Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9 Bokeh Examples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Jupiter 9 Bokeh Examples Reply with quote

Well, I finally got a chance to squirrel around my home area with my Jupiter 9. It's almost embarrassing to have had this lens nearly a month, and not use it much. I'll make up for it though. And, my excuse is that I have run 6 rolls of film with the Takumar 135/3.5 pre-set lens.

So anyway, here is a variety of wide-open, or nearly wide-open J9 images. As always, these are for testing rather than for some kind of artistic or esthetic value! Laughing

Jupiter-9 85/2 on Revuenon 3003

Old paint mixer abandoned in junk pile. Good bokeh test for the verticals in the background. HP5 in Rodinol.

Paint mixer - shows the critically thin depth of field. HP5 in Rodinol.

Rose Hips. Fuji Sensia

Willow Trees. Decent bokeh, not spectacular, but workable. Fuji Sensia

Sword Ferns against creek. This test shot gives me a good idea that I should use f:4 or so next time, to get the entire row of ferns in focus, but still have the background soft. Fuji Sensia

Bog grasses and hypercelium against pond. This bokeh was very satisfying to me. I like the very sharp in-focus area at middle bottom of image.

So overall, I am pleased. Bokeh averages as workable, but I can certainly see that, for portraits, the depth of field is quite critical with this lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think these shots are beautiful!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots - f4 seems a good compromise on these short teles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures Laurence!
It is very useful to me that you indicate the film and chemicals. I can learn about their combined looks this way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots!. I'm just trying mine, no results yet.
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed Laurence. I'm in need of a prime lens in the 85-100 range but I've been doubtful about the J-9 in the past because the out-of-focus areas in some of the pictures I've seen have been distracting. I think the OOF areas in your shots are beautiful and you've made up my mind! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Laurence
I just get mine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

front & back OOF with my Jupiter-9 LZOS made :

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence

great examples - you do nothing to help the self-control of those of us who do not have this fine lens.

(Florent - cute and you too))

Smile Smile patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks all of you! I didn't put these up for a beauty contest, but I'll take any positives I can get!

Allow me to discuss on a few comments here, since this is a forum where exchange of information from each other is one of the reasons we come on here:

Richard wote: Very nice shots - f4 seems a good compromise on these short teles.
Good point on the f:stop, Richard. In the dark image of the ferns, I think that f4 would give just about a foot or so of depth of field, and I'll try that next time, since this group of ferns is near my home. It will be interesting to see what f4 does to the out of focus areas, and I'll show a comparison so that we can learn more about characteristics and distances.

Orio wrote: It is very useful to me that you indicate the film and chemicals. I can learn about their combined looks this way.
Orio, Rodinal 6 minutes, ratio of 1 to 25 at 68 degrees F (20C). Someone told me that it would be too grainy, but it seems just fine to me. I gently agitated and knocked out bubbles each minute. This was the Ilford recommendation, I think.

Peter wrote: because the out-of-focus areas in some of the pictures I've seen have been distracting.
Peter, I think that overall, at least in this particular group of tests, that the bokeh isn't too bad at all. It is a bit distracting in the willows image until it fades off to about 5 feet away. It seems extremely good in the last image of the bog grass. The water surface there was about 5 to 10 feet distant.

Florent wrote: front & back OOF with my Jupiter-9 LZOS made
Florent: VERY nice! Seems smoother somehow than my images; however, I suppose it depends on the subject and the elements in the OOF areas? Florent, what does LZOS mean?

What I am seeing so far:
1. Very critical depth of field
2. Sharpness at in-focus areas better than I thought (image of bog grasses with very sharp in-focus at bottom)
3. Bokeh of distant verticals moderately pleasing (first shot with distant trees).
4. Bokeh of smooth water background with cloud reflections very pleasing.
5. Color rendition with Fuji Sensia warm and accurate. I don't feel over saturation.
6. Rodinal with HP5 at recommended process has slight warm cast, does not seem overly grainy. Perhaps a little bit harsh on the second image.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shoot, this picture has great atmosphere.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, all of these are nice shots, but the sword fern is my fave! Did
you do your own scans on the Epson 2450?

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LZOS is one of the many factories in USSR that made the Jupiter-9.

Most of each factories has his own logo :

http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/logos/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos. Cool Cool

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote: Very nice shoot, this picture has great atmosphere.
I certainly agree! Steve, the image is smooth and beautiful with outstanding out of focus areas.

Bill wrote: Larry, all of these are nice shots, but the sword fern is my fave! Did you do your own scans on the Epson 2450?
Bill, I did use the Epson 2450; however, I do have access to a Nikon proprietary scanner, just haven't set it up yet with the SCSI card. On the Epson, I went to full auto mode at 2400dpi with sharpening turned off, then Unsharp Mask in Photoshop at 150/1.5/0, then sized the image down for the web, and that was it. I am going to try again with SilverFast and the "match" to Fuji film, and see what happens. Do you want me to post the results for comparisons, if that will help you?

Florent wrote: LZOS is one of the many factories in USSR that made the Jupiter-9
Thanks, Florent!

Bob wrote: Great photos.
Thank you too, Bob. These weren't meant to be esthetic images, but as I said before, I'll take the praise!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Larry, please post comparative results, most interested! I have
to get my Pentax Spotmatic SP fixed up so I can use some of these
M42 lenses for film!

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Yes, Larry, please post comparative results, most interested! I have
to get my Pentax Spotmatic SP fixed up so I can use some of these
M42 lenses for film!

Bill

Yes, you should! I guess I'm preaching to the choir, but you know how fun it is to use film! When the scanner is tuned in, the film can be really manipulated if it's a "bad" shot that needs work. I would look forward to some film scans from you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my most recent J9 pics:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet wrote:
One of my most recent J9 pics:

Ooooohh I want your cat!!!! Very Happy

-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wide open oof highlights can become "busy" but still unique character and not all together unapealing (about 8 foot between subject and background)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1054/965886635_bfebd2757a_b.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet, that is an extraordinary shot! The patterns on the cat's fur seems to match up nicely with the background. Well balanced, and beautiful exposure indeed. Nice work.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
wide open oof highlights can become "busy" but still unique character and not all together unapealing (about 8 foot between subject and background)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1054/965886635_bfebd2757a_b.jpg

Hacksaw, that is one fine example for the background highlights. I am glad you indicated the distance, as that is how I learn yet another little fact about the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, those superb cat shoots! Amazing!