Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9 85mm f2 (M42): first shots and a question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 9 85mm f2 (M42): first shots and a question Reply with quote

Well, you all know how great this lens is (I bought it beacause of the recommendations here). Can anyone tell me why there is an aperture ring and an aperture limiter? How do you use the aperture limiter and why would you want to?

Anyway, here are my first pictures from my new lens (on an E-1). Don't know why but all the images from my first test seemed better to lend themselves to black and white:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First pic is terrific Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Puplet

I am copying and pasting my message to Jes about the Helios 44-2 which works in the same way:

<It's called a pre-set lens. It's used like this: First you pre-set the outermost dial to the aperture setting you want to use set against the red mark right on the front edge of the lens barrel. The setting is your choice, depending on the available light, film speed, shutter speed and the depth-of-field you're looking for. The outer dial does NOT close the diaphragm - that's the function of the second dial. This arrangement allows you to focus at full aperture and then quickly turn the second dial to close the diaphragm to your chosen setting without needing to take the camera from your eye. Once you get used to this it's a great help.

Remember this lens was designed for cameras with no automatic functions. When you use it on a modern AE camera in Av mode, the camera adjusts the shutter speed using its meter reading to suit your aperture setting. This makes it a lot simpler. As I said in another thread yesterday, as the exposure value will be the same wherever the second dial is set, this becomes virtually a continuous bokeh control. >
>

I hope this makes sense. I generally leave the outer ring set on the smallest aperture all the time, focus at wideest aperture and then just turn the inner ring to somewhere around the middle position to suit the depth of field I'm looking for.

Nice cat pics! (Sh, don't tell Orio, but I like dogs better! Smile)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These pre-set lenses are perfect on DSLR cameras if you use split screen for focusing. You able to set the sharpness at wide open and close the aperture in convince way. Lot better than on newest lens when you need to rotate the aperture ring close to the camera body.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Jupiter 9 is the black, non-MC version. It flares really easily - but I am beginning to think that this is a good thing - it makes everything look like a dream - does anyone agree?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great cat pic!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet: Thats a killer pic... what a capture...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without flair this capture would be more great and if cat eyes looks more clear.On my every portrait even human on animal doesn't matter I like shiny eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics, first one is special.

Yes, the J9 produces dreamy images at f2, when stopped down it gets sharp and precise.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Jupiter-9 black MC and Jupiter-9 Silver the oldest one, I sold this black non-mc lens. Both are excellent, silver has less contrast and sharp enough at wide open. Jupiter-9 is one the best portrait lens and such a small lens almost same size than an 50mm lens. I can't make any significant difference between them. One times I made portraits same time with Jupiter-9 silver and Nikkor-H 85mm f1.8 I couldn't find any difference between them!Another time I made portrait with Jupiter-9 MC , CZJ Biotar 75mm f1.5 , CZJ Biometar 120mm , Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 and Pentacon 135mm f2.8 zebra.
Guess who was the first two lens in my opinion? Jupiter-9 and Pentacon 135mm f2.8.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Jupiter 9 MC less prone to flair than the black non-MC version?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess so , but I not tested same time them.As usual I use Jupiter-9 for portrait only , in this case flair resistance is not important my modells are also not flair resistant Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my first portrait with my (black) Jupiter-9, taken in very bright sunshine. No flare at all! This portrait was taken for a very good friend of mine who wanted an image to use on online communities.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Jupiter-9 (CZJ Sonnar) just excellent. You never go wrong with Russian lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I have Jupiter-9 black MC and Jupiter-9 Silver the oldest one, ...I made portraits same time with Jupiter-9 silver and Nikkor-H 85mm f1.8 I couldn't find any difference between them!.

I have Jupiter-9 85/2 and Nikkor-h 85/1.8 C, over f5.6 very small difference with a bokeh for Jupiter very pleasing, but under f5.6 Nikkor is very very sharp, from f2.0 Nikkor is a lot better, sharp, contrast and better colors saturation, bokeh is dense but too much marked and not pleasing, bokeh of Jupiter is beautiful!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Nice to see you here! Hopefully you will share more and more impression and experience with us.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Erez! Part of me wants to be a professional cat photographer Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Welcome! Nice to see you here! Hopefully you will share more and more impression and experience with us.

Thanks and compliments for the forum, i live in Italia (Naples) and i have a good passion for manual lens (Zeiss, Jupiter, Yashica, Nikkor and other).

I'm happy for sharing my experiences and read yours.