the photo shows his collection of Soviet equipment. He tells me that the collection has grown by about 30% since the photo was taken...

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
Musashichan wrote:

I believe that "Z" stands for Zenit, it's the term Vladislav Kern of USSRphoto.com told me to use in a similar conversation to the one I'm having with you! He's the subject of next weeks Classic Lenses Podcast on Monday 6th May, and the photo shows his collection of Soviet equipment. He tells me that the collection has grown by about 30% since the photo was taken...

Let's try to use this so, this man is a encyclopedia. This picture is amazing !

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musashichan wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:
Musashichan wrote:

Let's try to use this so, this man is a encyclopedia. This picture is amazing !

I'm really looking forward to chatting with Vlad, the episode will effectively be a history lesson.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look this

http://ussrlens.com/camera/zenit-cmh-and-white/start

http://ussrlens.com/components/com_zo2framework/includes/timthumb.php?w=780&h=560&src=http://ussrlens.com/images/gallery/SG204843.jpg

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
Musashichan wrote:

Not the case here I know, but all my M39 lenses are neither ZTM39 or LTM39, just enlarger lenses, each with different registration...

I'm all for showing the distinction, I get rather annoyed but the number of e-bay listings using 'M42' for T2 mount.
M42 has for decades been used to refer to M42x1 in the Practica/Pentax screw mount.
The T2 thread is M42x0.75 to my mind if the x0.75 is left off it should have a pitch of 1mm unless T2 has also been mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:
Musashichan wrote:

Not the case here I know, but all my M39 lenses are neither ZTM39 or LTM39, just enlarger lenses, each with different registration...

I'm all for showing the distinction, I get rather annoyed but the number of e-bay listings using 'M42' for T2 mount.
M42 has for decades been used to refer to M42x1 in the Practica/Pentax screw mount.
The T2 thread is M42x0.75 to my mind if the x0.75 is left off it should have a pitch of 1mm unless T2 has also been mentioned.

The more these things are discussed the better, the vast majority of of active posters in this forum know what they are talking about, it's those people that find their way here via Google etc that give me more cause for concern as they usually read comments by knowledgeable people that are then taken out of context through the lack of a fuller understanding of the terms commonly used.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an adapter to Start bayonet screwed on LTM mount. I hope it was not glued.

Vladislav has every single variation of any camera (almost), he has an amazing collection. When I have a question about camera (not my speciality), I know he will have the answer. I will listen to the podcast!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapter is unlikely to be DIY as it is brass with chrome plating.....Surely a manufactured product.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This adapter was included in the Start set.
You can see it here

From Thierry Hacquard collection

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
This adapter was included in the Start set.
You can see it here

From Thierry Hacquard collection

it is true.

"... Предусмотрев наперёд, что объективы с таким байонетом не скоро станут на поток, на КМЗ доукомплектовали фотоаппарат переходным кольцом. Оно позволяет устанавливать на «СТАРТ» объективы с резьбовым креплением м39. Это существенно увеличивало парк оптики... "

prompt translated:

"Having provided beforehand that lenses with such bayonet joint will become on a stream not soon, on KMZ have understaffed the camera with a transitional ring. It allows to establish on "START" lenses with carving fastening m39. It significantly increased the park of optics."

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what a "community" means...

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not expect so much help. Thanks a lot. I gather, this is m39 mount screwed on top with the bayonet type adapter. I will have the lens by the weekend, and confirm it.

Thanks,
-Michael.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:

"... Предусмотрев наперёд, что объективы с таким байонетом не скоро станут на поток, на КМЗ доукомплектовали фотоаппарат переходным кольцом. Оно позволяет устанавливать на «СТАРТ» объективы с резьбовым креплением м39. Это существенно увеличивало парк оптики... "

prompt translated:

"Having provided beforehand that lenses with such bayonet joint will become on a stream not soon, on KMZ have understaffed the camera with a transitional ring. It allows to establish on "START" lenses with carving fastening m39. It significantly increased the park of optics."

Was it so that the other Start-bayonet lenses were never produced, just Helios-44?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received the glass today, with a gentle hand twist the bayonet adapter come right off.
I love the construction & the glass (appearance). Have to wait for the m39 adapter ring. I will post some shots and compare it against my excellent biometar.
Appreciate all the help; as someone mentioned, we have a Great, very helpful community here.

Thanks,
-Michael.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
sergtum wrote:

prompt translated:

Was it so that the other Start-bayonet lenses were never produced, just Helios-44?

Yes, they only produced the Helios-44 for Start.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vlad/Soviet Special is now up, more details on the Classic Lenses Podcast thread.