Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9 for Kiev 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 9 for Kiev 4 Reply with quote

What is the purpose of this part?
The front end of this part contacts with one spring and by turning the focus ring this spring make some noise.
Can I use the lens without this part?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is aperture control. Yes you can remove that part. Photos will follow later.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the apperture controle, it's the part which is coupled with focusing part of Kiev 4. What adapter are you using?

It's usefull if you're using Kiev camera, since it make the focus able to be controled from the camera body. If you're using other camera, I guess it's not usefull, but still a pity to remove/shave it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it is quite easy to remove it. It does nothing and is connected to other parts of cameras via spring.

On attached picture, you can see such lens adapted to minolta AF (with WORKING AF!)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you give us more details of how that J9 was converted to Minolta AF please.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glass assembly of Jupiter 9 with aperture is solid piece, which just screws into helicoid/lens body. Some russian user discovered that it has huge similarity with Minolta 35-70 kit lens, so you basically unscrew the minolta glass parts and aperture, and screw in Jupiter 9 assembly. Sure, aperture is still manual, but AF perfectly usable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I have the 35-80 kit lens, which is optically junk, you might have given me an idea.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be different from 35-70.

I have minolta 35-70, and compared to sigmas/etc of same power, it is great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how it was done:

http://club.foto.ru/forum/39/634271