Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-9 85mm f/2 vs Nikon 85mm f/2 AI
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Jupiter-9 85mm f/2 vs Nikon 85mm f/2 AI Reply with quote

If you had a choice between these two lenses at similar price and condition, which would you choose and why?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take this with a grain of salt if you want to .......... but .....
These two lenses can both be excellent and the results simply lovely.
However from all that I have seen, the Jupiters can be very good or very .......... less than good.
The Nikkors are universally good and every example is going to keep on keeping on with excellence in engineering across the range.
The Jupiters can be good or can need attention
For the same price and in similarly good condition I would choose a Nikon every time because I would know what I was getting.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Oldhand. That does seem to be something that comes up about the Jupiter's, particularly sticky focus rings.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the j-9 but, if the price is similar, I'd take the nikkor: usually it goes for almost 2x the price of a comparable conditions j-9 so you either found a very cheap nikkor or an expensive jupiter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. I have a black J-9 but one of the aperture blades broke and jammed. It gives lovely colours and a swirly bokeh if you're into
that. My only useable 85 now is the Super-Takumar f1.9 - that's a nice lens to look out for too. The S-M-C f1.8 is even better I'm told.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have/had both lenses, they are basically identical not much difference, Jupiter is Sonnar lens , even stopped down bokeh, aperture rings in background will be more smooth easily. Nikkor sharper wide open.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikon 85mm f/2 is a Xenotar/Biometar type lens which is much sharper than the old Sonnar type Jupiter-9. If you need a sharp lens with better flare resistance, get the Nikkor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! Picked up a good condition Nikkor.

My needed focal lengths are now complete! (he says with the confidence that he needs to buy no more lenses for years - did that sound even mildly believable?)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good decision! I've owned multiple copies of both and dollar for dollar Nikkor is better in every conceivable way.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd choose the nikon. I have owned both, a nikon in poor condition and a Jupiter in good condition. The nikon was sharper with better contrast but the Jupiter had better bokeh.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if the choices were those two only, I'd also go for the sharper lens. However, since I have other lenses in the same focal range that are very sharp, I'm very happy with my J-9 for it's different rendering and multi-bladed diaphragm. I had a very sharp Hexanon 1.8/85 that I sold, keeping the Jupiter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the rendering of the Contax G 90mm too in this range, but it seems to be more than double the price of the Nikkor for a nice one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will always be a better and more expensive one, or at least the latter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens has arrived and it's in great condition. Focus is smooth, and it works better than any other lens I have with the NEX-6 focus peaking (Fujinon 55mm is close, but this is noticeably better). It's a really late serial (347xxx), so should be a 1995 copy. On the Lens Turbo it behaves like a 93mm f/1.4-ish lens, directly on the NEX-6 it behaves like a 127.5mm f/2, and it doesn't take up much space/weight in the bag.

Thank you all for the advice!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, can anyone tell me why 85mm lenses are so much more expensive than than 50 and 135?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is likely other stuff too, but I think part of it for used lenses comes down to rarity. There are just soooo many nifty-fifty's out there. I think the 135mm difference is because the designs are simpler and they are usually slower. I may be talking out my hat though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1kgcoffee wrote:
On a side note, can anyone tell me why 85mm lenses are so much more expensive than than 50 and 135?

Numbers produced?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously it is rarity. 50/55mm and 135mm are the most common lenses available.
Small telelenses are for me very usefull.
I like very much the range 85/105 on FF, I have no APS-C camera but I can imagine that I would prefer a 50/55mm with such a camera.