Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-9 85/2 RF - Now a comparison with M39
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Jupiter-9 85/2 RF - Now a comparison with M39 Reply with quote

First outing with this old RF version of the J-9.

Last edited by woodrim on Sun May 26, 2013 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, especially the ones from the beach. You have some dirt on your sensor. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third one shows a nice 3D rendering and awesome sharpness.
Nice samples.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Miran: While I do have the usual scattered dust bunny on my sensor, that first picture was peppered in the sky with spots from water droplets on the front of the lens. I didn't do the best job in cleaning them up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Nice samples.

Jes.

+ 1 Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures as usual Smile I love them all. You prove it why I bought all possible variants Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 has very nice light.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank y'all for the comments. I have not yet settled on my assessment of this lens. I have observed that it seems very soft wide open, but sharpens considerably when stopped down. I didn't keep records during the outing, so I don't know for sure how much aperture is needed before it gets good, and my method of stopping down is more a turn of the ring than a precise setting. The thing that struck me more than anything is the amount of yellow tint to the images. Is this common with these lenses? Attila? The coating looks blue, but the tint is so much yellow that it makes the sky look green. A click of a button in PS fixes all that, so no big deal, and keeping some of the tint leads to a warm look which I usually like. I left more of the tint in the first fence picture and as it turns out, I like that tone. The log where hoanpham commented on the lighting is another example. It looks as though it was late day light from the sun, but it was actually very bright mid day lighting. That picture is also an example of how sharp it gets when stopped down to around f/5.6-8 (a guess). The picket fence picture was probably at f/2 and while the narrow point of focus may seem sharp, it's more of a perception created by the surrounding blur, however, I do like the bokeh. This is another lens I need to learn in order to maximize its strengths and minimize its weaknesses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my RF copies are sharp wide open, SLR lenses a bit soft wide open and very sharp from F4 , I think design feature. RF lenses are significantly sharper wide open. If yours is soft, something not properly aligned inside.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the yellow tint?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No tint at all Sad

http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-9-8-5cm-f2-0-1955-red-p-leica-screw-t51723,highlight,%2Bjupiter+%2B9.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-9-red-p-8-5cm-f2-kiev-contax-mount-1957-t49067,highlight,%2Bjupiter+%2B9.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-9-8-5cm-f2-red-p-1955-badly-scratched-front-sony-nex-t49455,highlight,%2Bjupiter+%2B9.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-8-5cm-f2-red-p-kiev-contax-rf-sony-nex-3-t47036,highlight,%2Bjupiter+%2B9.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-8-5cm-f2-l39-red-p-panasonic-g1-t38587,highlight,%2Bjupiter+%2B9.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may need to stand corrected on the sharpness issue. It may have been a matter of glow from the bright areas. Did they ever use radioactive elements? Here is a full size image straight out of camera jpeg where I think it was at f/2 - at least suggested by the max shutter speed of 1/4000. You can see the tone and if you look at one of the front spokes of the bike, you will see the glow from the bright reflection. Thanks for your thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
All of my RF copies are sharp wide open, SLR lenses a bit soft wide open and very sharp from F4 , I think design feature. RF lenses are significantly sharper wide open. If yours is soft, something not properly aligned inside.

+1. My M42 SLR MC version is soft at f/2 and f/2.8 - soft as if using a soft filter. The L39 version was sharp right from f/2.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Jesito wrote:
Nice samples.

Jes.

+ 1 Very Happy

+1+1

I really like the detail in the texture of this image. The lens should do a really nice job on facial features like eyes, eye-lashes, lips, etc., of course assuming you are photographing a young model without wrinkles.....or an old sea captain whose craggy features you wish to emphasize.

Nice images - lens looks good!

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good samples I would say!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots with a great lens ! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave the J-9 another go over the past weekend. Only stopped down to around f/2.5 - probably should have gone to f/2.8-3, but sharp enough for these pictures. The yellow tint creates a very warm image that is easy to control in PP. The overall IQ is unique and pleasing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the images, and like the lens too.

At F/5,6-8 it is a very sharp lens. I sold the three I had (fool, fool, fool, fool,........).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey nice again, but last is unbeatable Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonyrokkor wrote:
I like the images, and like the lens too.

At F/5,6-8 it is a very sharp lens. I sold the three I had (fool, fool, fool, fool,........).

I agree, it does sharpen up quite well when stopped down and at f/5.6 it's more than good enough. I still need to find the open most point where it becomes acceptably sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Thanks, usually a squirrel keeps on the move, making it difficult to capture, especially with manual focus, but you already know that. I had just missed a shot of a squirrel running along the top of a beautiful stone wall where the squirrel would have been a silhouette. This one stopped when he saw me and just stayed there watching me for as long as I needed. A cooperative squirrel indeed!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice examples, I need to blow the dust off mine and have a play with it again. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Attila wrote:

Thanks, usually a squirrel keeps on the move, making it difficult to capture, especially with manual focus, but you already know that. I had just missed a shot of a squirrel running along the top of a beautiful stone wall where the squirrel would have been a silhouette. This one stopped when he saw me and just stayed there watching me for as long as I needed. A cooperative squirrel indeed!

Thanks for story even better with this.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now received a near mint 1966 J-9 M39 version. Initial tests are impressive and give me a new respect for this lens. I hope to get out tomorrow and give it a work out along with new Tair-11 from the same seller. My first impressions are that this one is sharper at wide open than the RF version earlier in this post. There is no yellowing of the glass, so colors are normal. For now, here are only two shots taken today just as tests. Both are wide open, the first from a distance and then cropped 25%. The second from close up, no cropping and no extra sharpening on either post camera.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's shows a quality lens , can you post pic from lens itself ?