Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9 and Jupiter 12
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Jupiter 9 and Jupiter 12 Reply with quote

I've finally managed to shoot a roll of Fuji ISO400 colour neg film in my Kiev and get it processed and scanned. Local developing and scanning service isn't brilliant but this is the only way I can get images from my 35/2.8 Kiev fit Jupiter at present. The 35mm Jupiter looks pretty sharp on the negatives and the scans don't really do it justice. The 85mm I can use on my lumix but it seemed like a good idea to try it on film as well. Again, the scans don't properly show what it can do. And to my great surprise and relief the shutter on the Kiev gives correct exposures, although I didn't rely on the built in light meter.

Jupiter 12 at f8

Jupiter 12 at f8

Jupiter 9 at f2

Jupiter 9 at f2.8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately shop scans never really do justice to a lens. But from what I can see it still looks great.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures, I'd be very happy with those results.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, especially the second and the last.

I think I read somewhere on the forum that Attila has a friend who manufactures adapters for Kiev mount lenses to NEX if you would like to use them with a digital setup.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJB - thanks for the note about adapter for NEX. I have a Lumix whose throat isn't wide enough to accept the back of the Jupiter - I'm not sure if the Nex is wider. I read somewhere that the new Sony A7 family can take the J-12 but right now I can't afford to buy one.

The quality of the locally done scans is pretty poor - I don't think the scanner has been cleaned in a long while going by the amount of dust spots on the scans. I've retouched some of them on these pics but you can see a couple of huge ones in two of the pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the specifics of the J-12? Like the register and where it is measured from? I've always wondered how to go about adapting it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos,they look pretty good to me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
JJB - thanks for the note about adapter for NEX. I have a Lumix whose throat isn't wide enough to accept the back of the Jupiter - I'm not sure if the Nex is wider. I read somewhere that the new Sony A7 family can take the J-12 but right now I can't afford to buy one.

The problem with an aps-c nex is that the j-12 would stand too close to the sensor and interfere with the shutter, or some other mechanical part just close to the nex's sensor. The only digital cameras on which it can be used, as far as I know, is the sony A7 family.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything: To my knowledge, the A7 uses the same adapters as NEX, so the sensor must be the same distance. Does that imply any mechanicals are also same distance? I don't know. I'm at a loss to understand this whacky lens mount.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the rear of J-12 interferes with baffle around sensor of APS-C NEXes. Since sensor is larger on A7, the baffle on A7 has a wider throat, and so there is no interference anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
As far as I know, the rear of J-12 interferes with baffle around sensor of APS-C NEXes. Since sensor is larger on A7, the baffle on A7 has a wider throat, and so there is no interference anymore.

Ah, okay. So how close is back of lens to sensor?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no personal experience, that's what I've read on the net. I think Nordentro has both A7 and J-12, so he would know for sure. In any case, J-12 is safe with A7 as you can see here http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-vs-canon-vs-nikkor-rf-battle-ii-t64371.html and not usable with APS-C NEXes.